Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Avatars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Avatars
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If virtual reality was a reality. (How's that for a weird sentence? "If fake was real." [Smile] Anyway; If virtual reality were a reality; what would your Avatar be?

If you could be anything. And let's not assume we have to match it to our current names on Ornery. (For example I wouldn't 'have' to be a knight.)

I thought of this while reading L. Ron's "Writer's of the Future" short story by Robert J. Defendi. In it his characters (the whole world) lives in virtual reality. And they have avatars like humans, or blue humans, or clouds, or pretty much anything you can think of. (I imagine at first everybody would pick attractive people, but eventually that would get boring and too unrealistic, practically advertising you are unattrave in reality, if that mattered, and avatars would get weird.)

So, what would you be?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be a cat. I'm independant, snarky and charming -- I think those are perfect cat-like charateristics.
Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably an elephant, for so many reasons. [Wink]
Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would be a space ship and finally get the hell out of this place
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would so be a knight, KE. Don't even try to deny it.

I would choose a dragon for myself. Flight and fire breath. Awesome.

I am reminded of Earth by David Brin. The characters had quasi-independent avatars that were more like familiars. They were fairly complex and would search the web for whatever their master desired. Its been awhile since I read it but I seem to remember them being the firewall, too in that they would defend their owner's information from other avatars. I seem to remember a battle between two of them over information the other posessed.

Of course, the past is simply a fiction created to account for the discrepency between immediate physical sensations and my state of mind so I'm probably remembering wrong. I've got to reread that book.

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Ringo came out with a series a few years ago set in the middling-far future.
The combination of limitless power and nano-tech medicine meant that you could sculpt your body into anything you wanted: Hercules, a unicorn, mermaid...anything.

And then the power shut off, and everybody was stuck where they were.

[ March 18, 2008, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Brian ]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My problem is deciding.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page