Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2 (Page 35)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  ...  76  77  78   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck to you, Scifi. I had found myself drinking quite heavily (for me, which was one-two vodka tonics or straight shots a night), coming home from work thinking about my first drink. Then, inexplicably, in early January, I lost my taste for it. Would pour one and wouldn't be able to finish it.

I quit cigarettes that way, too. Didn't smoke a lot, but just quit smoking.

Lucky -- both parents heavy smokers and mom's pretty much a functional alcoholic, at least by some definitions.

Anyway, I'm rooting for you. Not, obviously b/c I have any problems about people drinking (although, Tommysama, I have to say I cringed throughout each of your 21st bd posts), but because I think being an alcoholic and knowing I could never have a drink again would make me sad (but not as sad as being a drunk would make me!).

Woo hoo, keep on running!

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks cperry. [Smile]
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've gone like a week without drinking, and my wife buys me a 24 oz can of beer as a little present. LOL.

This isn't enough to get me tipsy (weak beer), and I sit there thinking about whether to drink it because I know it'll just frustrate me because I won't be drunk when I'm done drinking it. In my mind the options are:

1) Leave it sitting there
2) Go out and get more alcohol so I can actually enjoy it
3) Drink it and be annoyed that I can't do #2.

There's no 4) Enjoy 24 oz of beer. (which is the whole problem, I think)

I went with #3, but I think I'm going to have to explain to my wife that I really probably need to quit drinking altogether for an extended period of time.

I used the treadmill 5 out of the last 6 nights. I don't feel like a new man yet but that's more exercise than I got in the preceding two months, so that's something.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TommySama:
KE, first two on the top left. I don't take a lot of pictures, and that was apparently all I actually managed to get that night. As you can clearly see, I do not remember either of those pictures

Tommy, is that before and after? [Smile]

(I just got to see them because our network blocks them out at work.) Glad you had fun.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenga Pistol: the peak of human technology.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

quote:
Saying "lol they're all in denial" is not very compelling.
Maybe not compelling, but it's true.

KE

Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
scifi, that's almost funny.

Your wife is totally sweet.

Why not give the beer back, and take her out to a delicious something? I love going out for salad and soup with my honey. We read to each other while we munch.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

Tonight we're going out for our anniversary. Splurging on a four star meal. Slacks and skirt. (Me and her, respectively, in case you wonder.)

And yes, she's totally sweet, but not at all saccharine. Her numerous sincere daily kindnesses are pretty much the validation on my parking ticket.

KnightEnder
unregistered

And if you find that she eases your mind better take her home. Don't you live alone. Try to find what lovers own.

Congratulations, Sci.

KE

Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's killing me that I can't place that quote, KE
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Physicists think the universe began about 13 billion years ago with the Big Bang. Over billions of years all the randomness and chaos collected into smaller, more complex systems, like galaxies filled with stars, black holes, and all sorts of stuff I don't know much about. Only in the last 4-5 billion years ago did our solar system form. A tiny, complex system of planets, one of which somehow sparked some matter to form into an even smaller, more complex thing we call life. After 2 or 3 billion years humans formed out of this life, with highly complex minds. After only 100,000 years on Earth, we have created computers, which are still not quite as impressive as life is.

How long will that last?

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kuato
Member # 6445

quote:
Physicists think the universe began about 13 billion years ago with the Big Bang. Over billions of years all the randomness and chaos collected into smaller, more complex systems, like galaxies filled with stars, black holes, and all sorts of stuff I don't know much about. Only in the last 4-5 billion years ago did our solar system form. A tiny, complex system of planets, one of which somehow sparked some matter to form into an even smaller, more complex thing we call life. After 2 or 3 billion years humans formed out of this life, with highly complex minds. After only 100,000 years on Earth, we have created computers, which are still not quite as impressive as life is.

they'll think something else, tomorrow
KnightEnder
unregistered

And in the morning when I rise...
Bring a tear of joy to my eyes...
And tell me everything is gonna be all right...

KE

Lina Inverse
Member # 6361

- posted      Profile for Lina Inverse   Email Lina Inverse       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Maybe not compelling, but it's true.

KE

Nah [Smile]
Posts: 457 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
COnsider the following lyrics not in just its compelling human emotional philosophy terms, but in terms of raw fundamental physics.

Gravity, for example. Subatomic particle bonding. Time/entropy's intractable arrow ('are we *there* yet? huh? are we there yet *now*?')

Even through the darkest phase
Be it thick or thin
Always someone marches brave
Here beneath my skin

Constant craving
Has always been

Maybe a great magnet pulls
All souls towards truth
Or maybe it is life itself
That feeds wisdom
To its youth

Constant craving
Has always been

Craving
Ah ha
Constant craving
Has always been

Constant craving
Has always been
Constant craving
Has always been

Craving
Ah ha
Constant craving
Has always been
Has always been
Has always been
Has always been
Has always been
Has always been

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just 'cuz I think it'll give KE a nice Sunday eve rideout groove:

Come and get it

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

How did you know? Did I say I was driving to San Antonio Sunday?

I left at Seven pm and didn't get back until four-thirty am. And I wasn't there long, the drive just seem to take forever. So I got no sleep last night didn't even try, and got here to work at six. I'm so tired I could sleep for a week if I didn't have a meeting in thirty minutes.

The bad thing is I didn't even need to go to San Antonio. When we got there me and my son drove up to the rent-a-car place and while I was talking on the phone John went in gave them the paperwork, signed the paperwork, and came back out. He could have just taken the car and turned it in himself. Of course if I hadn't drove all the way there some jerk would have insisted on seeing his ID and not let him turn it in.

At least I got to see my son for an hour or so.

KE

Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And if you find that she eases your mind better take her home. Don't you live alone. Try to find what lovers own.

Congratulations, Sci.

KE

Great song KE. I love Kenny Loggins. The last phrase that you quoted is actually "...try to earn what lovers own."

Love is hard work...

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you seen the video of Susan Roesgen, a CNN reporter, yelling at a guy at one of the tea parties, "What does this have to do with your taxes?"

Link.

She comes across as a typical condescending liberal, but the guy doesn't seem all there either.

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

Wow, Susan seems like a very objective "reporter." [Wink] I don't much regret not hearing the guy out, but sheesh...don't hold up a microphone if you don't want to hear what the guy has to say.

Saturday night I had "smoked kumquat soup" before the main course arrived. Exactly as weird tasting as it sounds. It was good, in a way that I wouldn't necessarily want to repeat. [Wink]

Kuato
Member # 6445

quote:
And in the morning when I rise...
Bring a tear of joy to my eyes...
And tell me everything is gonna be all right...

KE

ok, got it now.
jimskater
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for jimskater   Email jimskater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad day at work. Need to vent.

/rant mode on

Damned idiots. You're grown ****ing men. Man up and learn to interact like adults. Follow the written ****ing policies and quit calling each other ***holes. You're both threatening to file harassment complaints against each other because you were both having a bad day. Too ****ing bad, today I had to fire a friend that I've worked with for the past 3 years, I don't have time for your ****. Take your pissing contest outside, I'm sick of being the only one getting ****ing wet.

My HR techniques are about to involve a small, windowless room, your kneecaps and a sledge hammer.

Get over your ****ing selves.

/end rant

I feel better now.

[ April 21, 2009, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: jimskater ]

Posts: 805 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kuato
Member # 6445

ugh, I can sympthize with that one.
Kuato
Member # 6445

My small Mutants think this is hilarious.
Kuato
Member # 6445

I am finding myself with nervous energy today.

so, I'm talking all alone on the treads....

Kuato
Member # 6445

won't somebody feed a hungry mutant?
KnightEnder
unregistered

Sorry Kuato, I know how those days are. But every damn day there is a new peice of paperwork to do, and now I have to get my TWIC card or I can't go back to any plant on the Channel. I think this is profiling.

KE

Lina Inverse
Member # 6361

- posted      Profile for Lina Inverse   Email Lina Inverse       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a good time to obsessively play Tetris [Smile]
Posts: 457 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kuato
Member # 6445

*chews on my own stumpy fingers*

*wondering if stumpy-fingeredness is iatragenic*

Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kuato:

You lookin' to be a mutie lord, Kuato? [Smile]
Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sentences like these do not belong in Sci-Fi/Fantasy anthologies:

"He had almost been as much a place to her as a person; the lost domain, the land of heart's desire."

I mean, really. It's like they're trying to give me no choice but to go get ready to play my concert. The bastards.

Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kuato
Member # 6445

quote:
Originally posted by Chael:
quote:

Only Miles Vorkosigan pulled that off.
Chael
Member # 2436

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chael:
quote:

Only Miles Vorkosigan pulled that off.
But wasn't he trying to pave the way for others? [Smile]
Kuato
Member # 6445

SO TRUE!
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"
Anyway, I'm rooting for you. Not, obviously b/c I have any problems about people drinking (although, Tommysama, I have to say I cringed throughout each of your 21st bd posts), but because I think being an alcoholic and knowing I could never have a drink again would make me sad (but not as sad as being a drunk would make me!).
"

Hey, I didn't cringe at all. At least, I am told I didn't. Maybe a little vomiting... but I beat my friends by not dying like they were trying to get me to do... So nah nah nah-nah-nah!!!

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hey, I didn't cringe at all. At least, I am told I didn't. Maybe a little vomiting... but I beat my friends by not dying like they were trying to get me to do... So nah nah nah-nah-nah!!!

Yeah, but did you blow corn kernels out of your nose?
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know what happened to Everard?
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

No, I just saw that he was unregistered. Didn't see anything leading up to that at all.

I sent an email, and if he replies and gives permission I'll share what I find out. (I haven't ever really befriended him or communicated outside of Hatrack/Ornery so someone else might have a better chance of finding out.)

RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE, I am so with you. When I lived in NYC, if a bar had cider on tap, I'd drink that. Why, again, must I suffer for my buzz? Why can't I drink something tasty?

I have, tho, developed a taste for some beers. My favorites, generally, are on the extremes: Pale summer brews like Wienstaphen and Hoegarden (or quality fruity brews like your Belgian kriek beers), or on the other hand - the black creamy stuff. My favorite drink at a bar is a black velvet (poor man's usually, real thing if I can afford it).

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I called Ev and left him a message. Hopefully I'll know something soon. Was he arguing with anybody lately?

KE

This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  ...  76  77  78   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page