Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Hey Everard. (Human nature)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey Everard. (Human nature)
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm coping with a long workday by checking Ornery compulsively. Since you have all evidently taken a break for dinner, commutes, or bed, I looked through old discussions for a moment and found a very old post from Everard mentioning Elissa Ely's columns.

Then google and I found this

Thanks, Everard. [Smile]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's a wonderful writer. I stopped getting the boston globe delivered, and either her columns do not appear in the online version, or she's stopped submitting to the globe, or they've stopped publishing her essays, because I haven't seen one in the globe in sometime. Not that I check every day, mind you.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/13/science/13case.html

Elissa Ely is still writing, and now sometimes publishing in the New York Times.

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Mankind is still in good shape as long as there are children. Their human nature will redeem ours."

Yeah, right. Children are just as bad as us, just on a smaller scale. Apparently this lady was home schooled throughout her childhood and missed the playground.

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I thought that essay was insipid. What about Lord of the Flies? I would think that kids, like everybody else, have both kind and cruel instincts. Of course, it wouldn't make for an interesting article to say that.
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, let us saps enjoy a nice dose of saccharine, will ya?
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why? If we do that, you're just going to be walking around, get attacked by a gang of kids, beaten, your kids kidnapped to be made part of the gang, and your wife murdered. You need to be realistic, homeboy.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

btw, I hate kids... and happiness.
scifibum
Member # 945

And rubbers, don't forget.
TommySama
Member # 2780

That's John, he's the one who got a girl pregnant [Wink]

(To clarify, I hate kids enough to love rubbers.)

[ June 19, 2008, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: TommySama ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page