Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2 (Page 41)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  76  77  78   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't actually live there though. If I was a nuisance she could make me leave. Otherwise I just try to buy as much food as possible considering i made 60$ a month last semester, and of course remain lovable and adorable... Which really comes naturally. ...

I biked over to St. Paul today to read in the neighborhood I spent most of my teens in. Every half hour or so a plane flies by only a few hundred feet overhead. From where I used to live they were even closer. New Yorkers are such wusses.

But, if someone hijacked a plane just as it arrived at the Humphrey or International Minneapolis terminals, it would be like a 2 minute flight into the Mall of America. But that doesn't stop is brave Minnesotans from going there ;-). (actually I don't go there. Full of super overweight mouthbreathers and underfed, underdressed preteens [prosti-tots] who scare me.)

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crap. Tommy, you live in Minneapolis? I was just there May 2-6. I really loved it, but I can't imagine what it would be like in the dead of winter. Do you go downtown much?
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blame It - Jamie Foxx- BARACK OBAMA SPOOF

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah [Frown] ! Downtown not so much in the past except to see movies, but if I get a job this summer I'll probably go to the bars every once in awhile [Wink] . Why were you here?

The cold doesn't bother me much, unless if it gets into the -20 windchills. But this week has been consistently in the 90's (went from 53 to 93 in one day and stayed there) and that bugs me too.

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shut up! You people have lakes! How can you not love 90 degree weather when water is so accessible?
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky,

Please believe me. There isn't a much more benighted place than Minnesota- the water on the ground is a reflection of the water in the air. The air is thick with bugs that exist to eat you. My SIL has to get into her van and leave the garage using her electronic opener and back out of the drive-way in order to pick up her mail-- it is the only way she can get it without being chased from her door to the box and back---- she can't run fast enough to outrun the bugs that bite and sting.

Minnesota is a horrid place to live and FEMA should move all the people to St. Louis.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So my two sons are 5 and 3. I took the 5 year old on a recent trip but not the 3 year old. Tomorrow I'm thinking of taking the 5 year old on a hike but not the 3 year old (he's too little and has an abnormally large head which contributes to a general tendency to fall down so the steep mountain trail just doesn't seem right yet)...and I can see that he's going to sense a pattern of getting left out.

Is the solution to do other things with *just* the 3 year old? Or is it better to include the 5 year old in those other things to minimize total exclusions?

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, scifibum. Please do some things with just the 5 year old and other things with just the 3 year old. Some of my fondest memories are of when my mom did some stuff just with me (trip to the library, ice cream cone at the ice cream shop). It doesn't have to take a long time or be a "significant" even to have a long and significant hold in a kid's memory. Kids aren't a package deal; they deserve individual ops with you.

(rant mode off. wow. that was weird. sorry)

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

Tommy, I was at a reading convention at the conv center. Spent time at the Brit Pub, Hell's Kitchen, a great Mexican place in Edina. Some other fab restaurants -- can't remember names now. My companion (a co-worker) knows good food. We rented a car and checked out the falls and the museums. I think we must have hit the best weather Mnpls has.
TommySama
Member # 2780

Target Center? I've never been to either of those restaurants, but I've heard good things about them. Perhaps when I have more than 120$ to my name I will check them out

"Shut up! You people have lakes! How can you not love 90 degree weather when water is so accessible?"

I suppose I don't have to worry about the people from the Burbs launching pipe bombs into the neighborhood, but my lips and hands got chapped and eyes dried out biking 6 miles despite having drank a half liter bottle of water along the way [Frown] . Though riding along the river I did manage to kill about a million gnats which conveniently landed in my eyes, teeth, throat, face, and pretty much everywhere else on my body. I still don't see what about having to drink a gallon of water in one day despite being in the shade with two fans blowing on you is attractive. KE will have to enlighten us?

[ May 22, 2009, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: TommySama ]

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cperry, that certainly didn't read like a rant. Your advice is welcome. [Smile] Now that you mention it, I do have some fond memories of 1:1 time with my dad. (Not so much with my mom; but my mom is a compulsive multitasker. She will combine ANY two or three activities that she can, including slicing watermelon IN THE CAR ON THE INTERSTATE.)

I might take #2 along on the hike tomorrow instead and just carry him. Or maybe not. But yeah...he deserves the 1:1 time.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh sheesh.

that does bring back memories.

I do believe that we saw George Bush during his second run for office at the Target Center.

This was back when I had an anti-Kerry sign on my lawn....

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

OMG! Bill Maher just said the funniest thing.

The Editor for Newsweek said he was a person of faith and asked Bill to be kind.

Bill said; I'm always kind, I'm just curious because you are so bright (A question I've been asking since I argued with my Aunt with a doctorate at Thanksgiving when I was twelve) how can you believe in the Jewish Zombie?!

I thought I'd heard them all, but that is great. [LOL]

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Scifi,

I agree with the advice given. And my youngest had a head like that. It was like he had a weight or a magnet in it and it would slam into doorknobs or anything else low enough to be slamable. And that was before the tables crushed his head and they turned him into a cyborg. [Smile]

Just make sure the time is split even. And some time with both of them is good too. Me and both my boys went and saw Star Trek the other day. (They are about the same age apart as yours but 16 & 19) Doing stuff with both of them is like a treat for me. And they are finally starting to be 'real' friends as well as brothers. I think they spent more time playing "online" while John was away at college than they did when he was here. So, the Internet and video games are not always a bad thing.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Did I tell y'all about the Jehovah's witness that came to my door yesterday? She was talking about the end of the world, blah blah blah. I interrupted and said "You seem like a very nice lady but I'm an atheist." And she said; "Oh, then you should be glad that the end of the world is coming!" WTF does that mean? I haven't read the literature she read yet so I really don't know WTF she meant but it just struck me as rude. "Yeah, I believe nothing comes next. Can't wait to get there!" [Frown]

KE

[ May 23, 2009, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeking a way to make archiving Ornery less tedious, I decided to use a new-vastly improved spider.

So after a couple of abortive partial captures of Ornery last night, I finally perfected most of the filters and have methodically captured 56208 Ornery url's so far. Meaning I should have literally every post still existing on Ornery safely archived into a new offline version in about another 10 hours time.

Of course this will mean my other backup of Ornery I have captured over the years will become superfluous. But it also means I can index and search it better than ever. Meaning I will be able to reliably capture everything Richard and Stray ever wrote into two neat files should anyone care.

So if you got a blank message from me in the last 18 hours or so it was due to an errant filter not being set when I first started the spider. I'm really hoping you didn't but by the time I caught the error it had already gone through and clicked the links to message half the entire membership of Ornery registered users. I don't think it actually initiated the "send" url- but you never know. If it di though, I would expect a lot of members with registration numbers under 2000 showing up again.

So any way.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTG on the initiative, Red.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

Wow, cool stuff, Redskullvw. Thanks. You do this just for fun?

[ May 23, 2009, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: cperry ]

cperry
Member # 1938

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
cperry, that certainly didn't read like a rant. Your advice is welcome. [Smile] Now that you mention it, I do have some fond memories of 1:1 time with my dad. (Not so much with my mom; but my mom is a compulsive multitasker. She will combine ANY two or three activities that she can, including slicing watermelon IN THE CAR ON THE INTERSTATE.)

I might take #2 along on the hike tomorrow instead and just carry him. Or maybe not. But yeah...he deserves the 1:1 time.

It felt rant-like, though not hostile, when I was writing. Guess I was just passtionate. Recognizing, also, that I'm parenting a 4-year-old who is basically a singleton AND was a first-born, so I didn't get that "left out" feeling as much as my sister must have. (In my defense, however, she was very ill as a newborn-3 year old, so I was "neglected" more than some eldest kids are.) Anyway, 1:1 time is special, thus memorable. [Smile]
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red, that sounds awesome!

But... wasn't that Sky fellow Richard? He sounded very much like Richard... or is he gone now too?

I'm confused, and I'm out of the loop. What happened in regards to that, anyway?

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because the sun is shining and because I can I post the oldie but goodie Umberto Tozzi - Gloria

Not sure what he’s sing about as I never studied Spanish Semaphore or perhaps the Semaphore is Italian. Anyway it just makes me happy.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I usually don't care much about the Olympics but watching the 2000 Olympics on HBO I've got tears in my eyes. Even from the Equestrian event!

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Watching Gabriela Szabo of Romania in the final stretch of the Women's 5000m, if you've ever ran track or competed at anything in which you had to will your body to do more than it wants to, to fight past the pain, you can see her do just that. TWICE the taller lanky dark haired O'Sullivan of Ireland makes her move and pulls even with the tiny blond Szabo, and TWICE you can see Szabo just refuse to lose. Willing herself ahead of O'Sullivan and across the finish line. It was awe inspiring.

KE

[ May 24, 2009, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

It is also amazing to watch the crowds stand and cheer for people from every country, even, in some cases, after hey have just beaten the home-town champion.

It gives one hope that one day the world can learn to live together.

Oops! Sorry I forgot that a one-world nation is bad.

KE

cperry
Member # 1938

quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Watching Gabriela Szabo of Romania in the final stretch of the Women's 5000m, if you've ever ran track or competed at anything in which you had to will your body to do more than it wants to, to fight past the pain, you can see her do just that. TWICE the taller lanky dark haired O'Sullivan of Ireland makes her move and pulls even with the tiny blond Szabo, and TWICE you can see Szabo just refuse to lose. Willing herself ahead of O'Sullivan and across the finish line. It was awe inspiring.

KE

That's why I adore track and field. You can SO see the pain, struggle, push past limits, edge of endurance on the runners' faces, etc. It's my favorite.
cperry
Member # 1938

Alas, I can't run for anything. It makes me sad.
TommySama
Member # 2780

Obviously not. You wouldn't like it so much if you were one of those runners >.<
KnightEnder
unregistered

Tommy,

What about the "runners high"? I've always wanted to try that but I've found the pain-pill addict high is much easier to achieve. [Smile]

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Playing poker tonight I ran into a guy that I used to pal around with twenty years ago and it turns out he is a big wheel at Lyondell Chemicals my biggest account.

I lost almost two hundred dollars in the first ten minutes and spent the next five hours getting it back. I ended up a hundred ahead, but it would have been much more and much easier if I hadn't dug myself a hole early on.

Oh well, it was a good bunch of people and I had a good time even if I did have to tighten up and grind it out for most of the night. Unlike what you see in the movies in real poker games there is usually a bunch of chit chat and laughter throughout the night. Depending on the people of course. Tonight I was fortunate to sit down with nine interesting fun people. Unfortunately 7 of them were really good poker players. Not as good as me, but not pushovers either. [Smile]

KE

Kuato
Member # 6445

Well, you couldn't leave, you had to redeem yourself or Lyondell would have your ass at least figurtively. Glad you prevailed.
KnightEnder
unregistered

Yeah, sometimes breaking even is winning. [Smile]

KE

Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Watching Gabriela Szabo of Romania in the final stretch of the Women's 5000m

Gabriela Szabo is so hot, isn't she? [Smile]
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Tatiana, the pole-vaulter from Australia (immigrated from Russia) is so hot she should be in Playboy or modeling or something. Or she was in 2000 anyway. [Smile]

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

I like my job and I LOVE how much it pays, and I get along great with everybody but this one guy. I've tried to be as nice to him as possible, but nothing works. The other day my allergies were killing me and I was sniffling and trying to breathe and he say "Hey John you need to blow your nose or something?" I said no thanks, but later I thought about it and I ran into him coming out of the bathroom and ask him; "Hey Mario, were you offering me a tissue earlier?" And he said; "No, I don't have any tissue." So I said; "So, you just wanted me to blow my nose because it was bugging you?" And he says "Yeah."

Since then ever time we have an exchange he talks to me like I'm an idiot. I don't get it. I'm the only guy here that is nice or respectful to him. Everyone else calls him Stumpy or Wetback or any number of names and he is just as sweet as pie to them?!!

The worst thing is the way things are now his office is catty-corner to mine and we have to look at each other all day, and he passes my desk about twenty times a day. I really really want to kick his ass or at least tell him where to go, but he's been here 35 years (he's probably fifty something) and I'm sure if I say anything or make to big an issue of what a dick he is I'll be the one they let go.

A new office has opened up down the hall and I asked to move to it about two weeks ago. They said something about the intranet not working and they were going to get it fixed but I haven't heard anything else about it. Guess I should ask. At least that way I wouldn't have to look at him all day.

Maybe he'll retire soon. Please God.

KE

[ May 26, 2009, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

jimskater
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for jimskater   Email jimskater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back from England. Had an amazing time. Unfortunately, the banns are off. They've been thrown off track by a group of funny girls.

Met Jordan, Jamie & Jordan's mum. They're lovely people, two of whom probably weren't quite ready for me coming "all over gay."

Posts: 805 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Coming all over who? Or what?

KE

jimskater
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for jimskater   Email jimskater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just myself.

er...

Let's just say my attitude was inspired by the show.

[Eek!]

Posts: 805 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJQuag
Member # 3582

- posted      Profile for DJQuag   Email DJQuag       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For people complaining about the weather in MN, we just got off of a new record of fourteen straight days of 100+ in Phoenix. The record being that we're still in May. [Frown]

And yes, for now, it's a dry heat, but that really doesn't mean much when it hits 115. Not to mention that around the middle of July the monsoon season starts and it's dry no longer. [Smile]

[ May 26, 2009, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: DJQuag ]

Posts: 476 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

Had a car accident, kind of, yesterday. Nobody was hurt. I was at a service station checking air pressure in our van's tires, and suddenly the valve was jerked out of my grip...a moment later I realized that another car had backed into our van. He must have been going only a meter per second or so...the cars just kind of bounced. Neither car seemed damaged, aside from some VERY slight scuffing on the bumper. The guy was apologetic, I didn't think there was any harm done, and my wife and kids inside the van showed no signs of trauma, so I just told the guy I thought it was OK and shrugged it off. Finished checking the tires while he drove away (no doubt slightly more alert now).

When I got back in the van I found out my wife was FURIOUS. "How hard is it to pay attention!?!" was her refrain. She later fact-checked my claim that there was no damage, and attributed a years-old dent to the guy which I had to gently contradict.

I'm sort of glad it happened. I backed into a trailer at a gas station once and the owner cheerfully sent me on my way and forgave the damage to his trailer. I owed one back. (Still do, since in this case there was no damage to waiver.)

I remembered later, though, that some people say that damage from whiplash might not be apparent right away. Maybe I should have gotten the guy's information at the very least? But still, from a 3 MPH collision, I couldn't imagine any of us were actually hurt. The kids crash into each other with a greater relative speed on a nearly daily basis.

DJQuag
Member # 3582

- posted      Profile for DJQuag   Email DJQuag       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was as slow as you say it was, I doubt you've anything to worry about.
Posts: 476 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  76  77  78   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page