Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2 (Page 53)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  ...  76  77  78   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tommy, I think you misunderstand; the dispute isn't about who does the dishes, it's about which is the better way to load the dishwasher.

You'll get there. Don't worry.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. Well, we don't have a dishwasher so it may be awhile still. I'd probably have to defer to her expertise, since we didn't have fancy things like "dishwashers" or "food" available my entire life [Wink] .
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone is ever bored you should check out this blog.
I've re-discovered it as I used to be on it all the time when I was in secondary school (ooh am such a rebel ha ha [Razz] )
As you all know by now I love silly pictures and random stuff that wouldn't be funny to the rest of the world, so if you're like me (God forbid) it's fun fun fun! [Big Grin]

http://amazingillusions.blogspot.com/

And i'm as excited as a turkey on Boxing Day for tomorrow because i'm going to see the musical version of Beauty and the Beast! [Big Grin]
Don't normally like musicals but i'll make an exception for this [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To explain the metaphor relating to the odd customs of barbarians across the sea,
quote:
Many people in England eat turkey at Christmas. This is a new tradition – if you understand what I mean. Fifty years ago, it was unusual to eat turkey, and it was difficult to find turkey in the shops. People ate chicken or goose at Christmas. But nowdays, most people eat turkey on Christmas Day. And because turkeys are big birds, they also eat cold turkey on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas) and for about a week afterwards as well, until they become fed up with turkey and never want to eat or see another turkey ever again – until next Christmas, of course.
http://www.listen-to-english.com/index.php?id=349

But I am sorry to hear the English goose has gone out of fashion. However as Tiny Tim remarked, "God bless us—every one!" That blessing probably works just as well over a turkey.

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right before he shoved a turkey leg into his greedy, crippled face [Frown]
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw an American made for TV film (no excuses) that was a modern update on Dickens’ A Christmas Carol. The only way they could save the life of Tiny Tim was to make Bob Cratchit a Vice President of the Company with the best Health Insurance money could buy. The Producers apparently thought this was a happy ending. I’ll stick with the Barbarians.

Definitely not a turkey, I hope, is the fastest kettle in the World.

quote:
Final preparations are being carried out by a Hampshire-based team in its bid to break the world land speed record for steam-powered vehicles.
Dubbed the "fastest kettle in the world", the car aims to reach 170mph (274km/h) at Edwards Air Force base, California, over the next four days.
Built in Lymington, the team's car will attempt to beat the current record of 127mph (206km/h) set in 1906.
The three-tonne vehicle will be driven by main financer Charles Burnett III.

BBC

That’s the original Hampshire and Charles Burnett III was born in Britain and has US, UK and Canadian citizenship if you were wondering.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

OBAMA IS LITERALLY HITLER
scouser1
unregistered

[LOL] hobsen, has that just come to mind when I put that saying up? [Razz]
I have chicken anyway, cold tastless chicken, thats when you know it is truly the spirit of christmas in our house!
"God bless us, everyone!" Indeed! [Big Grin]

hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have always regretted never tasting a traditional Christmas goose. And it seemed some on Ornery might be puzzled by the mention of Boxing Day, while sticking a pin into Athelstan is always rewarding. But that steam car sounds fascinating, and I wish the team well on its record attempt.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimskater
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for jimskater   Email jimskater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TommySama:
OBAMA IS LITERALLY HITLER

The caption on the photos that are currently at the bottom of the first page:

"You know who else met muslin leaders?"

Members of the ILGWU?

Posts: 805 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hobsen
quote:
For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

Nice one, Athelstan. Eliza Bennett I think, anyway Pride and Prejudice. A very funny book. No, it turns out that was Mr. Bennett:
quote:
"But, Lizzy, you look as if you did not enjoy it. You are not going to be missish, I hope, and pretend to be affronted at an idle report. For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?"
He was reading to her Mr. Collins' letter falsely reporting her engagement to Darcy, which she desperately wants but has not yet attained, while he believes she dislikes Darcy. A pin indeed.
TommySama
Member # 2780

Election, through interpretive Pokemon Gameboy Blue game
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People on the internet argue using the same tactics as the letter and pamphlet writers did in the 18th century. I'm not sure whether to be amused, reassured, depressed, or some combination thereof.
Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

An apt comparison, NobleHunter.
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, it just means that humans haven't really changed at all.

We just have more exposure to em, thanks to easier communication technology.

Thus, we realize what twits most of em are much more easily.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I haven't been on Ornery in ages (and I think the last time was pretty much a post and run). I just checked an old e-mail account and realized... that was where all my Ornery PM's were sent to.

So if you sent me a PM over the course of the past two years, I apologize for never responding. I am now caught up, although I don't think I will return to those old threads. And if one of those PMs happened to be an apology I never responded to, very gallant of you, and thanks.

I will try to at least lurk more regularly henceforth.

-Edited for abuse of smiley icons.

[ August 25, 2009, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: OceanRunner ]

Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

Nice to have you visit. And thanks for reminding me to check my own email, which had messages more than two weeks old. Many people get unpleasantly surprised that way.
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I've only received one or two emails stemming from Ornery conversations ever. In two years I would probably have missed...1 or zero emails. I wonder why that is.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of my traffic came from people wishing me well in Iraq and offering help (thanks, btw!) or taking something that I got snitty about offline. [Razz] Perhaps you just never get snitty, hence no real need for PMs?
Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That makes sense!
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7898 posts on the original Miscellaneous Chat thread, and this will be 2101 on Part 2. So . . . this is everyone's big chance. Hurry now and you can be the 10,000th miscellaneous post!

Unless, of course, someone has posted while I'm typing this, and the honor goes to me.

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10K beyatches.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have to admit that was a bit of lucky timing on my part...normally only drop in once a day.
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

http://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html
hobsen
Member # 2923

Nice one, Tommy. The following is concise:
quote:
That's one of the ingenious things about the big-time religions, by the way. The old religious writers knew it was easier to put the screws to a stranger, so they taught us to get a personal idea of a God in our heads who says, "No matter who you hurt, you're really hurting me. Also, I can crush you like a grape."
Robert Burns remarked such sentiments could be improved for an ideal character, but are perhaps better than having no qualms about hurting others at all.
quote:
The fear o’ hell ’s a hangman’s whip
To haud the wretch in order;
But where ye feel your honour grip,
Let that aye be your border.

ATTRIBUTION: Epistle to a Young Friend.

TommySama
Member # 2780

That's misleading, the article wasn't talking about religion, it just mentioned it.
hobsen
Member # 2923

True, it was a passing remark. But it expressed one theory of why religions came to be in 62 words, and I have an interest in such theories.
IrishTD
Member # 2216

Oh, and welcome back OR.
scouser1
unregistered

If anyone on here has twitter, its my new obsession [Big Grin]

So come follow me [Smile] www.twitter.com/laffirecracker

Edited: totally mashed up the word follow [LOL]

[ August 29, 2009, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: scouser1 ]

Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OceanRunner:

Most of my traffic came from people wishing me well in Iraq and offering help (thanks, btw!) or taking something that I got snitty about offline. [Razz] Perhaps you just never get snitty, hence no real need for PMs?

So, are you still in Iraq?

Ever see someone do something like this over there? >_>

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"He knows people disagree, he is unlikely to change his own views, and saying the same or closely similar things more than once adds nothing."

Can you prove this allegation with carefully worded dispassionate reasoning? I invite you to examine the nearly infinite arrogance and potentially boundless ignorance you express here.

It's like civics class taught by SNL's The Church Lady. Casting moral aspersions like this is enough to switch swine from a diet of pearls to gravel.

I'll give you an idea of the value of such a thread: look at G2's response and see what it reveals about him. Observe in contrast how Ron Lambert, being a devout and sincere Xtian, stays away. He may be a religious crackpot but he's a good egg.

Anyway, there are no hominems here, only words. Perhaps the chief value in remote, non-vocal discursive fora like Ornery is that there really is no room for a person's ego. Attempts by us to intrude our egos and social prides only gets in the way of communicating ideas, but attempts to hobble those egos and prides get in the way even more.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
scouse: that is the *cutest* photo of you!

Where were you when I was young, single, and virile!?!

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

http://www.secularism.org.uk/113418.html
scouser1
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:
scouse: that is the *cutest* photo of you!

Where were you when I was young, single, and virile!?!

Errr, not born?? [Razz] just kiddin [Big Grin]

Why thank you KL, I put that up cos I had literally just had my hair chopped, the ends were dead and I wanted somethin completely different.
I totally love it and its so much more manageable, and wont cost me a whole fortune in hair dye [Razz]

Edited to add: I missed ya KL, drop me an email sometime would ya! [Smile]

[ September 01, 2009, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: scouser1 ]

TommySama
Member # 2780

"Edited to add: I missed ya KL, drop me an email sometime would ya! [Smile]"

Watch out - he's got the Herp. Once you pop, the fun don't stop!

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Herpes Trimestigus, that's me.

Actually, I suffer of late of disinterested libido.

Just got tired of trying to screw through all that blood and, lately, a really messed up back.

Goil's gotta be *cute* to get me to whistle.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"Errr, not born?? [Razz] just kiddin [Big Grin]"

Quite likely true. Or close enough. I got married when I was 32. I suspect you weren't here yet.

scouser1
unregistered

[LOL] Ya been married more than 26 years so probably! Ya feel old yet? [Razz]

I dont get called cute that often so i'm still basking in the compliment [Big Grin] [LOL]

scifibum
Member # 945

It's true. Bask on.
  This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  ...  76  77  78   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page