Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2 (Page 20)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  76  77  78   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Police: Fleeing Bank Robber Scared North Carolina Woman to Death
Thursday, January 29, 2009
RALEIGH, N.C. — Larry Whitfield was on foot, his getaway car wrecked, his rookie attempt at robbing a bank thwarted by a set of locked doors, according to detectives. Looking for a place to hide, police say, he found himself inside the home of a frightened old woman.

There's no evidence Whitfield ever touched 79-year-old Mary Parnell. Authorities say he even told the grandmother of five he didn't want to hurt her, directing her to sit in a chair in her bedroom. But investigators have no doubt he terrified her so much that she died of a heart attack.

Now Whitfield, a 20-year-old with no prior criminal record, is charged with first-degree murder, a rare defendant accused of literally scaring a person to death.

"He could've avoided all this by turning himself in, and life would've went on for Mrs. Parnell," said Capt. Calvin Shaw of the Gaston County Police Department, which handled the investigation.

Under a legal concept known as the felony murder rule, it's not uncommon for prosecutors to bring a murder charge against a defendant who doesn't intentionally harm a victim. The rule exists in some form in every state and lets authorities bring murder charges whenever someone dies during a crime such as burglary, rape, or kidnapping.

A) I'm not suggesting that she died of fright because he was black (and she was an old white woman that had grown up in a racist era when blacks had been demonized) and B) Should he really be charged with murder for "scaring her to death"? Involuntary manslaughter and bank robbery seem enough to me. But then it wasn't my grandma either.

KE

News from Texas:

quote:
Transportation officials in Texas are scrambling to prevent hackers from changing messages on digital road signs after one sign in Austin was altered to read, "Zombies Ahead."

Chris Lippincott, director of media relations for the Texas Department of Transportation, confirmed that a portable traffic sign at Lamar Boulevard and West 15th Street, near the University of Texas at Austin, was hacked into during the early hours of Jan. 19.

"It was clever, kind of cute, but not what it was intended for," said Lippincott, who saw the sign during his morning commute. "Those signs are deployed for a reason — to improve traffic conditions, let folks know there's a road closure."

"It's sort of amusing, but not at all helpful," he told FOXNews.com.

God bless Texas!

Edited to add: Don't miss Ken's joke on the bottom of the previous page. [Smile]

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I'm fixin to watch "Bangkok Dangerous" on pay per view. I have low expectations, but I like Nick Cage/Coppola.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Stacy just put her big sunglasses on Jake's black Lab and I took a picture with my Blackberry. He looks like Huggy Bear from "Starsky and Hutch", but cuter. (He just left them there. Goofy dog.) If I can figure out how I'll post the pic. [Smile]

I used to have the American flag as my screensaver, but that pic is so cute I changed it to our Lab/Huggy Bear for now.

KE

Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://tinypic.com/

Bjorn Stronginthearm is your uncle.

Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Man, I cannot believe Pizza Hut is making such good lasagna.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

So, I just searched and Jesse hasn't posted since November 5th. I guess he was serious. That sucks.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

"I'm Not Here" a biography about Bob Dylan. Anybody see this? Somebody explain it to me, please? Apparently I was not high enough when I watched it. I'll try again later, but I could use any clarification I can get.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Interesting, to me, Christian Bale and Heath Ledger were in it. It was released in 2007 so I would assume just before "Batman", Ledgers last movie.

Besides Ledger and Bale it also has Richard Gere, David Cross, and a ton of other "stars". It is one trippy movie.

Bob Dylan refuses to concur that he is the "voice of his generation". Wonder who is the voice of our generation?

KE

TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Ledger is in another movie that is coming out/came out already, I do believe.

I like all the classes I'm taking this semester a lot. But, my African Politics professor is an idiot. Course material looks really interesting, but the dude spent the first 2 hours of class rambling about social inequality being the cause of all the problems in the world. And don't get me wrong, I don't have any particular problem with him saying that or anything else. But I literally just summed up 2 hours of class with that last sentence. He didn't even go into depth. I have no idea what the guy is doing at a University. He obviously thought he was super clever to be a Marxist advocate.

He even misused words and phrases. I've had plenty of professors that bored me half to sleep, but never one that was so frustratingly stupid. Maybe he was high and it will get better when he shows up sober?

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Wonder who is the voice of our generation?

KE

Madonna?

Actually, that's a neat question....

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

That's who Stacy had.

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Stacy. [Smile]

[ February 02, 2009, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: cperry ]

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE, where do you draw the lines around your generation? Who gets to decide when generations start and end? And, is there anyway that when we divide up generations, I can be in a different one that the kids 5 years younger than me who've been texting rather than speaking since their early teenage years?
Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my generation, I would say David Horowitz. My gen is the anti-peace-priority crowd.
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a BBC programme, last night, that claimed that of the fifty tax havens around the world eighteen are British Protectorates and therefore have God Save The Queen as their National Anthem. Who said the British Empire was dead and not just something to appear in forthcoming Total War games. This anthem was also sung at President Obama’s Inauguration but unfortunately they got the words wrong. I sure nobody noticed so he wont have to do it again.

Nowhere to hide for tax havens?

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

What's the deal with Magic Johnson? Either A) He's been as blessed with miraculous health just as he was blessed with amazying stature and talented, which doesn't seem fair, or B) There is a cure for HIV or to keep HIV from becoming AIDS if you have enough money?

KE

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that HIV treatments are getting pretty good at this point. Wikipedia says life expectancy post-infection can be 30+ years (if treatment is started on time and patient adheres to regimen. Of course no one has been on current regimens for 30 years so it's a theoretical number)

It is expensive but I think even 3rd string NBA players can afford it. It looks like the costs are similar to a house payment.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Athelstan:
I saw a BBC programme, last night, that claimed that of the fifty tax havens around the world eighteen are British Protectorates and therefore have God Save The Queen as their National Anthem. Who said the British Empire was dead and not just something to appear in forthcoming Total War games. This anthem was also sung at President Obama’s Inauguration but unfortunately they got the words wrong. I sure nobody noticed so he wont have to do it again.

Nowhere to hide for tax havens?

quote:

One man has targeted tax haven abuse in the Caymans - and his name is Barack Obama. So change for the world's tax havens seems on the way - whether the leaders of the micro-states like it or not.

Interesting. Had not even heard about that.
Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

quote:
Originally posted by Clark:
KE, where do you draw the lines around your generation? Who gets to decide when generations start and end? And, is there anyway that when we divide up generations, I can be in a different one that the kids 5 years younger than me who've been texting rather than speaking since their early teenage years?

You know, I think generations are defined after the fact when there are defining moments to mark the beginning and end. Such as the Baby Boom.
cperry
Member # 1938

And, there's always wiggle room at either end.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And, there's always wiggle room at either end."

Part of the charm of the female of the species. Likewise, the male, but our wiggles are less embellished.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

Only you, KL. Only you!
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, only your husband and not me, alas, but such is matrimony.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

For Ev:

THIS IS WHAT JEFF FOXWORTHY HAS TO SAY ABOUT LIVING IN WASHINGTON STATE:
>>
>>
>> If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't
>> work there, you live in Washington.
>>
>> If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you live in
>> Washington.
>>
>> If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed
>> the wrong number, you live in Washington.
>>
>> If you measure distance in hours, you live in Washington.
>>
>> If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you live
>> in Washington.
>>
>> If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' and back again in the same
>> day, you live in Washington.
>>
>> If you install security lights on your house and garage but leave both
>> doors unlocked, you live in Washington.
>>
>> If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard
>> without flinching, you live in Central, Southern or Eastern Washington.
>>
>> If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over 8 layers of
>> clothes, you live in Washington.
>>
>> If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph -- you're going 80, and
>> everyone is still passing you, you live in Washington.
>>
>> If driving is better in the winter because th e potholes are filled with
>> snow and ice, you live in Washington.
>>
>> If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road
>> construction, you live in Washington.
>>
>> If you actually understand these jokes and forward them to all your
>> WASHINGTON friends, you live or have lived in Washington.

Sorry about the >>s.

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the exact same list for Utah. I'm guessing you could toss in Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, and a dozen other states too.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
guys, I'm totally sick.

This gives me a rare opportunity- time to do something that isn't due because everyone's kicked my germs out of play.

so I wanted to write a paper, and maybe send it somewhere.

Problem? I'm only working at Sick-Level.

Would anyone like to help me edit this sucker?

Slouching Toward Mexico

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My girlfriend recently graduated college. A friend got her a neat wallet (clutch?) from etsy.com for graduation. While the seller from whom the wallet was purchased has since dropped off the face of the earth, but my girlfriend thought that etsy was so cool that she set up a site here.

Shameless plug - but a pretty neat idea, too.

Also - does anyone play Enemy Territory: Quake Wars? I've heard good things about it.

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My little sisters teeth are falling out as a consequence of her days as a meth addict.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

You seen some woe, TommySam.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Problem? I'm only working at Sick-Level.

Would anyone like to help me edit this sucker?

Slouching Toward Mexico"

A major job but I'll tackle it if you like.I think it wouldn't take much practice for a bright'un like you to master turning econ-speak into people-speak.

munga
Member # 6006

KL,

please help. I've already got more real work on my head, and I'm not done coughing.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

OK. But you're gonna hate me when it's over... or adore me. I am ruthless but benevolent. I'll start probably tonight. I will ask a ton of questions.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Just click my name and you'll find an email function to reach me. If you can;t send me nekkid pitchers, at least send me a pitcher of your dog.

I don't know which I love more: women or dogs (although in very different ways). But both women and dogs agree I give great backrub.

munga
Member # 6006

bless you, I need another set of eyes. My husband can't write very well and no one at work has the compassion on the masses (they've just lost patience a long time ago.... people think the dumbest things make sense and the guys counting beans can't stand to watch it..... I know one guy who just walks out of the room, he can't stand it) to try to talk to them. It would be great to have something reasonsable. I'm going to re-work the last two pages a bit today if I can find time, and if you are working on the first few, we should coordinate pretty well.
yossarian22c
Member # 1779

- posted      Profile for yossarian22c   Email yossarian22c       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I skimmed the paper and was wondering who the intended audience was?
Posts: 1121 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

general humanity. Like an op-ed. But I have a very big problem speaking human when I go into finance.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Tell me 'bout it. We gon' fix dat. You will hate me just in time to love me when next la lune descende.
scifibum
Member # 945

Argh me mateys.

I got one thing left to do this week before I go home.

I'm gonna do it. Right this minute. Right.....NOW!

Kick me if I don't.

munga
Member # 6006

so, didja get it done?

*foot drawn back prepared to wump you*

munga
Member # 6006

tommy, I always picture the college student crowd as dirt poor (projection) so how are your own teeth?
  This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  76  77  78   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page