Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  76  77  78   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last thread had to be locked because I received a report of error messages. Perhaps the thread had reached a critical mass? Anyway, it doesn't hurt to continue where we left off in a new thread. If the last posts you tried to make there didn't seem to come through, don't feel shy about reposting them here.

Second verse same as the first...

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been happening a lot for quite awhile. I was really hoping there was a fight
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OM...it was just shy of 200 pages! have you no sense of timing???
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OM just might have saved us from the Apocalypse! We were lulled by the seemingly uneventful achievement of 100 pages; who knows what might have happened at 200?
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NSCutler
Member # 1403

- posted      Profile for NSCutler   Email NSCutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ancient Mayan calendar makers predicted that the miscellaneous chat thread would never reach 200 pages.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been able to read the Misc. Chat page at home for weeks. It was annoying. But to stop in the middle of page 198? Ah! Can't we unlock it, post it up to 200 pages and then retire it? It's like retiring with 2,995 hits. Or 498 home runs. HOW WILL I SLEEP AT NIGHT?!?!?
Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend a good book.
A good HEAVY book.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something like this happened at another Forum I post on and the problem is there is a max number of posts that the Database can handle in a thread. They are on the 7ht version of some threads.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will the locked Miscellaneous Chat thread work from now on? If not, maybe we could lock it at, say, page 150 and start the new one with page 151.
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only time I ever got an error message on Misc was when I was reading without actually logging in as Funean.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who WERE you logged in as, Funean? [Wink]
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

"Guest" [Smile]
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did the moderator alert thread get deleted?
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Moderation Alert thread still exists but is no longer stickied because the zero tolerance rules are no longer in force. I felt it was no longer necessary for it to be one of the initial posts for everyone to see and read however it is still available to find via the search feature or going through page by page (I think at this moment it's dropped down to about page 3 although at the rate we go, that'll change fast). I've linked people to it from a few other threads as well, I believe, as warnings.
Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Btw, is He-Who-Must-Be-Named gone for good now? (I'm afraid if I use His name that we will be inundated with threads once again.)
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voldemort?
Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you guys see this?

From 52 to 48 with love.

Meanwhile, yet another peaceful and well-organized transfer of power begins. Have I mentioned that I love this country?

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

I always thought it would be cooler if the incoming administration had to storm the Winter Palace in order to take power.

... Is there an American Winter Palace? That would be badass

Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OpsanusTau:
Did you guys see this?

From 52 to 48 with love.

Meanwhile, yet another peaceful and well-organized transfer of power begins. Have I mentioned that I love this country?

The girl voted red and the guy voted blue? I'm surprised it wasn't the other way around.

Maybe all the conservative radio hosts should do photos like this the next time a Republican wins. >_>

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And also, here is a little glimpse of what Seattle was like on Tuesday night:

Some patriotism.

You can't actually tell, but the shadowy figure on top of the building is a drag queen. There were police monitoring the situation all night, but they didn't feel the need to intervene. Later, they told everyone it was time to go to bed, which everyone did after cleaning up.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yossarian22c
Member # 1779

- posted      Profile for yossarian22c   Email yossarian22c       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought I would post a thanks to munga for all the education about energy and government policy it allowed me to notice what is a somewhat subtle difference in Palin’s energy speech last week. She advocated tax credits for wind and solar and other renewable energy sources while advocating spending 2 billion dollars a year on clean coal. Which means the government will give tax breaks for renewable energies but they will actually pay for putting up part of a coal plant. Without all the energy rants I might not have immediately noticed the difference in the two statements. So thanks for helping me recognize those types of differences in public policy.
Posts: 1121 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yer welcome.

sucks, doesn't it.

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

[Crying]
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we can handle the loss of our beloved MISC thread if the thing is put in permanent downloadable document form. That way, if I have downloaded "MISC thread 1-198" then I can run as search on it right at home, not that I feature too much, I'm relatively new.
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Member # 2439

- posted      Profile for Mormegil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On UBB if a thread goes to 200 pages the stars go out. UBB was actually the inspiration for Arthur C. Clarke's story.

Re the 48 to 52 thing, I guess that's all about the Presidential election and not prop 8 in California...

I miss Tom Bailey being around to say something like, "Sure it's easy for the winners and losers to get along, since it didn't matter which Demopublican won."

Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great links, MattP. But I shall say so here to keep them on the end of the legal thread. That can rest and rejuvenate while I get back to actual living for a while.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yossarian22c
Member # 1779

- posted      Profile for yossarian22c   Email yossarian22c       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep it sucks, I would much rather have a solar farm nearby than a coal plant. Much better for the lungs not to mention all the other environmental factors.
Posts: 1121 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll finish archiving it this week.
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The old miscellaneous thread was blocked to my UK connection for weeks and I got out of the habit of looking. Trouble is I can’t think of anything now to write and I don’t suppose much has happened in the US in the last few weeks.

It’s Remembrance Sunday here so everything locally is very quiet.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The remark above by Athelstan seems to me the final evidence needed that any Miscellaneous Chat thread should be locked and a new one started whenever it exceeds 100 pages. Letting it approach 200 pages clearly can trigger a variety of software limits which may cause some users trouble, but cutting it off at 100 pages should avoid such annoyances. Also there is no purpose in making our computers struggle with unwieldy blocks of data anyway. Maybe the threads could be let continue a bit longer, but 100 pages is a number simple to remember and hopefully small enough to avoid problems.

And yes, Athelstan, everything here has been very quiet so you have not missed much...

[ November 09, 2008, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

I just heard about this (Stacy is psyched) The new MS Vista whatever it's called, allows you to record shows off cable like Tivo or DVR and then watch them on your computer laptop whatever at any time. Sounds pretty cool.

I put this on the "Consumer Help" thread where we can help each other buy quality products, or not buy crap products that look good on commercials, but I thought this was important enough to put here on Misc too so nobody misses it.

Finally we can watch quality tv, movies, cable, anywhere on our laptops. This is as big as Tivo unless there is a catch I'm not catching?

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

I'm not advocating this, from above, but if you have a earbud in one ear and set your computer where it the screen can be set back to a work screen with a single click you can catch a thirty minute break without having to worry about your boss walking in and catching you.

Though that is TOO big a chance so you should probably save it for lunch time. Eat at your desk and watch a show to break up your day. Perfect.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

KEY: Bust your ass to get your work done and get ahead so the boss doesn't care if you take a few minutes personal time.

Us nonsmokers should get some kind of perk for not wasting company time and costing the company on their insurance premiums.

KE

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to rain on your parade, KE, but that's pretty old news. [Wink] This has been possible for a long time, and using Microsoft operating systems without additional software since at least 2005. (Windows XP Media Center Edition.) In Vista you need the "Home Premium" or "Ultimate" edition to get the built in DVR functionality.

If you don't have XP MCE, or Vista HP or Ult, you can do this with 3rd party software. In all cases, though, you need a way to feed the video signal to your PC.

The best way for over-the-air TV is to get a TV tuner made for PCs. Once installed you just hook up the co-ax from your antenna to the tuner input and then set up through your software.

For satellite and digital cable, things are still a bit more complicated - you would probably want to have an external receiver provided from the TV service provider. Then you can have your PC control that receiver through a data cable or (more commonly, I believe) an IR "blaster" that functions like an automatic remote control. All in all it's still a bit clunky, IMO, due to the fact that cable and satellite providers have proprietary receiver equipment that isn't easily replaced with PC-specific equipment. It's been about a year since I looked into it in depth, but there was SUPPOSED to be some industry standardization for cable decoding hardware that would solve most of the problems, but it was being held up in various ways and a lot of people felt the incipient standards were deeply flawed. The cable industry had to be dragged kicking and screaming, of course.

[ November 09, 2008, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: scifibum ]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

Any other bunny owners on ornery?
Mine is currently driving me nuts.

TommySama
Member # 2780

No, but I have two mice. I have to take out their wheel at night or else they run on it constantly

"Here comes Peter Cottontail, he's a big fat 10 pound male
He's gonna make a tasty rabbit stew
Skin him for his fluffy fur
Make a pair of gloves for her
or a pair of furlined underpants.
Oh, here comes Peter Cottontail, at the pet shop he's on sale
Plus keychains and stew for everyone!"

Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE

AppleTV

Enough said. Just bought 2 for my house rebuild.

Comes with nifty remotes.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

quote:
Originally posted by hobsen:

The remark above by Athelstan seems to me the final evidence needed that any Miscellaneous Chat thread should be locked and a new one started whenever it exceeds 100 pages. Letting it approach 200 pages clearly can trigger a variety of software limits which may cause some users trouble, but cutting it off at 100 pages should avoid such annoyances. Also there is no purpose in making our computers struggle with unwieldy blocks of data anyway. Maybe the threads could be let continue a bit longer, but 100 pages is a number simple to remember and hopefully small enough to avoid problems.

Indeed; 100 is a perfect "milestone" number for a topic to end on. One can hardly complain that a topic that long has been cut off prematurely; I was once on a board that, for software reasons, locked topics when they reached ten pages!
Omega M.
Member # 1392

quote:
Originally posted by Everard:

Disapproving Rabbits
scifibum
Member # 945

quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
quote:
Originally posted by Everard:

Disapproving Rabbits
I'm guessing you have to be a rabbit owner to be able to see disapproval on their faces. I see furry looks.

Or it could be in your head. What do you people do in front of your rabbits? [Eek!]

This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  76  77  78   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page