Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » On Which Channel Did You Watch Obama's Infomercial?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On Which Channel Did You Watch Obama's Infomercial?
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched it on the SciFi Channel. [Wink] [Smile]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMAO

Was it really on the SciFi Channel?

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched it on YouTube.
Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KonerAtHome
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for KonerAtHome   Email KonerAtHome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why bother. I already voted. Actually I voted, "present" by voting for everything on my absentee ballot EXCEPT President. Hey "present" works for Obama, why not for me. [Smile]
Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's awesome, Koner. You should write him about that.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course some crooked election worker will probably count that as a vote for him anyway... [Wink] j/k
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KonerAtHome
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for KonerAtHome   Email KonerAtHome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LoverOfJoy:
Of course some crooked election worker will probably count that as a vote for him anyway... [Wink] j/k

My township clerk who I had to mail my ballot to is someone who I have known my entire life. In fact she changed more than one of my diapers. I seriously doubt I have to worry about her altering my ballot. If I voted in a large city where a number of people had access to it I would probably worry.
Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think for a moment that Obama has anything to say that will gain my vote?

Even if I stipulate everything he says, he cannot reform the government by himself and considering the...character of many of his fellows, I see no change.

It was a call to "trust me". I am a cynic.

But it wasn't aimed at me. It was sent to his base and an attempt to get the undecided. I read one analysis where, with this enormous media buy, with the absolute slamming of McPalin by the common culture, with the one sided media attention, if the undecided haven't gone to Obama already...are they now? Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but it's interesting that he hasn't been able to substantially push past the low 50's. But then again, neither did Reagan til the last week.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do you think for a moment that Obama has anything to say that will gain my vote?
I like to hope that anyone can be redeemed.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't manage to catch it all, but the snippets I heard sounded fantastic. Something about the government isn't going to turn off your kids' video games and sit down and read a book with them. If the whole thing was like that, then I'm sure it was quite convincing.

The only problem, as McCain brilliantly pointed out, is that with a lot of these infomercials it really sounds great, but the actual product when delivered is almost always a disappointment. Or something like that.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

A very Christian concept. "AAAAmaZING GRACE, HOW sweet THE sound...."
flydye45
unregistered

McCain can't speechify like that, nor does he project charisma like that. Not anymore.
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's sad. I admired McCain, and still do to some extent, but he's gotten bitter and snarky during the course of his campaign. You can almost smell his sweat through the tv. I hope once this is all over and he doesn't have to sell his soul to his base anymore, the real slim shady will emerge once again.

But I believe he'll always be haunted by the depths to which he sunk. You can see it when he's interviewed. He looks so relieved when he can speak honestly.

[ October 30, 2008, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: canadian ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, only Jesse caught the joke. I hoping that people would be talking about watching it on the Disney Channel (on a small screen in the corner, since they weren't about to interrupt the Mickey Mouse movie), or on the Golf Channel (with Tiger Woods hosting), or on Oxygen (with comments afterward by Hillary Clinton), or on Fox (with the sound off and Hannity commenting on it), or...

Oh, well. Carry on. [Smile]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yet they shall live forever, through YouTube.

Worth the $4 million bucks for the followup critiques and buzz and counter-critiques and counter-buzz...

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. Enormous bang for the buck. Easily earns itself back and then some.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Do you think for a moment that Obama has anything to say that will gain my vote?"

I am/did not a crook/sleep with that woman?

Or, even those failing, "We're working HARD on that heckuva job"?

Better yet: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, suckahs!

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

Wayward, everone caught the joke but you nailed it in post one.
Wayward Son
Member # 210

quote:
Wayward, everone caught the joke but you nailed it in post one.
[DOH]
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flydye45:

Even if I stipulate everything he says, he cannot reform the government by himself and considering the...character of many of his fellows, I see no change.

It was a call to "trust me". I am a cynic.

But it wasn't aimed at me. It was sent to his base and an attempt to get the undecided. I read one analysis where, with this enormous media buy, with the absolute slamming of McPalin by the common culture, with the one sided media attention, if the undecided haven't gone to Obama already...are they now? Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but it's interesting that he hasn't been able to substantially push past the low 50's. But then again, neither did Reagan til the last week.

And Gore was ahead until his last week (which is right about the time his advertising campaign ran out of money).
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There aren't a lot of undecided voters left, and voters still undecided by the last two weeks have historically had very low turn-out even if their previous voting behavior fits the "likely voter" models.

This one is all about turn-out - not trying to persuade 4% to break one way or the other.

[ October 31, 2008, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Jesse ]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page