Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  76  77  78   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See God, Jews, and History, written by a very secular but very pro-Jewish dude.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**** book. I have it. Couldn't read past a few pages as it was full of junk, such as "unlike the Indians and Chinese, who only had one great age..."

Please. I want ignorant yahooism, I strike up a conversation at the falafel place.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could not for the life of me think of the word falafel the other day. Knew what it looked like, tasted like, smelled like, even what it's made of...and couldn't think of the word.

I was describing it to my wife to see if she could think of the word, and she couldn't make the connection either. Later, she said "oh, falafel. Yeah, why didn't you say so?"

[Exploding]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Jewish friend of mine just invited me to his JewFrat's falafel party. I was surprised, as I thought falafels were a middle eastern dish (Muslim dish). Then I looked at a little map in my brain, and noticed that Israel was in the middle east. Then I remembered a book I read describing how Jews have lived in the middle east for like, ever. And then I was sad for myself
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two kinds of falafel. There's the Egyptian version, properly known as Ta'amie, which is made of ful, whereas the Lebanese (who are the absolute masters of Arabic/Middle Eastern cuisine) make it from chickpeas. The second kind is more well known in the world, as ful is artilelery level ordnance and doesn't sit well with the unaccustomed intestine.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ful = fava beans to us westerners, no?
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Please. I want ignorant yahooism, I strike up a conversation at the falafel place.

It is one of my favorite things when you sound like an old Jewish man in New York City. Makes me a little ...homesick is wrong, but makes me want to move back there (which I might! who knows! fingers crossed on grad school applications!).
Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

What, meidale, you want I should come take you by the hand and bring you back to where you can get a decent knish? [Smile]
RickyB
Member # 1464

I think so, scifi. Yup, that's the one. Few things compare to the joy of a plate of humus with tehina, fava beans and chickpeas with some parsley, olive oil and lemon juice on top on a rainy cold day. Oh, and a browned hardboiled egg on the side. Very important.
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For fans of Doctor Who - New Doctor?
Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dopest president in town.
Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DAMN THAT BUSH IS TOIGHT!
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years late, historians are going to look back at that photo and say the same thing we're saying now, 'WTF?'
Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Athelstan, couldn't find it. Say it ain't so. I love David Tennant.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

It told me the video wasn't available in "my country". What the hell?
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

I can't watch the video, either.

Youtube is apparently segregating itself into various country oriented domains or something. I just tried to send a friend of mine in Canada a YouTube link, and she couldn't watch it.

0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on! That's just silly. "Not available in your country."

Somehow I get the feeling that would make something like China playing internet censor far easier.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of yesterday morning, I own a banker's ass.

I'm just trying to figure out the best thing to do with it.

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

I suggest making like a squirrel and storing some nuts in it.

Think about it!

munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've determined we shall own the bank. That bank, or make them give another. This is going to be a few interesting months.
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry

You can get a flavour of it here . Printed before David Tennant's hints at his leaving. He has also said he did not rule out his return.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I never get to do anything fun anymore, I'm gonna post two messages here...this is the first...
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and this is the second...

8000 Misc Chat posts...yay...party! [Big Grin]

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but I feel completely unfulfilled by that 8000th post.
Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I can die a happy man now. My only contribution to the world has been fulfilled. Oh, and my children of course.

But they're still up in the air Misc Chat is a success! Dare I say it; An American Institution!

[Smile]

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a lovely place to hang out, KE. Thanks for throwing such a great party!
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yossarian22c
Member # 1779

- posted      Profile for yossarian22c   Email yossarian22c       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So munga can you take his ass to the fed window to get the money for your project?
Posts: 1121 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

yep

But we want the bank, too.

Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that various frequent posters here either don't want to have serious debates on topics, or have no idea how to. It is disappointing the frequency that little phrases pop up that do nothing other than rile up other people. I refrain from giving specific examples, as that would implicate certain individuals, and I wouldn't want to implicate one without implicating them all.

Is it too much to ask that posts be reviewed before they get sent off into the abyss, and that we all check to make sure that our words are actually used to convey a meaningful message, rather that cluttering up otherwise good arguments with little insults? Those little jabs at others speak so loudly, that it's difficult at times to read the other words that make up the bulk of the post. Too often the main point of posts seems to be to that the poster let the world know that they are in every way superior to the person they are responding to.

I've written 2 or 3 times as many posts as I've actually submitted here. I often write a reply and then delete it without sending it. One reason for a significant number of those deletions is that I would rather say nothing, than to say something poorly.

What percentage of our own posts would we be proud to have others read?

(To be clear, my thoughts tonight are about needlessly combative writing styles, not frivolous posts or jokes. I love me a good frivolous thread as much or more than anybody.)

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

It’s not only the BBC that restricts viewing as I found when I tried to watch a full episode of the Daily Show. I received the following message.

quote:
Dear Great Britain

We’re terribly sorry, but full episodes of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart are not available.

But please don’t send the Red Coats in retaliation at this time, as you CAN get your headlines at Channel 4.

Talk about holding a grudge.

I was able to take part in the Green Card Lottery though.

munga
Member # 6006

Alright everyone, brace yourselves because I am going to bitch.

When a poster has gone through the trouble of demonstrating how to do something, and it does work on paper, why can't the target of the post say, "well, that does work on paper, wouldn't it be great if the coalition of the willing could do that." Or, "Of course I agree with your ideas on principle, and just hope it could be enacted without too much squabbling."

Is the essence of Ornery that we can't admit when another person has demonstrated that an idea is viable or based upon a valuable dynamic that ought to be preserved for our good?

Why do I bother to post reasonable compromises when no one will ever say, "I guess you have demonstrated a point, and in your description I can see that it would work."

I don't ask that people get all the way on board.

In general, I argue pretty tolerantly of the opposition.

And PARDON THIS POSTER if I just bust a little blister here and say,

IT IS NO DAMN FUN PRACTICING PERSUASION IF NO ONE WILL EVER RECOGNIZE AND CONCEED ANY POINT AT ALL.

D Pace
Member # 1493

- posted      Profile for D Pace   Email D Pace       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Munga, what you propose in the way of conceding valid points seems very viable and useful in an ideal world, and many would benefit therefrom. The realities of human pride and intransigence may render it unworkable in real-world applications, but I applaud your theoretical work on the subject.
Posts: 376 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

[Big Grin]
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

So, I've jacked up my desk about two feet and am trying to stand all day while I work.

Back story is that I lost about thirty pounds over the space of about six months last year. Have managed to gain about ten back.

I think the culprit is that I have a new job that requires me to sit all day. I get home and sit some more.

Researching it, various sites give different numbers as to how many more calories you burn per hour standing versus sitting, but I think it averages out to be around 30 to 50 more or so.

Over an 8 hour day, even the low end loss adds up over the course of a day. So, I'm kind of psyched to see what happens.

Of course, the downside is that until my body acclimates, my dogs are going to be killing me.

munga
Member # 6006

advice- get a spongy mat to help with joint and foot pain.
scifibum
Member # 945

Now I want to work from a recumbent bicycle that powers my NIC.
Lina Inverse
Member # 6361

- posted      Profile for Lina Inverse   Email Lina Inverse       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a cool plan! Tell us how it goes.

BTW, if you get tired of it, you could get one of those big bouncy balls to sit on while you're at home; I don't know how much they do for weight loss, but they're supposed to help with muscle definition.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the bouncy ball. It's fabulous.

Also, wear Earth Shoes.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

Munga,

That's a good idea. [Smile]

scifi,

You want a recumbent bicycle to power your network card?

lina/Ops,

How does just sitting on the bouncy ball help any more with muscle definition or weight loss than sitting on, say, a stool would? I've seen them used for various exercises, but that wouldn't be just sitting on it.

Ops,

Right now I'm wearing fairly decent running shoes, so hopefully they'll provide the support and cushioning I need. I like munga's suggestion, though, because I don't really dig on wearing shoes all the time.

KnightEnder
unregistered

At the gym last night there was a woman on one of those bouncy balls. I would have killed to be that bouncy ball. I don't know if it helped her but my muscle tone increased immediately. [Smile]

Unfortunately she was the one hot woman on the weight room floor, all the other are in the balconies riding treadmills and bikes and I'm stuck on the floor with the steroid freaks.

I mean, I can understand wanting to be that big if you have a reason, like hitting a ball I country mile, but just for the sake of "looking" at yourself in the mirror. I was faintly nauseated and will start going later to avoid the pose off.

Don't women prefer a swimmer type build to the Hulk? And isn't that why we lift weights other than for health purposes?

That said I know it can get addicting to watch you muscles grow, but somebody needs to get these guys to an intervention. All my softball buddies looked like that but they did it for a reason. And got payed for it.

KE

[ November 18, 2008, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  76  77  78   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page