Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2 (Page 43)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  76  77  78   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel kind of a jerk now for interrupting the really important conversations… But since I haven't said anything yet about it, I just want to say how fantastically cool it was to meet Jim, if briefly. He's just as fun as you'd think and 1.3 times as cute!

He also kindly reassured my mother that although we met online, it wasn't on "ManHunt.com" or anything. You might have guessed, but the two who weren't quite prepared for him to camp it up so much were actually Jamie and me; if anything, my mother was egging him on!

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the consistency is tough. Esp when kids don't understand the subtle distinctions that seem to make sense to us. But telling kids your expectations before going into any situation is just fair, you know? That's what we want, isn't it?

Hubby: We're going to a party at work.
Self: Okay. What do I need to wear?

I'd be really irritated if he told me AFTER we got there, "Oh yeah, it's semi-formal." Yet we do that to kids all the time; we know what the rules/expectations are, but they don't.

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds as if it was fun, Jordan.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Pace
Member # 1493

- posted      Profile for D Pace   Email D Pace       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE-

With the broad disclaimer that I am not licensed to practice law in Texas (which means that I should stfu from here forward)
my understanding is that under Texas law:

1) alimony is capped at three years, regardless of fault, and

2) property will be divided evenly in a divorce, (meaning that if that were applied and one party got the house, the other would be entitled to half the equity.) Payments for the house usually fall under alimony.

Anyway, my general understanding is that it's great to be a man in Tezas. [Frown]

You should go talk to a Texas attorney for a free overview. Divorce laws are very different from state to state, (especially for say, Texas or California).

Posts: 376 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i remember a time when ornery went to bed around 9-10 p.m. and didnt wake up till 10 a.m. the next morning. now it seems there are people posting all night long. i hope thats not just a weekend thing.

KE. you know my advice about the whole divorce thing. take care of yourself.

i gotta ask though. does she pamper you the same way you pamper her? in my experience, putting someone on a pedastal doesn't endear you to them any more. usually, it just makes them more self absorbed.

excuse me if i'm assuming too much here. the impression that i get is that stacy seems to be kind of rudderless right now. its like she's going through the motions and not really looking forward to anything short of the next step in her routine. if you've already tried a vacation to someplace exotic, maybe she could use some new challenges. i don't mean challenges that you do together either. i fully believe that you live up to the knight part of your name in every way you can. that might be part of the problem, if you make everything too easy for her, things will get boring faster.

as usual, i could be completely off base. i was just throwing out ideas. my apologies if i've overstepped.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimskater
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for jimskater   Email jimskater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
I feel kind of a jerk now for interrupting the really important conversations… But since I haven't said anything yet about it, I just want to say how fantastically cool it was to meet Jim, if briefly. He's just as fun as you'd think and 1.3 times as cute!

He also kindly reassured my mother that although we met online, it wasn't on "ManHunt.com" or anything. You might have guessed, but the two who weren't quite prepared for him to camp it up so much were actually Jamie and me; if anything, my mother was egging him on!

We were at a drag show, you expected me not to camp it up? [Razz]

The scary part was that everyone at the table new exactly what manhunt.com was. [Eek!]

I had a great time, too. Even if I read too much significance into the show. Would have loved to have spent more time with you.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next time you folks plan to get together at a drag show let me know. I'll phone in my credit card number to buy three or four rounds. All I ask is for someone to document the gathering on video and send me the evidence. (I'd fly in to observe if I could afford it. [Wink] )
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scifi, careful what you wish for. Precious few of us have seen our father in a French maids outfit

http://www.americablog.com/2009/05/obama-nominates-jesus-christ-for.html

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's "our father" not "Our Father" right Tommy?

I actually wanted the camera pointed to Ornerians and their fellow attendees, not the performance. Still, it probably IS risky. Some things you can't unsee.

I used to kind of frown at your drinking, Tommy, but in light of this I think you probably had no other option.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

I think my favorite show ever is the drag show I saw in Savannah, when we were just lucky enough to be there when Lady Chablis (Chardonnay, Merlot -- good golly, I cannot remember her name!) happened to be in town (usually she only performs in Charleston, SC these days).

Anyway, it made me want to love being a woman as much as those guys seemed to enjoy it. What a great night!

Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*is feeling badly used*

all that body glitter, and no where to go

*****WHAAAA****

glad you folks had a great time!

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

Just take and post some pictures, Kuato. We'll all hoot respectfully.

(How much body glitter does it take though? Unless you did your host organism too.)

tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on that note.
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

never mind. i was gonna bump the old picture thread, but i cant find it.
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Bolton was just the best panelist Bill Maher has ever had, AND Bill "let him talk." Can you imagine any right-wing talkshow host that would have done that?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

For Bolton? Yes. For Maher? Not so much.
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ricky, I gotta question -
What is the general Jewish position on infant baptism into Christianity?

(Obviously this question can as well be answered by any of the other Resident Experts, but I don't recall seeing any around so recently.)

What I mean is, if a baby who is kind of otherwise Jewish gets baptized, how big of a problem is that likely to be in the future in terms of ritual uncleanliness or whatever?

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

quote:

Obamas' Date Night in New York City Draws Criticism

Even before the Obamas left Washington, the there-and-back trip drew criticism from Republicans who questioned the president's decision to travel to New York for a night of entertainment during a recession and while automakers struggle to survive.

AP

His public schedule listed no official events, so President Obama had plenty of time to devote to being a weekend dad and spouse.

The president and first lady Michelle Obama watched daughter Malia's soccer game for an hour Saturday morning in the Palisades neighborhood, a short drive from the White House.

For the evening, the first couple jetted to New York City for date night. A Broadway show and probably dinner were on tap.

The White House refused to say how much the trip was costing taxpayers.

Even before the Obamas left Washington, the there-and-back trip drew criticism from Republicans. They questioned the president's decision to travel to New York for a night of entertainment during a recession and while automakers struggle to survive.

It was just a few months ago that auto executives were roundly criticized when they traveled to Washington for congressional hearings in pricey private planes.

The Republican National Committee issued a news release that chastised Obama for saying he understands American's troubles, but then hopping up to New York for "a night on the town."

Noting that General Motors is expected to file for Chapter 11 protection on Monday, the news release said: "Putting on a show: Obamas wing into the city for an evening out while another iconic American company prepares for bankruptcy."

If the Obamas wanted to catch a show closer to the White House, they had some choices in Washington: Tom Stoppard's "Arcadia" at the Folger Elizabethan Theatre; Valerie Harper in "Looped" at the Lincoln Theatre; "Rent," at the Warner Theatre; Noel Coward's "Design for Living" at the Shakespeare Theatre Company; or Stoppard's "Rock 'n' Roll" at the Studio Theatre.

Reporters weren't allowed to see the soccer game. And there weren't advance details on what the Obamas would see in Manhattan. But the Obamas took a smaller plane than the jumbo jet he usually uses. White House staff and reporters flew in two similar aircraft.

"Hi, guys," Obama said to reporters and visitors gathered at the White House as he and Michelle left for their night out. Both were decked out: She wore her hair up, heels and a sleeveless black ruffled dress that fell below the knee while he went tieless in a dark suit and white shirt.

Daughter Sasha draped herself over the railing of the White House's top balcony, waving and calling out to her parents as they boarded Marine One for the quick flight to the plane at Andrews Air Force Base that would carrying the couple to New York.

A White House spokesman, Josh Earnest, said the smaller planes were used because fewer aides traveled with the presidents and the planes were more efficient than the big jet.

In an interview before his inauguration, Barack Obama said he and his wife liked having date nights, usually on Fridays. Since the moving to Washington, the Obamas have managed to fit in at least a couple nights out in the nation's capital.

Earlier in May, the two dined for nearly two hours at a Georgetown restaurant before taking an 8-minute stroll around the White House grounds. They've watched an Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater performance at the Kennedy Center and celebrated Mrs. Obama's birthday with friends at Equinox, a white-tablecloth restaurant near the White House.

While on a trip to New York last week, Michelle Obama was reminded about the couple's first date.

"You know, after 20-some-odd years of knowing a guy, you forget that your first date was at a museum," she said. "But it was, and it was obviously wonderful. It worked."

Dude, these guys need to get a life.

And did you read the part were he wore a suit without a tie? That just proves he's in Ahmadinejad's pocket. It's more revealing than the "terrorist fist bump"!

KE

Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Playing the computer game Hearts of Iron: Doomsday. So I had bought it just before the fire and just got a replacement software key, after a frigging year of back and forth emails with the software company. Good game worth the effort.

Anyway I'm chugging along as Germany in a rather unique alternative history. IE I honored the Munich Pact, didn't annex Memel, waited several years beyond the real date for occipying the Saar again etc. In short I was doing everything that I presupposed to be errors in the run up to the war, with an eye towards establishing only an eastern front against the Soviet Union, but having Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia as Allies.

So by late 1946, the war in Europe has yet to break out. The Allied powers have a Pacific war going, Africa has a few wars, and South America has a few wars. I have placed about 70 divisions into play, with the infrantry enjoying the late World War II equipment upgrades, my tanks are all now the equivalent of NATO tanks of the late 1970's. My Uboats are all the equivelent of 1950's models. Heck I even have the equivelent of moderner air craft carriers built. And yes I still built all five planned super battleships as well as the sharnhorst class crussiers.

In short, I had a Navy that Doenitz would have drooled over. My land armies were essentially all the equivelent of Waffen SS international units with full supplies. I even went so far as to internally fortify the entire nation and set up a fleet of turbojet/turbo prop airplanes.

So I have managed to keep the developments secret. SMERSH style liquidations of spies in Germany- so pretty much no other nation has been able to tell what the heck I have been up to. In late August 1946, I decide that it is time to expand the Axis powers to include more than just Germany. So I get Rumania, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Italy, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, Denmark, Sweden, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, and Finland all on board. Making the Axis powers the single largest peaceful alliance there is.

Then for some amazingly idiotic reason Italy agrees to ally with Japan against India- thereby triggering the entire English Empire to declare war on all the Axis nations.

France somehow had managed to station close to 200 divisions on its border with Belgium, and promptly annexed Belgium and swept into Germany proper. In a space of one month I have literally lost most of central Germany and despite having superior air land and sea forces, apparently France's tactic of employing the equivelent of 1918 draftees into its military and fighting as human waves totally unhinges any abilities my forces would otherwise have.

I just fid it interesting that in this particular alternate reality, the Axis powers are all behaving peacefully, yet all got attacked by democracies- that had secretely established HUGE land armies. Also amazing is that even though I kept the Eastern Europe republics intact and actually allied with them- proving I was afriend to the little guy, France swept through Belgium like a hot knife through butter.

Good game. Doubt I can salvage this particular campaign but, I think I might send my navy on a seahunt to eliminate every single scrap of French garbage on the open seas. I figure 20 Panzer divisions with King tigers and Leopard II tanks should be just enough to hold Berlin while I blockade France into starvation.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

i got a call from my brother about 5 minutes ago telling me that my grandmother, who had open heart surgery last week, just went into heart and kidney failure. i dont think i'm going to be able to get there in time.
scouser1
unregistered

You have to try. At least she'll know in her own way that you tried. I'm sorry sweetie.
scifibum
Member # 945

Sorry to hear that tony. I hope you get a chance to see her.
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think Sotomayor is sort of hot for her age? I do, but I had zero expectations for her. [Wink]
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I used to kind of frown at your drinking, Tommy, but in light of this I think you probably had no other option. "

What drinking?

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

quote:
Originally posted by TommySama:
"I used to kind of frown at your drinking, Tommy, but in light of this I think you probably had no other option. "

What drinking?

Uh, all of it that you've reported here. [Smile]
KnightEnder
unregistered

Narnia

If Aslan is God, who is Jesus? Thanks.

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

How do y'all think CS Lewis would have felt about factory farms and the way we treat animals today?

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Me and Jake were just listening to Polk Salad Annie by Elvis. If you haven't ever seen Elvis do his thing you are missing out. I wonder if there are clips on YouTube?

KE

scifibum
Member # 945

Make that "Pork Salad Annie" and it'd be a Primus title.

(I've made nearly the same post before. Probably a couple of years ago. Sorry.)

TommySama
Member # 2780

Jesus is God, dumb dumb
TommySama
Member # 2780

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
quote:
Originally posted by TommySama:

What drinking?

Uh, all of it that you've reported here. [Smile]
How could you disapprove of my responsible drinking?
scouser1
unregistered

KE, Elvis is in concert here in March of next year! (No, really. The real one. And who said the King was dead? [Big Grin] )

Oh ok so it's him on a big tv screen with a big live orchestra, same difference right? [Smile]

Edited to add: I love love love LOVED his comeback gig, so much so that I bought the special edition dvd boxset for my brother (a die hard Elvis fan) only for it to find its way onto my dvd shelf. Oops, wonder how that happened? [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Liked Lisa-Marie (my namesake, my brother's fault, naturally) singing Don't Cry Daddy live with Elvis on the big screen too singing with him and Lisa crying at the end, so emotional! [Crying]

[ June 01, 2009, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: scouser1 ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

Tommy, it's "dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb". [Smile]

There's that one Primus song that I really really like. Can't remember the title. "Going the Distance" maybe?

"No Elvis is not dead he just went home." [Smile]

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Are you talking about the 1969 Black Leather Elvis? That was awesome. But all the Elvis's were awesome.

Young Elvis

Black Leather Elvis

Hawaii Elvis

And even Late Vegas "Hunk a Hunk a Burnin Love" Elvis [Smile]

I remember my dad letting us stay up late to watch Elvis Live from Hawaii. Hound Dog was my favorite back then. I think Heartbreak Hotel is now.

KE

scouser1
unregistered

Jailhouse Rock was amazing. I remember watchin him in that video and thinkin' "OMG, he is the King!"
His whole vocal range and style of singing just totally changed from his usual dark low notes.

And apart from liking the usual suspects such as In the Ghetto, Burning Love, Trouble and the mindblowingly fantastic An American Trilogy, one of my favourites has to be in his whole gospel era when he sung the main song from the musical Carousel, which is now my football team's anthem, You'll Never Walk Alone. The power he has in that song as a gospel song alone just melts me totally.
And he was gorgeous to boot [Big Grin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq8dQ2U6Lts

scouser1
unregistered

If anyone is following the story on the missing plane over the Atlantic story...

Not that there was any chance that there would be anyone still alive, but debris including plane seats have been found floating in the ocean.
228 men, women and children are dead, making it the biggest loss in Air France's 76 year history. Officials say they may never know what actually happened to the plane unless they can recover the black box from the bottom of the ocean.
It is a sad day.

tonylovern
Member # 2580

that seems odd to me. a french airplane, leaving rio,reported by a u.k. newspaper, and they feel the fact that the engines were made in america is a pertinent detail. no wonder we're so egocentric.
scouser1
unregistered

They simply dont have a clue what happened. They dont know if it was the engines, turbulant weather, struck by lightening, they dont know. The only thing they have ruled out is that it wasent a terrorist attack or hijack. No mayday message from the plane. Just an automated message telling conrol that they had an electrical fault that they dont think would cause the plane to dive. The plane had had full checks and was passed for flight. It was just a routine flight. And now 228 people are dead with hundreds of families not having a clue as to how their loved ones died.
scifibum
Member # 945

quote:
they feel the fact that the engines were made in america is a pertinent detail
I admit I would probably have a different immediate reaction if an American-made plane went down rather than a French-made plane...as in more surprise. *ashamed* (I can't and won't defend that, it's just a dumb prejudice.)

I think it might be possible the writer was conscious of prejudice about French industry and intended to head off speculation that the plane failure was related to it being from France.

Or something. Finger pointing will happen so this might be an attempt to roughly orient the pointers with regard to geography.

scouser1
unregistered

Until the black box is recovered, if it ever can be, we wont know the cause. Until then its all just speculation and round guesses, even by the experts.
  This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  76  77  78   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page