Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » "The Unit" ****SPOILER*****

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "The Unit" ****SPOILER*****
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, last week, "Hector", one of the main characters on the show "The Unit", was killed while rescuing a hostage. "The Unit" is, IMO, one of, if not the, best shows on television today or ever. I wish he had not had to die. I loved his character, and he was a brave and loyal soldier. Even though I know he was an actor playing a part I actually feel bad that he is dead. Because I know that he represented "real" United States soldiers out there fighting every day.

So, imagine how I feel about the thousands of "real" soldiers that are dying defending our country every day and right now. God Bless them on Memorial Day, and every day. Their orders and missions, and the politicians that formulate the policy from which they emanate, may not always be up to the high standards of the country they proudly and honorably serve, or the ideas which our country are built on, but the honor and spirit of the soldiers that carry them out is, always.

God bless our military, the USA, and the Flag for which it stands.

KE

PS, (Show me an organization that has never made a mistake and I'll show you an organization that doesn't exist. But American soldiers embark on their missions with honor in their hearts.)

[ November 16, 2007, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WeAreAllJust LooseChange
Member # 3411

- posted      Profile for WeAreAllJust LooseChange         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God bless the millions of civilians in the world who died at the hands of USA military, the USA government and in the name of the Flag for which it stands.
Posts: 174 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WAAJLC, you are obviously an exceptionally compassionate and completely rational individual.

KE, This is one of my favorite shows and my wife and I have watched every episode. I'm glad you watch it too, it is a truly unique show that captures the deepest issues facing our servicemen and women while providing amazing entertainment value. I read the book "Inside Delta Force" on which the show was based. These men who are in "the Unit" are truly exceptional. I am amazed that while training for hostage situations members of the team are actually sitting in the room as "hostages" and the "rescue team" uses live rounds - and have never had a fatality!

I couldn't believe that Hector was killed either, I am going to miss him desperately. The question is now whether Hector confided in anyone else about the affair he witnessed before he was killed.

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE

Great show but the affair is the one thing that bothers me. Not her so much, as the guy she is having it with. What type of honor does that guy have, to do that to one of his troops. And I would have thought she would have ended it when the husband found out she was messing around.

Snake Doctor for President. [Smile]

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by WeAreAllJust LooseChange:
God bless the millions of civilians in the world who died at the hands of USA military, the USA government and in the name of the Flag for which it stands.

Millions murdered by the US military? I suspected it, now I know for sure. You're a nutcase.
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G2

While I think WAAJLC has an odd world view, if you look at his grammer he does say the military and the USA gov. If you blame all the worlds ills on the USA gov. then it might be responsible for the deaths of millions.

Now, that is a stretch, unlike say, the gov. of Russia, China, Cambodia, etc, where litteraly millions were executed by thier own gov.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WeAreAllJust LooseChange
Member # 3411

- posted      Profile for WeAreAllJust LooseChange         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. "Died at the hands of" was incorrect statement.
"Died because of direct or indirect involvement of" is more accurate statement, right?

(Maybe I should've taken those ESL lessons after all...)

G2 if you believe CIA is much better than KGB was, to me it will be the same as believing that the guy who orders a murder is far better than the murderer itself.

Change

Posts: 174 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Show me a military force with more honor or a better record and you'll be showing me a short list of a non-consequential countries (countries that haven't had to deal with the responsibility that comes with the power we have.). We aren't perfect, but we are as good as there has ever been. And can you tell me of ANY country that has ruled the world throughout history that has RESTRAINED itself to the point we have? And or one that has acted so many times and so much on behalf of other people and other countries instead of solely on behalf of its people and its interests? My friend, we could rule the world. We don't because what we would have to do would be wrong, and we have honor.

And yes the CIA was as bad, AND as good, or better, than the KGB. Somehow they managed to keep us from destroying the planet. Personally; I appreciate that. I live here.

And you're right, government. When civilians have died it is usually because of politicians putting 19 year old "draftees" into war zones, and or direct orders such as Hiroshima or Nagasaki. (Which one could argue FDR and his cronies goaded us in to.)

As I've said; we are human. But I believe our military forces have honor and patriotism, for that I honor them. God bless the USA and the military that protects it. And God forgive us our trespasses. And have mercy on us for those we've wrongly killed.

"Nobody hates war more than a soldier."

M2, as the residing president of the Ornery Chivalry Belief Club I totally one hundred percent agree with your assessment of the affair the Colonel is having. Affair bad enough. Affair with another soldier's wife, bad enough. Affair with a lower ranking soldier bad enough. Affair with a soldier under your direct command, firing squad. Affair with the wife of a man that can kill you faster than you can blink, priceless.

That betrayal kills me. We've all done things we aren't proud of, but there are some lines you don't cross.

KE

[ November 21, 2007, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This last episode was pretty good. I get the feeling that the affair is over.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page