Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Throwing Gasoline on a Racial Fire

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Throwing Gasoline on a Racial Fire
Star Pilot 111
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Star Pilot 111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend Wright : what is he doing ? and why is he doing it?

It seems to me Reverend Wright is just trying to create, more tension between the Blacks and Whites. He said the black Church is being attacked.

This is a historic time in the history. A woman or a black man could be elected president.
Unless some, unforeseen extremely bizarre, thing happens one of them will be a candidate.

This man reverend Wright is throwing gasoline on the racial tension that already exists, hoping for an explosive reaction. It’s like he’s saying I dare you white guys to challenge what I’m saying, and if you do, it’s because you are racist, and you hate the history of the black churches. [Mad]

As a preacher, he is an impostor.
Any Christian leader is supposed to teach the teachings of Christ.
It’s implied in the name Christian. Christ taught to love your enemies and forgive.
He taught us to be humble, not weak or afraid, but teachable, accepting of others and unpretentious.

This man, Wright is a false teacher. I just herd a black pastor who was a guest on “Hardball” say that pastor Wright is “…not speaking for the black churches.” I know he’s not speaking for Obama, but he (Wright) implied that Obama was still his supporter, and really distance himself from him, with a wink, [Wink] like a sly politician would do. Meaning, Barak really didn’t mean it, he just said it to calm the uproar. The problem is Barak Obama still has not completely cut ties with him. He stills seems reluctant to do so, even after this speech at the Press Club.

Wright is very dangerous if people (black and white) get caught up in his lunacy.
The man is a trouble maker, and a nut job. He has a huge ego and doesn’t care about who is hurt by his words.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"This is a historic time in the history. A woman or a black man could be elected president."

Wright said:

"Wright said he's told Obama that if he is elected in November and is inaugurated in January, "I'm coming after you." He said that's because his differences are not with the American people, but U.S. policies."

While I'm not saying that Wright is deliberately taking a bullet for Obama, he is certainly saying things that make it easy for Obama to say, 'See? That man is NOT me, nor are all his ideas.'

As for the black church thing: it's true. {art of racial healing will be looking under the rocks at all the nasty things we once did and, more recently, have covered over, have covered up with PC rocks (when we're not stoning one another in 'who has the most sin stone fests).

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From another forum:

quote:
I am a huge Jeremiah Wright fan. Jeremiah Wright is a bad-ass with a rhetorical force few can match. He is right about a helluva lot of things, and if he thought at one point that AIDS was a government conspiracy, he’s no further off base than anyone like me who believed Iraq had WMD. (I was still antiwar, for multiple reasons.)
I love it. Aids conspiracy/WMD in Iraq. Apparently, Wright trusted in bad intelligence. Sounds familiar.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Pilot

You're not being a model of humility yourself there.

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw an interview of Rev. Wright, and he came across as articulate and fairly down to earth guy. He has some nutty views (particularly the AIDS conspiracy thing), but I'm not sure that makes him into a monster, or means that Obama should have left his church. It just makes him wrong on some things. So what?

I listened to those soundbites, and nothing he said was particularly offensive. Yeah, he damned America, but that's what preachers do, they damn things. Whooptie Doo. He has said some controversial things, but so what? As he aptly noted, preachers are not politicians; they don't have to tell people what they want to hear all the time. A sermon is not a political speech. Even the September 11th comment wasn't that off base; it's a view that many reasonable people hold. He certainly isn't the first preacher to tell people that God punished them for their sins, or that just maybe the bad things in their life aren't completely outside of their own responsibility.

I think the problem is not with Reverend Wright, but with the media. The media, over the years, has become so dull, so pablumated, that it can't process or fairly present any opinion, view, or personality that isn't cast in the same hyper-PC mush-headed mold. I loved how Wright mocked the media over their coverage of the whole controversy, even down to the language they used. "Bombastic"? Who the hell talks like that? It's such a farce. This isn't something that anyone but a TV reporter would think or say.

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Yeah, he damned America, but that's what preachers do, they damn things."

That's funny!

"Whooptie Doo.""

Now THAT'S what I call a damnation. [Wink]

canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting stuff, Jason. I wonder if you can just give us a sense of how things are evolving at ground level after this stunning revelation? Where do they take it next and how do they control the fallout after such a bombastic display that many are calling the most shocking expression of hatred towards America they have ever seen? Is it treason as some are suggesting?

Sobering stuff.

After the break we'll be talking to moms and teens about Miley Cyrus' shocking new photos. How far is too far?

We'll be back after this.

[ April 29, 2008, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: canadian ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huckabee called for folks with HIV to be quarantined, Wright called AIDS a government conspiracy.

One of 'em ran for President.

Huckabee has been the defination of "mensch", I'm not picking on him so much as pointing it out.

I wonder if we'll hear the same spin about McCains second marriage to a multi-millionare heiress that we heard about Kerrys second marriage to a multi-millionare heiress?

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Interesting stuff, Jason. I wonder if you can just give us a sense of how things are evolving at ground level after this stunning revelation? Where do they take it next and how do they control the fallout after such a bombastic display that many are calling the most shocking expression of hatred towards America they have ever seen? Is it treason as some are suggesting?

Sobering stuff.

After the break we'll be talking to moms and teens about Miley Cyrus' shocking new photos. How far is too far?

We'll be back after this."

You still watch tv, don't you?

I've forgotten how.

RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole thing is BRILLIANT.

A) it saturates the airwaves with Wright maybe saying things some people don't like, but being far more reasonable - and *charming* - than the snippets people heard in the big scandal about him.

B) It takes all the attention off Hillary's very good recent national polls. Y'all know I think polls are dead, but I haven't checked the corresponding money markets, and off course as long as polls exist, they will inform the behavior of many money market investors. Still, stealing the opponent's good press is a net benefit - especially when it ain't even you doing it.

C) Like Ken said, it gives Obama free distance from the guy with all the "I'm coming after you" jive. [Smile]

Jesse - So true. Mensch all the way. So sad he's benighted.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page