Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Daylight savings...why are we changing twice a year again?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Daylight savings...why are we changing twice a year again?
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My contention is that if summer time daylight savings is a good thing - because we use less electricity, having more daylight during the hours we're active anyway - then it would be a good policy in the winter, where daylight is limited at both ends and we're using the lights anyway.

In other words, why not an extra hour of sunlight in the evening instead of the morning during the winter?

Maybe we're headed there but the gov't doesn't think we'll swallow it unless it comes gradually.

On another note, doesn't air conditioning pretty much ruin the savings during the summertime hours anyhow? I think lighting must be a fraction of the overall energy use and that after sundown must be well below peak demand. Didn't I read somewhere (here) that most electricity generation plants stay hot even when demand is low because it's too hard to shut them down on a daily basis?

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would so much prefer to have my extra hour in the evening than in the morning, when I'm all stumbly and incoherent anyway. And it's depressing emerging from the office into darkness, while staggering into the office before dawn feels enterprising.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why are you changing twice a year? 'Cause if you only did it once a year, before long sunrise would be scheduled for 3:00pm
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would rather have an extra hour at night. It's nice to be able to work outside after getting home from work.
Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sun goes down at 4:30 or 5:30, make no biggie to me.
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd rather have the extra time at night as well. As it is in winter back home, I go to and from work in the dark, both. It sucks.

When is daylight savings time, anyway? Iraq didn't do daylight savings this year and I can't wait to go back to 8 hours ahead rather than 7.

Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

this Sunday
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The idea that we need the sun in the morning is an antiquated holdover from agrarian days. Most of us would now like some sun when we get home from work, around 5:30, so we can do chores or even feel a bit like a human being. Since I have to wake up at 5:30AM to get to work, anyway, and am in the office by 7:30, the extra hour of sun in the morning is meaningless to me. Give me my evenings back, Congress!
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also that charming *slam* of evening's shutter coming down an hour earlier like the door in a jail cell.

Here at 49 degrees north, the iron really clangs.

But I don't care this year. Kings can rule, but there will be only so much darkness, and so much sunlight, and so much time.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All opposed? <gavel clang> OK, let's do it.

Might want to give the software world a few years notice though.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here Comes the Sun

Uh, scifi? Could you switch to a clacky not clangy gavel? Makes me jump. Cell doors have an unforgettable sound when they clang.

[ October 30, 2008, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

Oops I must have unconsciously aped your use of "clang."

I'm a semi-conscious primate, and proud of getting there.

EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crap, to hell with DST. Here in the Zone, the last thing we want is an extra hour of sunshine. Of course, I'm one of those radicals that says lose this sun-at-noon based system we all have. I'm all for the whole world going to Zulu time. (UTC not the time used in Africa [Smile] ).

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because it's dumb. And it wastes electric. (see this for an example)

I hate it in summer. Absolutely hate it. Get home from work, decide to do chores until dark and eat once it's dark (which means supper at 11p). Nowhere near enough sleep that way. Of course, part of the problem is that we're on eastern time for some reason....

(and DST is one reason Mitch won't be getting a vote from me this fall...)

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A big reason why we change it in the winter is because there are a lot of children on the streets between 6:30 and 7:30 waiting for their buses, and we would rather they didn't stand around in the dark.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think DST as it is currently set up is just dumb. All that wasted time and effort to switch clocks back and forth... I think it'd work better if people just changed working hours instead of the clock. Say typical workday is 9-5 for the government in the winter. Just have government summer hours covering whatever span of time (from spring equinox to fall equinox maybe) be 8-4 instead. Keep kids schools on a consistent 8AM to 2PM schedule and avoid all the trouble with students sleeping schedules. Let other folks pick the schedules that work best for themselves. Of course, that just makes too much sense and means the government has less regulation over our lives, so the politicians won't suggest anything like that.
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 6058

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been working all week with the pharmacists and nurses at a 900 bed hospital on this stupid time change. Most large hospitals have electronic medication administration records. It shows the nurse when the last dose was given and when the next is due. This time change really wreaks havoc on interval doses (give warfarin every four hours).

[ October 30, 2008, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Peter ]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The idea that we need the sun in the morning is an antiquated holdover from agrarian days
Whoever the extra hour of sun in the morning was for, it wasn't for farmers.
When you are farming, you don't care if the sun rises at five, seven, or nine - that's when you get up, because that is when the animals get up.
It does not matter what you call it.

Standardized time (and messing about with it) is for the benefit of urban folks.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta go with Op on this one. Agrarian societies got along without clocks for a zillion years. It wasn't until we established the business day and appointments and hourly wage - all of which are urban - that we needed a method of counting time more accurate than early morning, late morning, noon,...

And the time switch is in the summer. We are about to go back to standard time. Even though 'standard' is now only 5/12 of the year.

My biggest problem with daylight savings time is that it basically killed the drive-in movie, especially in the northern half of the country.

Posts: 359 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Move to Arizona or Indiana - neither follow DLST.
Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

Agreeing with Ops, here. I used to even think there was absolutely NO reason for the change.

But then I saw different studies on the effects of energy usage, and more importantly, accident rates due to rush hour starting before people were fully awake (people are affected by sunlight cycles it seems.)

I'm on the fence, but there is support for both sides of the argument.

Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Indiana finally stopped their county-by-county insanity and started using DLST?

There is nothing more fun than getting your truck loaded and picking up the invoice and finding out you're supposed to be 30 miles away in an hour, getting there in 40 minutes, and being 40 minutes late.

[ October 31, 2008, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Jesse ]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We switched about a year ago in Indiana...the county by county debate was trying to decide which timezone we should be in. Given longitude lines us (and most of michigan) should be in central time (which would be much nicer).

I'd like to go back to not switching. Not being dark until after 10p is miserable in many ways.

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wogtheowl
Member # 6133

- posted      Profile for wogtheowl   Email wogtheowl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason I hate the time change is my internal clock goes all wacky. It seems I just get used to the current one and then it changes again.
I say we drop it.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least there's no more calling the consignee to find out what time it is at their office.

Indiana should be Central Time, not least for all those folks in the northwest corner that cross into Illinois for work.

I actually do believe States have the Power to decide this one...but don't be jerks [Wink]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

Counties got to request which time zone they would be in, but US Dept. of Transportation got the final say.

If I go a county west I'd be in central time. And would probably be much happier (and a heck of lot better rested)...prime time sports at 730 is much nicer than 830.

TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent my early adulthood in northwestern Indiana. It always struck me as a little odd that I could drive either east or south and suddenly be in a different time zone. [Smile]
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like most of those who have voiced their opinion here, I would prefer more light in the evening, i.e. not switching off of daylight savings. But, at least for me, I am completely devoid of any real reasons that the changing of the clocks should affect my daylight hours. If I wanted to, I could just go to work an hour earlier when the time changes. Essentially, I could just let the rest of the world change their schedule, while leaving mine the same.

How many people here are in the same boat? Could you shift your schedule back an hour to compensate for the time change? If you can, why don't you? I haven't, and I suppose I don't have any better reason than I like the hour of bonus sleep and I just deplore the idea of waking up 'early' even if it is no earlier than before.

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page