Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Why do you post on Ornery?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why do you post on Ornery?
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With some of the members leaving and reading some of the remarks of others the question came to mind.

Why do you post on Ornery?

Personally I think it’s a great community and I have learned a lot, mostly how poorly I communicate.

When I first joined, as Lessismore, I remember getting so upset when someone disagreed with me or took my words out of context but then it occurred to me that Ornery best use was to better understand myself.

Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I post for many reasons:
1) Trying to argue about an issue seems to be an effective way to learn about it.
2) I like to practice writing in small chunks.
3) I like to try to be funny and see if it works.
4) To occasionally express empathy or provide moral support for someone who is having a hard time.
5) Increasingly, force of habit.
6) Not too many people have told me to go away.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A) My friends are here. It is a place to socialize. Instead of going to a bar or whatever people used to do we have Ornery.

B) I used to use it as therapy. Until I got cured. [Smile]

C) I learn a lot here. We have at least one person that is an expert or close to it in almost any subject. If not we have people that can find answers that I couldn't or wouldn't be able to for lack of ability or patience. Which is so great for those of us who know a lot but are experts on nothing. [Smile]

D) Venting. It gives me a place to vent my frustrations without the danger of becoming violent. And to work on managing my temper. I know it doesn't always seem like it but writing gives me more time to think about what I'm going to say that just mouthing off doesn't. Plus here I can TAKE BACK what I said and in some cases EDIT my words hopefully before anybody sees me showing my ass. Really, time to rethink what I said. And it is right there in black and white so there is no doubt about what I said or what was said to me. Cuts down on the confusion. And I've been here so long that my friends and most people here know that even though I lose it sometimes eventually I will calm down and am man enough to apologize and admit when I am wrong.

E) Advice on all kinds of matters. Personal, work related, poker, relationships, everything. Everything people used to go to their friends for I now come to my friends here for advice and companionship.

And probably a hundred reasons that I can't articulate.

Bottom line; I love this place. Something I never expected. It's like Cheers online. Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name. And hopefully they're always glad you came. [Smile]

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Therapy
2) Therapy
3) Therapy

And suprisingly, a community of friends. Therapy is prolly worthless with strangers. How can you salve your brain or unwind your illogic with nothing but one-line zingers? It's the conversation with keen minds who know you well that is valuable.

Ah, another reason I'm Ornery-addicted at this point is that in all my ravings, I think I've more or less taught my strange language to my fellow Ornerians, which language they graciously learned just to deal with me. That's downright Christian of all of them, whether or not they believe.

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

If you don't have a good answer to that, it's time to leave.
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

- posted      Profile for LinuxFreakus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To fill in time between doing something useful [Smile]

Well, actually because for the most part I don't have many chances to engage in meaningful discussions about many of the wide range of topics covered here. I get exposed to a lot more opinions here.

Posts: 1240 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for Michelle   Email Michelle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason I come here? The computer is in the kitchen and I like to snack. [Smile]

No seriously, I can go days, weeks, months just reading the board. There are many, talented writers here.

There are a few older members who have an understanding about how real debate works. I love reading their stuff. I think the passion of the elections burned a few of them out, and they are just quietly waiting for a time to return to the intellectual exchanges.

"How can you salve your brain or unwind your illogic with nothing but one-line zingers?"

I can't speak for whomever is annoying you at present. I must have missed that thread, but I can say that I do think the writing process is a little different for everyone. The salve may be in the absorbing of other's work, and the one lines zingers are just one way to punctuate key points. As long as the one line zingers aren't inflammatory, or meant to be used primary as a personal attack against another poster, I think all is well.

You'll find these one-line bandits everywhere you go. Consider it graffiti. Now, sometimes graffiti can be petty and childish, but sometimes-if you are lucky- you'll find creativity shines through. Take it for what it is - free-form expression. This is cyberspace. I play like that sometimes, but I try very hard to stay out of the *deep-conversations*, when I'm in the mood to post and run.

I think it's more important to strike a proper balance between the ebb and flow of writing and reading, at least that's what I strive to do. Trying to find that proper balance is enjoyable for me.

I like coming here because it's a challenge for me to find the right time to *jump in the waters*. It's like establishing the beats in a scene.

Damn, I think I burnt my pizza rolls!

Posts: 800 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. It's small enough to be a community of recognizable names. Sometimes the discussion is interactive and interesting to me, sometimes not as much. The same may go for my comments, of course.
Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michelle,

re: one liners

I didn't meant single line exchanges of longer conversations (you talk, I talk, you talk, I talk) I was talking about what it feels like to say something in a totally new board, and try to formulate an important thought in a single zing. The truth is, most ideas require context and bands of contingent clauses ("It is best to wear a rain coat during precitipation between 50-70 degrees, and a waterproof overcoat during precipitation occurring at temperatures from 32-49"). There just aren't a lot of ideas that can be flung around in singletons.....

but as for one-line zings inside THIS place, where we have history and context can be assumed from previous contributions...

hey, love those.

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I save all my posts. I don't post anything I'd be ashamed of my kids seeing. Eventually, my descendants 500 years from now will be able to read them and get to know me a little.

That way, when they wake me up from my cryogenic slumber, I won't be such a stranger.

Too bad the ornery honchos can't save all this as text. It could be compressed and fit on one data dvd, and would be a anthropological treasure trove eons from now, and might make for nice leisure reading even today. [Smile]

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you were leaving with stray?

To be an ass. Not that I need any fine tuning... Just that I find it hard to offend the people around me when I'm at alone at home

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my dazzling personality must be shared
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started posting here because i felt the need to express my opinions about the news somewhere and they shut down the yahoo boards. I like coming here though because it's an established community. Every now and then I am reminded that people who have political positions I find annoying are still pretty cool people. I need to be reminded of that. You don't get that on a board where people constantly come and go.

It also lets me talk with people from the states who are still there (I know other ex-pats here, but it's different issues) so it lets me keep in touch with home. Ocassionally I want to counter-balance what the MSM is saying about things here as well.

[ November 06, 2008, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: Viking_Longship ]

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kat_Freeman
Member # 6081

- posted      Profile for Kat_Freeman   Email Kat_Freeman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cuz... cuz you guys are the coolest.

I love the mental exercise. I've had to re-adjust a lot of my political ideas after hearing some very well-thought-out arguments here (see? you CAN make a difference on OA [Roll Eyes] ). When talking about these subjects in person I feel much more prepared now than I did before.

And being in school + working means I don't have time for REAL friends. Hope y'all don't mind if I stick around awhile.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the same reason I listen to NPR in the morning as I drive to work. I like to listen to alternative points of view.

Also for the same reason I listen to Michael Savage on the drive home. I like to hear real people and their stories.

This is a great place.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't for a few months because meatspace demanded my attention. In fact it still does but I've found time to lurk every now and then (that's right, I'm watching you) and maybe I'll find the time to post every now and then, too.

I've realized that I can't always talk about things I'm contemplating in meatspace for one reason or another and being able to post my ideas here, wrong or otherwise, helps take me out of thought loops (now part of a nutritious breakfast).

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi calad! Nice to see you didn't drop off the face of the earth.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could never stay away, sci. *blush*
Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the most part, I don't post. 256 posts in 34 months. I've actually typed up at least twice as many posts; many get deleted rather than posted. Mostly, it's because I don't really care. I'm not going to convince anyone here of anything, and it turns out that I don't really care whether anyone here agrees with me. I have basically no personal attachment to anyone here. Yet I've been reading and occasionally talking for near 3 years.

When I do post, it is almost always on topics of opinion or a small factoid or nugget of information that I truly believe that very few people here might know. I also don't post much, because I don't have the time to get involved in the debates that go on. Hot topics can add whole pages between me checking on them, so I can only comment if I have something to say that can be a single self-contained post. Anything requiring follow-up or eliciting a rebuttal will just be a waste. It will get lost and forgotten long before I have time to get back to anyone's response.

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think more people will see what I have to say if I put it here rather than on a blog.
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I post for many reasons:
1) Trying to argue about an issue seems to be an effective way to learn about it.

Exactly my reason. Sometimes I argue a point I believe, sometimes I try out the role of devil's advocate to see where things go, sometimes I just try to throw a wrench in the works and see who/what falls out.
Finvarra
Member # 2786

- posted      Profile for Finvarra   Email Finvarra       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could be wrong but I think that the many people who have said on other threads something akin to "I know I'm not going to change anyone's view here" underestimate the effect they have. I've rethought many issues based on threads here (been lurking longer than posting.)

OA is good for learning about topics I don't know a lot about, hearing different views, passing the time when bored, and if we're being honest, most of us are here because arguing is just fun.

[ November 06, 2008, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Finvarra ]

Posts: 179 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mason Leege
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Mason Leege   Email Mason Leege   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard Dey.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, dear old-timer, Richard Dey has not been in evidence since earlier this year.

I started posting because Ornery was a cut above other forums and friends in terms of intelligent dialogue. I continue because, even as the level of debate has fluctuated somewhat, I basically like the people here and enjoy debating in this particular community.

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I post here cause I get to engage in the kinds of debates that eventually ruin your real life relationships if you have them with your family and friends. [Smile]
Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Richard Dey. "

He's in hell now, with all those he loved so dearly [Frown]

I started because I liked to see the well thought out views of people smarter than me, and have reversed and re-reversed pretty much every opinion I've ever held. Now mostly just to flirt with kenmeer, Jesse, and Richard Dey. So now I'm just floundering :'(

Plus it's cheaper than drugs and less annoying than girls.

[ November 06, 2008, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: TommySama ]

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

I second what daruma said [Smile]
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Habit.

I used to post here because I got to read interesting ideas, and interesting discussions about them. The discourse has declined, but the link is still in my bookmarks, so here I stay.

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the diversity of ideas and opinions, though that has declined slightly with occasional spikes as new folk come along. I also like the higher level of discussion that I normally don't get among my local peers, much as I like them. I'm no intellectual giant capable of lightning quick online debating though I enjoy having the opportunity to share thoughts and participate to some small degree. Admittedly, I've been somewhat private but I'm glad you guys are here to make Ornery what it is, and hope I'm not too much the annoying tag-a-log little brother of the group.
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To force my morality on others.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

BECAUSE I NEED TO WIN THE INTERNET!
Locus
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Locus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody on some random thread posted a comment a few days ago with regard to "why do people announce they're leaving it just makes them look stupid if they come back and hey ..like anyone cares anyway"

I've been mulling that for a day or two now. Here's what I came up with. First appearing stupid weak foolish or otherwise inferior is human. You might as well just get used to it unless you have a viable plan to evolve into a god in the next few moments or you're already there. (if by some chance you are stop reading this board it's pointless for you)

Secondly, people have this nasty tendency of keeling over dead when you least expect it. When somebody you've been trying to wrestle into submission for months suddenly is a no show one day it is natural to wonder why.

Sending a general parting note is simply good manners and you never know when your partner may in fact be a lurker that's never spoken with you.

Last, it is all just words they're cheap and easily replaced.

Now on to the actual thread topic. I like to dip in occasionally and catch the pulse of what occupies people's minds. From time to time glimpsing the fears and dreams of others helps one's own journey.

Posts: 678 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page