Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2 (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  76  77  78   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong. [Smile]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RacerX
Member # 6928

- posted      Profile for RacerX   Email RacerX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] Know what song that (your version) is from, WS?
Posts: 73 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RacerX
Member # 6928

- posted      Profile for RacerX   Email RacerX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did this stop being a place for people to say "Hey" and talk about what they are up to casually, and turn into just another thread for people to debate?

What's everybody up to now days? (I've been gone over a year so...)

[ July 28, 2014, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: RacerX ]

Posts: 73 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Know what song that (your version) is from, WS?
No. Never heard it in a song.

And I thought I was being original... [Frown]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RacerX
Member # 6928

It is hard to hear but it is in "The Outfield"s song "I Don't Want to Lose Your Love Tonight" off the "Play Deep" album. And it's turned around:

"Just because you're right, that don't mean I'm wrong!" "Another shoulder to cry upon..."

[ July 28, 2014, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: RacerX ]

RacerX
Member # 6928

Love Tonight

At 1:43

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RacerX:
When did this stop being a place for people to say "Hey" and talk about what they are up to casually, and turn into just another thread for people to debate?

What's everybody up to now days? (I've been gone over a year so...)

I think it's been around 3 years since the friendly chat died down around here.

I think, honestly, it's partly due to the popularity of Facebook (and to a much lesser extent other social networks). Many (most?) of us have another connection to the people we feel friendly toward, and a venue that lends itself more to that kind of thing.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RacerX
Member # 6928

Yeah, that's mostly where I've been. I guess you are right that it does take the place of Misc Chat. Too bad whoever came up with Misc Chat didn't see that before Zuckerberg did; they could have been rich! [Smile]
RacerX
Member # 6928

Recent movies; ***Spoilers*** but not many.
"Divergent" Great. Even better than "Ender's Game" which I thought was fair enough to the book and very good.
"Edge of Tomorrow" Very good.
"Draft Day" Good.
"Zero Theorem" weird.
"The Expendables" Exactly what you'd expect.
"Transformers" Bad. Enough to send normal people into epileptic fits.
"Noah" sucked.
"Transcendence" Okay, but I was disappointed. (My expectations my have been too high.)
"Neighbors" Okay, but that baby could have been killed a bunch of times if that had been real.

Wayward Son
Member # 210

I just saw "Guardians of the Galaxy" last night. Lots of fun (in an "Avengers" sort of way). [Smile]
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm moving this here because the tone really doesn't match the original thread. It kinda got away from me.

From Pete in the ISIS:
quote:
I'd like to see strikes on the bastards that are bankrolling them.
What, and check writers responsible? What kind of radical are you?

Besides they're probably incorporated so any liability attaches to the company not the person. #how to piss off a lawyer #words always mean the same thing right? #If I reference Hobby Lobby I can stick the left-wing dismount for 5 points #If I get 100 points I get a free toaster #Oh no #I've been infected by Tumblr #send help and I don't mean fanfic and kittens #but send those too #especially fanfic with kittens #but not *those* kind of fanfics #you know which ones I mean

[ August 08, 2014, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: NobleHunter ]

Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happens if you try to use the little doctor.on a neutron star?
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a tricky little question:

What FOUR countries have the most land mass in North America? [Smile]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US, Mexico, Canada, and Greenland [Smile]
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admit I didn't know that.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked at one of this guy's restaurants for a couple months this year. Anyone able to guess what is going to happen? I assume that he won't actually be convicted of 68 felonies (I believe he's being charged for each month he under reported). Will they drop the charges if he pays the taxes he owes?

And for the record, I hope they throw him in prison.

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I manic or have difficulties with emotional regulation extended to sarcasm? An introspective at 11.
Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by TommySama:
The US, Mexico, Canada, and Greenland [Smile]

Close. Greenland's not a country; it's part of Denmark. [Big Grin] So that's the fourth country.

Tricky, eh?

Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by NobleHunter:
I'm moving this here because the tone really doesn't match the original thread. It kinda got away from me.

From Pete in the ISIS:
quote:
I'd like to see strikes on the bastards that are bankrolling them.
What, and check writers responsible? What kind of radical are you?

Besides they're probably incorporated so any liability attaches to the company not the person. #how to piss off a lawyer #words always mean the same thing right? #If I reference Hobby Lobby I can stick the left-wing dismount for 5 points #If I get 100 points I get a free toaster #Oh no #I've been infected by Tumblr #send help and I don't mean fanfic and kittens #but send those too #especially fanfic with kittens #but not *those* kind of fanfics #you know which ones I mean

Agreed On the irony of corporations laundering responsibility. Fortunately criminal guilt is another matter.
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In hospital waiting room. My son's second brain surgery in two weeks following complications from the first.
Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

My best wishes to him and all your family, Greg.
Wayward Son
Member # 210

Be strong. May everything turn out better than expected.
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck to you and your son, Greg. <3
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all. I was in waiting room earlier and couldn't really post on social media (even though I use my real name, there's no associations)

He's back in his hospital room, recovering (I am grabbing dinner, then his girlfriend who is with him will eat, then my wife who is visiting with her parents will grab the overnight shift tonight).

On another day I'll talk abou what ACA literally means in the case, but for today I'll just accept the well wishes and hope for the best

[ March 03, 2015, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Greg Davidson ]

Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

Argh. Bad postop visual test. Maybe it will improve with time but not looking good
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does that mean for him? [Frown]
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

Worst case would be blindness. Pretty bad worst case.
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

Oh god. You and he are in my thoughts. I hope he pulls through.
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

Possible 3rd surgery today
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blessings.

I will send prayers your way.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

Third surgery went better. Visual improvement now after about 15 hours. Still have to hope for continuing progress, but prospects better than yesterday.

Thanks for the support. Not something to discuss on social media, as the connection with my son would permanently reveal medical information to a broad community. Even using my own name here, there is no easily searchable connection. Made this a safe space to reach out. Again, thanks.

scifibum
Member # 945

Glad to hear that, Greg. I sometimes miss when this site contained more of a community, but for the most part there's no reason why people would want to be here instead of Facebook for social interaction. Yours was a good reason that I hope you don't ever have again.
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope for a continued recovery.

Blessings on your family.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

Final post on this (hopefully). Out of hospital, on good recovery path. Appear to have dodged a bullet
Seneca
Member # 6790

- posted      Profile for Seneca   Email Seneca       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found it hilarious today after hearing Obama's responses to the Congressional budget proposal that we now have a President who is refusing to negotiate with the US Congress, but who will negotiate with the Islamo-Nazi regime in Tehran who are our sworn enemies.
Posts: 6017 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

What do you expect the poor guy to do? You can only negotiate with people who can act reasonably. [Smile]
Seneca
Member # 6790

- posted      Profile for Seneca   Email Seneca       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wayward Son:
What do you expect the poor guy to do? You can only negotiate with people who can act reasonably. [Smile]

That was very funny. [LOL]
Posts: 6017 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

It is truly frustating when the compulsion to sarcasm impedes any useful conversation.
Rafi
Member # 6930

- posted      Profile for Rafi   Email Rafi       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which one was being sarcastic?
Posts: 793 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

I was trying to respond to somone's comments but kept being too sarcastic to meaningfully engage. I had to delete the messages.

Not something you have to worry about.

This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  76  77  78   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page