Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » OSC guest host on Rusty Humphries

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OSC guest host on Rusty Humphries
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On November 14th OSC was a guest host on the Rusty Humphries show. I'm listening to the first hour right now. I love the guy, but then again I'm a bigot. Anyway, just an FYI for those who do want to listen.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that Mr. Humphries' listeners were exposed to a totally different viewpoint than what they usually hear from Mr. Humphries.
Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(wink wink)
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Kent, how did it go? Would you say our hero was a success? I've listened to him on a podcast interview and was surprised by how he sounded in real life, but how would you say he was received by the listeners? And do you think it's something he might do more of.

PS, thanks for telling us. I wish I had seen it earlier. I definitely would have listened. Did anyone from OA call in, or did anyone mention Ornery?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was the 13th.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

I've only listened to the first hour so far (which is more like a half an hour), and he actually is a great storyteller. I really liked his commentary on Nancy Pelosi and the montage of her 8 or 10 introductions of "the next president of the United States," which have been various candidates over the years. He mentions how nervous he was in his last Rhinotimes column, but he sounded pretty good and didn't really make any mistakes. The link I provided will let you listen to the shows he did, just click on download and listen in Quicktime.
WeAreAllJust LooseChange
Member # 3411

- posted      Profile for WeAreAllJust LooseChange         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right - Rusty Humphry is a bigot.
A big one too (judging from the first 15 minutes I heard on ) And OSC was on the show on 11/13/07 (not the 14th.) BTW.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If I express moderate ideas radically people pay a little bit more attention." -OSC

In response to a comment that moderate ideas aren't sexy enough for the media. My favorite quote so far, half way through the 2nd hr.

Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WeAreAllJust LooseChange
Member # 3411

- posted      Profile for WeAreAllJust LooseChange         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"White bears have no problems with global warming. They can swim!!!" (by OSC on the show - not verbatim quote)

I wish OSC tried to do that himself:
- to swim between razor sharp SMALL blocks of ice (3-4 feet in diameter), which linger in your hunting area
- not being able to climb to rest on any of these blocks, as they are not able to support your weight.

Maybe OSC might just say in this case - well - the pollar bears will just have to get thinner.

I can care less about polar bears, but OSC's logic continues to amaze me still (...for some reason)

Posts: 174 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If I express moderate ideas radically people pay a little bit more attention."

I think he expresses radical ideas moderately, myself.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
threads
Member # 5091

- posted      Profile for threads   Email threads   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite the fact that I disagree with him on many issues I've come to like OSC's speaking except when he talks about Iraq. His bit on the hidden costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan was totally ridiculous. Apparently, if we didn't invade Iraq then we would be on our way to a police state where people are scared so ****less that they won't even send their kids to school (or something along those lines). Oh and can't withdraw from Iraq now because we would lose credibility (with who?). Also, can someone refresh me on how Imperialist Islamic Fascists are going to start taking over first world countries? I heard it had something to do with breeding and Europe. Sounds sticky.

On a different note, I found the third part of the broadcast most enjoyable [Smile]

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of nonpartisan points.

1. I don't know why it surprised me but I was happy to hear how many topics he covered in a 3 hour block (much shorter with the commercials out). It wasn't a 3 hour thing on Clinton and Obama...or even about all the democrats he's upset with.

2. He mentioned his Empire book in passing to help explain something about moderates but beyond that he didn't talk about his books. I've seen so many guests/guesthosts on programs solely to plug their book/movie/album that it was refreshing when he said that there've been a lot of callers that wanted to talk about his books but that wasn't what he was there for today.

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
His bit on the hidden costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan was totally ridiculous.
I thought he meant it to be a bit ridiculous (though deadpan humor) as a way of one-upping the democrats "true cost of the war". I think it would have been more successful if he had gone into greater detail of their methods to better highlight what he was getting at, though.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

quote:
His bit on the hidden costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan was totally ridiculous.
I thought he meant it to be a bit ridiculous (though deadpan humor) as a way of one-upping the democrats "true cost of the war". I think it would have been more successful if he had gone into greater detail of their methods to better highlight what he was getting at, though.

There's just a lot of things we can't really know and to say we cost X much or saved Y much because Z might have happened or W might not have happened is a bit of a stretch in speculation.

How the war impacted our economy is something we probably will never fully understand. Some changes in the economy were bound to happen and economists can only make a semi-educated guess on what it would have been like without the war, for instance.

TaoJeannes
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for TaoJeannes   Email TaoJeannes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I really have to listen to that annoying, REALLY IRONIC intro song with every file?

For those who don't know, that song is derived from "America... f$@# yeah!" from Team America: World Police, which is a mockery of American cowboy heavy-handed attitude.

[ November 27, 2007, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: TaoJeannes ]

Posts: 279 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tao - as a self-described Libertarian...you don't like Team America?

I absolutely LOVED that movie, which skews the polemics and propaganda on both sides of the aisle quite well. While it most certainly makes a mockery of American cowboy heavy-handedness, that movie also makes a complete mockery of outspoken Hollywood leftists, and liberals that spout out mindless, emotional-based pacifist bromides masquerading as profound, enlightened philosophy.

Parker and Stone are equal opportunity offenders...

Team America....F#%@ YEAH! [LOL]

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daruma's correct, TA lampoons both sides, and fairly evenly. If anything, the movie makes fun of how stupid each sides stereotypes of their political opponents are. Plus some gratuitous but hilarious sex humor. I thought I was going to rupture my spleen when those two puppets were going at it.

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaoJeannes
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for TaoJeannes   Email TaoJeannes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say I didn't love that movie. I think it explains the state of the world quite well in the movie... in a manner impossible to retype here because censoring the words would make it illegible.

But if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.

I'm just merely pointing out the irony of taking a song that's essentially criticizing what you're about and making it your anthem.

It's like founding the militant wing of the Salvation Army.

[ November 27, 2007, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: TaoJeannes ]

Posts: 279 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

The only thing that really annoyed me about the program was how he kept talking as baby Hillary.
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't have all the fancies on the boat. OSC I've heard of, hello, but who is Humpty Rusties? Some friend of Opera Whimpey?
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:
"If I express moderate ideas radically people pay a little bit more attention."

I think he expresses radical ideas moderately, myself.

I've never seen him express moderate ideas radically or radical ideas moderately in his columns. Whenever he talks politics, he expresses radical ideas boringly. And whenever he decides to harp on about safe, apolitical topics (whether homework is a useful part of the learning process, or the best approach to urban design, for example), he expresses moderate ideas boringly as well.

Still, I'm sure the "express moderate ideas radically" schtick goes down well with the target audience. After all, they like to think of themselves as the last bastion of common sense and practicality in America, and the only reason everyone disagrees with them so noisily is because they don't play that queer-assed "Politically Correct" game that was just invented to keep real opinions by real people out of the public arena.

Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, when not talking politics, OSC is a very fun speaker.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Au Contraire...when OSC speaks politics, it provides excellent amusement to watch all of his leftist fans of his books go bat**** insane.

[LOL]

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He speaks politics?

So far, all I've seen is Culture War, not politics.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go further and say "hate, not politics."
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page