Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Favorite quotes from...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite quotes from...
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I was thinking from the Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy but feel free to quote whatever you want.

"Some of them (musicians) were playing in four/four time, some in three/four and some in a kind of pie-eyed (pi)r^2"

How does one do the symbol for pi here?

"How do you know that the past isn't a fiction created to account for the discrepancy between your immediate physical sensations and your state of mind?"

That says it all doesn't it?

Hmm... Taken in isolation they just aren't quite as funny. Ah well. Go to it and have some fun.

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some have mediocrity thrust upon them." - Catch 22
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every revolutionary idea — in science, politics, art, or whatever — seems to evoke three stages of reaction. They may be summed up by the phrases:

(1) "It's completely impossible — don't waste my time";

(2) "It's possible, but it's not worth doing";

(3) "I said it was a good idea all along."

Arthur C Clarke

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Keep your distance, but don't look like you're keeping your distance"
some wookie speak
"I don't know, fly casual!"
Star Wars episode 6

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by caladbolg1125:

How does one do the symbol for pi here?

If you're on a windows machine try "alt-227" which inserts this:

π

This also seems to work:

π

π

http://www.fileformat.info/tip/microsoft/enter_unicode.htm

[ March 19, 2008, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: scifibum ]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
π

Cool. Thanks.

So that's a "pie-eyed πr^2, depending on how much sleep they had managed to get recently."

[ March 19, 2008, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: caladbolg1125 ]

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"ELVIS was an artist!

But when his country called, he went and served. Which is why HE is The King, and YOU are a schmuck!"

[ March 19, 2008, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: flydye45 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
flyde was that in "Mostly Harmless"?
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

Dogma.

I thought he expanded the thread into any memorable quote.

Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If something is worth doing . . .

alt+0178 (use your keypad) allows us to further clean up the phrase to:

"pie-eyed πr²"

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

flyde
Yeah he did. I remember that now. There is a scene in mostly harmless when Arthur and Ford run across Elvis on another planet. Ford recognizes him and starts crying over "Love me Tender" Arthur doesn't and can't understand what the big deal is.

flydye45
unregistered

I recently met a pair of flight attendents who were two when Elvis died, but wanted to go to Granceland.

I, like Arthur, don't see the attraction. Like his music, but a pilgramage? [Confused]

Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elvis
Was a Hero to some
But he never meant ***t to me

Chuck D

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page