Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Obama hid $800,000 payment to ACORN through “Citizen Services, Inc.” (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Obama hid $800,000 payment to ACORN through “Citizen Services, Inc.”
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McCain found a way to score cheap counter-factual points? And because he's McCain he used it?

I can't believe there are people out there who think "character" is important who are going to vote for McCain.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read an interesting item that pertains to ACORN.

According to the law (from what I read), ALL voter registrations MUST be turned into the Registrar of Voters, regardless of whether they are legitimate or not.

The reason is obvious. This prevents organizations from editing out any registrations they don't like--like those who registered Democrat or Republican, for instance.

What it also means is that, if someone gets a bogus resistration, they have to hand it in. So if ACORN gets 23 bad registrations, they could be thrown in jail if they didn't give them to the Registrar. Which is why they put aside a pile of them as "suspicious."

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grrrrr I've pointed that out about half a dozen times [Razz]

The Statute of Limitations rocks -

I kicked the crap out of two Young Republicans a decade and a half ago. They'd been "registering voters" on campus...but I found about 3/4ths of the Registrations in a trash can.

Young and foolish. I should have taken all of the Registrations and reported them to the County Registrar and Secretary of State. They had an ASB approved registration table, so at least one of them would have been on the hook.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I can't believe there are people out there who think "character" is important who are going to vote for McCain. "

I was buying that myth of personality myself until '05/'06. Precisely because McCain came from an ideological spectrum that mostly does little for me, I hardly vetted him but bought the maverick myth.

I suppose a similar aspect informs so many people's willingness to consume disinformation about Obama.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Grrrrr I've pointed that out about half a dozen times [Razz]
Sorry, Jesse. I've only been skimming this thread (from some reason I couldn't explain [Roll Eyes] ). I must've missed it. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Grrrrr I've pointed that out about half a dozen times"

Yeah but Wayward's mention was more deeply detailed and nuanced.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ruo
Member # 5305

- posted      Profile for ruo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:
75 years ago, half the Republican party decided to become the loyal opposition to FDR - to try to act to limit to his spending and oppose his "alphabet soup" of agencies, and to try to persuade voters by way of reason that his policies were wrong.

The other half claimed he had syphillis, that he was a Communist Agent, that he was just buying votes, that "letting" the CCC boys and the WPA men and transitory Okies vote was "throwing" the elections to him, and some went so far as to try to organize a Puscht to take over our government with the threat of force.

Which side are you on, boys?

[LOL]
Posts: 340 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which side?
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ruo
Member # 5305

- posted      Profile for ruo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by munga:
When McCain goes out and does an hour or two of basketball per week verifiable by the public, we can get down to apples-apples questions on the comparative vetting of their health prognoses.

quote:

McCain's Health and Age Present Campaign Challenge
By: Roger Simon
January 27, 2007 05:55 PM EST

"I am older than dirt and have more scars than Frankenstein," John McCain likes to say.

It always gets a laugh, though I don't suppose his mother, who is 94, and her twin sister, appreciate it very much. If he is older than dirt, what does that make them? Older than lava?

If McCain, 70, runs and wins, he would be the oldest person ever inaugurated as president. As is evident from the scar on the left side of his face, he has had malignant melanoma, the most invasive and dangerous form of skin cancer. (One in every 60 Americans is at risk for developing invasive melanoma in their lifetimes.)

I talked to McCain recently and asked him about his health. He said it was good. "I hiked the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim last August with my son, Jack," he said.

I tried to imagine that. The last time I saw it, the Grand Canyon was seriously deep.

How on earth do you hike a thing like that rim-to-rim? I asked.

"Down and up!" he said. "It takes three days."

John Kennedy, who at 43 became the youngest person ever elected president, and who was always associated with "vig-ah," in fact had serious diseases that were kept from the public.

As was revealed in 2002, Kennedy was sick from age 13 through the rest of his life, was on chronic-pain medication throughout his presidency and had Addison's disease, an endocrine disorder that until 1940 was a terminal illness. Kennedy survived it through cortisone injections, which at the time only rich people could afford.

Dr. Jeffrey Kelman, who examined Kennedy's medical records in 2002, said, "He was never healthy. I mean, the image you get of vigor and progressive health wasn't true."

The point being: Electing a young person to the presidency is no guarantee that he or she will be healthy or stay healthy.

The media often demands the release of medical records these days, and the candidates sometimes comply. There were so many false rumors circulating about McCain's health when he ran for president in 2000, that he released 1,500 pages of medical and psychiatric records. They showed him to be in good health and not nuts. (And how many presidential candidates can say that?)

"We'll probably have to do that again," McCain told me of the record release.

Do you think all candidates should release their medical and psychiatric records? I asked.

I thought he would jump on that and say yes, just to put pressure on the other presidential campaigns, but he did not.

"I don't know," he said. "I think probably in my case it was a little more unique because of my POW status and the war injuries and the fact that people were spreading rumors that I was crazy and disabled both. So we'll probably have to do that again."

You think the rumors will start again? I asked.

"They already have!" he said.

But I don't think that is going to be McCain's problem. It isn't his health but rather his demeanor that worries some people.

The Iraq war, which he strongly supports, has disturbed and dismayed him. He told The Washington Post it was a "train wreck." He told me it was a "witch's brew." He visits wounded soldiers and Marines when they come back home for treatment and if any civilian feels the pain of the military, it is McCain.

And it is showing.

Last April, I wrote of a campaign swing McCain made through New Hampshire and Iowa, "Though McCain said he enjoyed himself, he was not the rollicking campaigner of six years ago. At a number of stops, he was largely subdued and sometimes almost somber."

Last Sunday, on "Meet the Press with Tim Russert," McCain seemed to have moved from almost somber to almost gloomy.

In my recent interview, I suggested to him that the laughing, joking John McCain of his last presidential campaign seemed to be AWOL.

"It's hard to make jokes; we are a nation at war," he said. "There are great national security challenges that we face. But I also believe, as Ronald Reagan did, that America's greatest days are ahead of us. It's going to be an upbeat campaign and an optimistic one."

And will you still come to the back of the bus and goof off with the press like before? I asked.

"If I changed that," McCain said with a smile of old, "I would probably get death threats."

© 2008 Capitol News Company, LLC

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=56089F3D-3048-5C12-007738A0AE63B2D9
Posts: 340 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hearsay from 3 years ago? That's your answer?
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ruo
Member # 5305

quote:
Originally posted by RickyB:
Which side?

The side opposite the side of the enemy or of defeat.

[Cool]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Well, RickyB's point remains, and the Kennedy analogy confirms it: without detailed medical records, we haven't a clue.

FDR died shortly into his fourth term and that was not a good thing for the situation at hand.

ruo
Member # 5305

quote:
Originally posted by RickyB:
Hearsay from 3 years ago? That's your answer?

[Roll Eyes]
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

It also rolled its eyes, RickyB.

That's, um, nuance.

ruo
Member # 5305

quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:
Well, RickyB's point remains, and the Kennedy analogy confirms it: without detailed medical records, we haven't a clue.

FDR died shortly into his fourth term and that was not a good thing for the situation at hand.

I'd be willing to go along with a proposal to delay the election long enough for a simultaneous investigation of both candidates.

McCain's medicals and Obama's mysteries.

What say you?

[Big Grin]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Apples and oranges and pears, oh my!
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stray has so many more redeeming virtues. I miss Stray.
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

McCain's medical record being unavailable is fact. Obama's "mysteries" exist only in your head and the answers to them have been exhaustively answered by us and leading publications. My McCain questions have yet to be answered anywhere, and very sparingly raised.

My thread about them awaits your insight, by the by.

[ October 14, 2008, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: RickyB ]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Crossing over two early cyber-sci-fi pioneers, I think ruo's an AI combining the AI Neuromancer from Gibson's eponymous book, and Peter from Ender's Game.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Article on Voter Reg Drives

quote:
There’s simply no way to gather over one million new voter registration forms without some of the forms having been filled out with bogus information. You could ask the group to automatically toss out the obviously wrong ones — some guy saying he’s Tony Romo, someone else saying he’s Mickey Mouse — but the law requires them to hand all the forms in to prevent them from tossing out forms filled out by people who say they want to register Republican. Consequently, if you go out and register over a million voters you’ll wind up with a lot of bad forms being submitted. But just as 30,000 is a lot of people and also only a very small fraction of one million people, when you’re talking about registering over a million new voters you’d need orders of magnitude more bad forms to constitute real evidence of a systematic fraud campaign.
I agree with the author, but love this critique of his hyperbole:

quote:
But just as 30,000 is a lot of people and also only a very small fraction of one million people, when you’re talking about registering over a million new voters you’d need orders of magnitude more bad forms to constitute real evidence of a systematic fraud campaign.

Well, one order of magnitude anyway. Multiple orders of magnitude would just be bizarre. “Jeez, we tried to submit paperwork to register a million new voters and got 3 million reejctions for fake forms–what’s up with that?”

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Meanwhile over at link

quote:
This is politics, plain and simple. The GOP cannot come up with a single documented example of someone voting twice or voting fraudulently, but they continually raise the specter of voter fraud in order to cover up their longstanding voter suppression efforts. And those efforts, unlike the allegations of voter fraud, have been documented and proven in court many times. Multiple courts have found the RNC and various Republican state committees guilty of illegal voter suppression and issued injunctions against their voter caging programs. And that is the sole purpose of these voter fraud allegations, to distract attention away from all of that.
I wouldn't say "sole" purpose, for good old mudslinging is always politically correct.

[ October 15, 2008, 03:21 AM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya'll realize this was the best October Suprise they could come up with, right?

Epic Fail.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

quote:
The side opposite the side of the enemy or of defeat.
Glad to hear you've become a Democrat, ruo. [Big Grin]
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Glad to hear you've become a Democrat, ruo."

How very troll... [Wink] [Smile]

beefprime
Member # 3187

- posted      Profile for beefprime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since no one has said it yet, Obama's father died in a car crash. I'm pretty sure thats not a genetically transferrable trait.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

"The side opposite the side of the enemy or of defeat."

That's not an answer. Given what you know (or don't) about Obama, were he to win, which of these two approaches would you emulate. Ain't no wait and see. It's upon you. Choose.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Obama's father died in a car crash. I'm pretty sure thats not a genetically transferrable trait."

Jean-Baptiste Lamarck hates you.

TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obama's fajiah, whom he called Baba in his native tongue of Arabic, or Obama's priest, bringer of false wisdom and hope?
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Just some guy who liked to wring giraffe's necks in earlier versions of bioevolutionary theory.
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baddas! We're the OC'inest Ma Fockers on this forum.

Whut?!

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Last time I let you near a Cadillac, I swear.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page