Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life
0rnery
Member # 398

- posted      Profile for 0rnery   Email 0rnery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American Cancer Society: The World's Wealthiest "Nonprofit" Institution

Cancer Prevention Coalition Calls for An Economic Boycott of the American Cancer Society 1999

American Cancer Society: Overall Rating 2 of 4 Stars

John Seffrin Chief Executive Officer (The person identified as holding the highest position of management, and therefore who would normally be responsible for carrying out the mission of the charity and leading the organization on a day-to-day basis.) $534,619

Would you give these folks a dime of your money?

My 17 year old son wants to participate in the "Relay For Life", and it pains me to see him bother. My wife insists I not tell him all these facts.

Posts: 356 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago a local town established a memorial 5k run in memory of a man who died of cancer. The proceeds went to the local hospitals for their cancer treatment programs.
The next year, the organizers split the proceeds, and gave half to the ACS. The ACS was understandably happy to receive these funds, and offered to co-sponsor the next event.

Year three: the "American Cancer Society / Dave Smith Memorial Run" was a huge success, and the organizers set about divying up the proceeds as usual. They then found out that the ACS had copyrighted the name of the event, and claimed that they would receive ALL of the proceeds. When the local organizers objected, the ACS took them to court. And won.

Now there is no Dave Smith run, because the locals are not allowed to use the name if they don't give everything to the ACS.

It was a win for the ACS, but a net loss for cancer patients.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, that's too bad. Thanks for posting that, though; I hadn't donated money to them yet but I was thinking about it; guess I'll find a better way to support cancer research.

Although I'd distinguish between general organizational dishonesty and a loss of mission focuson the part of a nonprofit, and just having a high salary for the CEO. If you have a CEO of a nonprofit who could earn $500K working for a corporation of a similar size - plus all the dividends he might receive - is it entirely unreasonable that he be paid in a way that is commensurate with his skill set and experience?

Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
500k, these days, isn't much for the CEO of a corporation of comparable size.

At the same time, it's not like 200k would leave him living the life of a pauper.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That salary in San Fran wouldn't go nearly as far. However, 1/2 Mil in Atlanta, GA - not a bad deal at all...
Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0rnery
Member # 398

- posted      Profile for 0rnery   Email 0rnery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevermind the ludicrous CEO compensation (for a "non-profit"), the money spent on all administration (generous salaries, pensions, executive benefits, and overhead) is way beyond what it should be. Hence the low Charity Navigator ranking. What kind of management skills does it take to pull off that kind of abysmal performance anyway?

Other concerns were who was making the large donations to them, and whether they're beholden to them. The American Cancer Society has the vice president of a major herbicide manufacturer sitting on its board of directors. Turns my stomach to say the least.

Posts: 356 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page