Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Limerick challenge (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Limerick challenge
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rules are simple:

Write a limerick about the subject suggested by the previous poster.

Suggest a subject for the next limerick.

Extra points awarded* for correct meter, humor, and vocabulary. If you need it, see What is a limerick

*points will not be awarded.

A man once retired to a room
And urgently emitted a fume
He then turned his head
And colored bright red
Vacancy had been inapt to presume.

Pickles.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Caper an olive a gherkin
Maybe fish if you purchase a key-tin
If you had to surmise
Which might water your eyes
Would you guess it's the one with the wart-in?

FM Radio.

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have free music to spare;
it comes on waves through the air.
My preferred variation
is frequency modulation,
but for talk and the news, I don't care.

Shoelaces.

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Individual Persona
Member # 6105

- posted      Profile for Individual Persona   Email Individual Persona   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Attempting to speak of the weather,
My mood was as light as a feather.
I am going to run
When he knows what I've done
His shoelaces are tied together.

Pillow fights.

Posts: 340 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Displaying our knack for the "right"
we bore down in political fight.
We shredded each other;
we lost every feather,
And had nothing to sleep on that night.

Trickle Down Economics

[ September 10, 2008, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't gimme no damn Hooked on Phonics
Or clever but trite electronics
To give my kids learnin
I'll only be yearnin
To trickle them down some Reaganomics

Spaceflight.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hopped in my spaceship to see
If Pluto had two moons or three
But how could I take off when
The needle said hydrogen
Was down to one million lb?

Verb conjugation.

[ September 10, 2008, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Jordan ]

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a contest of lyrical farce,
A limerick did they ask me to parse
But verb conjugation
Caused me no celebration
So I pulled what I could out my arse.

Penguins.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the world is all black and white
and they judge what they see in the light,
the people will think
that maybe you stink,
unless you're the bird with no flight.

Angel Investors

[ September 10, 2008, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There once was an angel investor,
who thought poorness was her repressor.
So, she hawked her gold harp
and dressed really sharp,
until the vice squad did quickly arrest her.

Perpetual Motion.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To preserve the motion its lent,
A perfect system where nothing is spent;
There's but one tiny quirk,
They simply don't work
(except for the one in my basement).

Millard Filmore

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NSCutler
Member # 1403

- posted      Profile for NSCutler   Email NSCutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because Zachary’s health was neglected
He assumed without being elected
His Whigs fell apart
His Know-nothings weren’t smart
He was twice by the voters rejected

supercolliders

Posts: 789 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

Europe once built a super collider
and particles became its main rider
but they forsook the toll
of a micro black hole
and the earth got swallowed inside her.

Obama.

NSCutler
Member # 1403

- posted      Profile for NSCutler   Email NSCutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though his numbers are down, he won’t fret
He’ll fall back on what is a sure bet:
Show McCain has been naughty
With some Star Trek Hottie
That old strategy hasn’t failed yet!

Fannie May and Freddie Mac

Posts: 789 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

"Let market justice cut second raters"
so that your now becomes mine in the laters
"Cash for Title" we cuss...
except when it's us
(just hope nobody Qui Tam Relators).

Potty Training

[ September 11, 2008, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sit a while like a fool
While the kid kicks the stool
He takes his seat
But is never neat
So I clean the resulting pool

Modern Architecture

Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Individual Persona
Member # 6105

- posted      Profile for Individual Persona   Email Individual Persona   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Greeks had their columns of marble
The Romans had arches to marvel
But when "modern" 's the word
To be dull is absurd
We need steel and windows that sparkle.

Wigs

Posts: 340 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Card says that Nicolas Cage
Should admit his that his hairline has aged
He should take off the wig
Not whine like a prig
And admit that his head turned the page.

ducks

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

The ducks in the park are benign
When folks heed the "no feeding" sign
But if food is dropt
The ducks can't be stopt
And the frenzied assault is malign

The Swedish chef.

NSCutler
Member # 1403

This gourmand with a technique quite daring
Makes a maelstrom of chicken and herring
His knife work is quick
And his accent’s so thick
That no one can tell if he's swearing

A bidet

canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only just learning its function
When a cool spray cleaned out my junction
Not bothering to wipe
I ran in a fright
And returned sopping wet to the luncheon

Anderson Cooper

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Journalist for the new century
His reportage bursting with empathy
his shock of silver mane
hides quite a paucity of brain
As he drowns us in bawling inanity

The NYT

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

There once was a man with the Times,
Who read it for various crimes
But when his bidet
Would no longer spray
It got used for personal slimes.

The Terminator.

scifibum
Member # 945

When Ahnold was learning to act
He seemed but a muscular hack
But who else could say
With such leaden cachet
That (barring election) he'd "be back"?

Fingernails.

Finvarra
Member # 2786

- posted      Profile for Finvarra   Email Finvarra       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They looked at the present aghast
And decided they must change the past.
So they sent Schwarzenegger
The feared terminator
To end Sarah's life in a blast.

Marlboro lights

Posts: 179 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Finvarra
Member # 2786

- posted      Profile for Finvarra   Email Finvarra       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
damnit I was too late
Posts: 179 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

I liked it, though.
NSCutler
Member # 1403

I'm a gene jocky. Splicing is what I do:

She believed her alibi was tight
And proved she hadn’t killed him that night
But his fingernail’s scratch
Made a sequencing match
With the butt of her Marlboro Light

Nikola Tesla

D Pace
Member # 1493

- posted      Profile for D Pace   Email D Pace       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nails grow after I'm dead
A thought which I eerily dread
So I mark them with lines
To help count the time
That I've been croaked in my bed.

Summer Glau

[too late - back to Tesla]

[ September 16, 2008, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: D Pace ]

Posts: 376 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Finvarra
Member # 2786

A serbian man of science
Had a surprising sexual alliance
His fetish was quixotic
Though strangely erotic
But was the pigeon in compliance?

(I had to wiki Tesla and there was a bit on how he loved a white pigeon as a woman)

Vegas

hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tesla himself said, "Sometimes I feel that by not marrying I made too great a sacrifice for my work so I have decided to lavish all the affection of a man no longer young on the feathery tribe. I am satisfied if anything I do will live for posterity. But to care for these homeless, hungry or sick birds is the delight of my life. It is my only means of playing."

The reference to marriage suggests Tesla was heterosexual, a homosexual admirer and his fondness for musclemen suggest he was homosexual, and most biographers have concluded he never had sex with anyone. But he adopted a pigeon with a broken wing and leg, spent 18 months and $2000 caring for her daily, and finally released her fully recovered to a farm where she could live out her life happily. Perhaps he saw that as a substitute for marriage, or perhaps as the one good deed on which his salvation would depend. Anyway he was a strange man, and both cryptic and profound, so it is doubtful anyone understood him.

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Pace
Member # 1493

- posted      Profile for D Pace   Email D Pace       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say it wasn't a vice
Betting all that I own on the dice
just comp me some liquor
and send me a stripper-
Hell will feel quite nice

Summer Glau

Posts: 376 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A nice little hottie
with pictures all naughty
alas, I must cry
I missed firefly
so couldn't tell her from a pottie.

Political nausea

[ September 17, 2008, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: RickyB ]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

The debate is advancing pathetically
Such as porcine enhancement cosmetically
if this crap goes on
I hope the Higgs Boson
Will eclipse all the issues theoretically

Plastic surgery. [Big Grin]

NSCutler
Member # 1403

If glamorousness is your dream
And you have more cash than self esteem
With some nips and some tucks
For a few thousands bucks
We'll transform you to something extreme!

Divorce

Finvarra
Member # 2786

There once was a day long ago
When breasts were not all just for show
Now I must cop a feel
To know if they're real
I still like to look at them, though.

Timothy Leary

[ September 17, 2008, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Finvarra ]

Finvarra
Member # 2786

damnit, late again, back to divorce
Finvarra
Member # 2786

She told me she'd like a divorce
I suggested another recourse
To screw monogamy
Screw a couple, two, or three
Though its true that I'm hung like a horse.

Timothy Leary

EDanaII
Member # 1062

Timothy Leary's dead.
No, no, no, no, he's outside looking in.
Timothy Leary's dead.
No, no, no, no, he's outside looking in.
Hell fly his astral plane,
Takes you trips around the bay,
Brings you back the same day,
Timothy Leary. Timothy Leary.

Oops! That's not a limerick... or even mine. [Smile]

munga
Member # 6006

Timothy thought to transcend
and he wondered if tenure could "bend"
when his students were groomed
to sit down be'schroomed
which spelled Leary's credential'd end.

McCain fixing the Economy

[ September 18, 2008, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: munga ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page