Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Dune Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dune Question
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little diversion while we wait for the evenings entertainment to roll in.

I read the prequels first, which is probably good. Frank is SOOO much better than Kevin Anderson that I would have been annoyed at the contrast. Instead, I enjoyed the prequels, and while they are a pale shadow of the originals, it is at least interesting to see the origins of some pretty memorable literary conceits.

My question is: Why didn't Anderson and little Herbert address the revelation about the Bene Tleilax from Heretics and Chapterhouse. I thought it was one of the coolest reveals of the series; that the "dirty Tleilaxu" were secretly a fanatical Zen-Sufi culture. All the prequels allude to is their bio-engineering. Or did I miss something?

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not especially knowledgeable on Dune, but I know someone who can probably answer this, and I've asked him.
Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer, I dunno why Anderson and little Herbert didn't address it.

They didn't address a lot of things.

Reading the prequels, and then the originals again, I felt the difference there in my bones. Sure, Frank Herbert can get a little wordy, and the way he wrote The Tyrant was rather... wordy (wordy enough even to make me mentally tongue-tied at times!) but he really was a great writer.

Have you read the sequels Little Herbert and Anderson wrote?

I bought them, out of respect. But I simply... couldn't read them. I read through Heretics and Chapterhouse again recently, after God Emperor, and that cliffhanger held so much promise... but really, I don't feel like the new writers pulled through on that promise.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having read the originals first I honestly couldn't even force myself through the vapid, insipid, thin, watery, juvenile abortions foisted upon us by KJA (spits) and Brian Herbert.

Now I'll tell you how I really feel...

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Giser
Member # 1027

- posted      Profile for Peter Giser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it was by the grace of god that they didn't ruin one more interesting thing Frank wrote. In fact, KJA and BH probably didn't even read past the 3nd book in the series anyway. How could they, to have introduced some of the barbarisms they did in the prequels (especially the Butlerian Jihad trilogy)?

The origin of the Atreides/Harkonnen feud is enough to make me weep - I can only praise that writing duo for leaving as much alone as possible.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh.

The Butlerian Jihad... I'd forgotten, after reading those books, what Herbert actually said about it.

And there's nothing in the original books to support a Matrix-y interpretation. Nothing that I could see.

But there's stuff to suggest a future robot war...

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page