Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2 (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  76  77  78   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok ok, I'm cooling down.

"I hate conservatives" ought to be replaced with, "I hate the Master of Darkness who has deceived masses of humanity into believing that recessive economic policy is God's plan of earthly peace and success."

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
munga, you need more perspective. You need more experience. You're too invested and convinced of what you believe right now. I think the ONLY way for you to be more productive and correct in your business efforts and political arguments is to back off of your convictions a little and try to consider differing points of view.

Just my opinion. And the only reason I'm offering it is because of the frequency with which you offer up black and white, absolute statements of fact about the character of entire groups of people. It's starting to look and sound like bigotry.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
scifi,

How many more politicians do I need to watch lie and steal and harpoon their own people? Your own in Utah are of the most despicable type, and I do not mean that hypothetically. You hear me harp on MS all the time, which I do because there appear to be very few here with any particular ties there, but should I get into UTAH? Shall I rehearse your particular venal, hypocritical scumbags by name and rank? MS only acted normally, but UTAH went the extra mile and stole technology. I have nothing but the deepest contempt for your leaders, because they hide their disgusting actions beneath the acceptable and imperturbable cloak of a majority religion. There are only a few things to shake my faith as strongly as the actions of the leaders in Utah. But fortunately, I know that man is a fickle, ****ty thing, especially when it is a conservative in elected office. I would love it, to find an honest conservative in power. But I have found only one in office and.. not in Utah.

MORE experience? Should I look to New Mexico, Arizona, Louisiana, Florida, Ohio, Kentucky? Would you like the names of the particular moral midgets there? Just let me know where you would like to stop?

I think you may mean, different experience.

That, I agree with.

[ November 28, 2008, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: munga ]

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

OK, Hobsen,

I hafta post something-

I've misspelled your name several times just to tweek you into having to write, "and spell my name right!" but you have never taken that bait.

Yer good stuff, I'll stop tweeking, and I apologize.

[Smile]

hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, munga. [Smile]
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way OT - Precious child just wrote "Boo" on her own. I'm giddy proud.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
munga: well, enjoy your certainty.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

scifi-

I beg to be proven wrong, every single time.

Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://tinyurl.com/5opfv3

Things like this really make it hard for me to believe that people aren't, at heart, venal, evil, and stupid.

Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

stupid, especially.
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief. How awful. Yet another reason I stay home on Black Friday. Egad.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
http://tinyurl.com/5opfv3

Things like this really make it hard for me to believe that people aren't, at heart, venal, evil, and stupid.

Agreed...herd behavior is not exactly exemplary of lofty ideals. Just keep in mind there were a lot of people sleeping off their turkey, too.

I wonder if the retail industry bears any ethical responsibility to quit trying to feed this ridiculous 'black Friday' frenzy. I suppose I wouldn't want any laws about it, but - knowing that people are prone to stampede and fight when stores have these 'doorbuster' sales - wouldn't it be the right thing to not create the situation where the greeter gets trampled?

A slightly less depressing story about group behavior.

Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really not seeing how the retail industry created the situation where this guy gets trampled. I mean, a thousand other walmarts and other stores open without incident, and a bunch of dingbats go crazy, how does this mean the retail industry is at fault?

I don't know if I'd call your second example group behavior, exactly, beyond that they all were hungry.

I wonder why they went with ostrich meat?

Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

The Iranian government is apparently trying to promote ostrich meat as a low fat healthy alternative to beef and lamb. (shrug) Probably an ostrich rancher bribed somebody.

"I am really not seeing how the retail industry created the situation where this guy gets trampled. I mean, a thousand other walmarts and other stores open without incident, and a bunch of dingbats go crazy, how does this mean the retail industry is at fault?"

I dunno. I guess I just hope that Walmart is more changeable than the dingbats. I don't know how to induce people to behave like civilized people despite the prospect of super great discounts, when in their sheer numbers you could not convince any one of them to feel responsible for what happened. I doubt any of those shoppers are apologizing to the dead guy's family, because the responsibility for what happened is too spread out. Just like few of us would apologize to any Iraqi civilians who had family killed in our wars in Iraq, I guess. I'm no exception to the rule, and I can easily imagine myself part of that shopping crowd and not feeling like I did anything wrong. It's just sad.

Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

I'm pretty sure if anyone on Ornery saw a guy sprawled out in front of them, they would try real hard to at least not step on him or kick him.

My goodness, they might even stop once the crowd had dispersed to render assistance. Imagine!

No, as much as this might be attributed to mass hysteria where good people's individual will somehow evaporated, I don't believe it. This crowd just happened to be composed of evil, braindead, subhuman scum who chose not to care.

scifibum
Member # 945

quote:
I'm pretty sure if anyone on Ornery saw a guy sprawled out in front of them, they would try real hard to at least not step on him or kick him.

The problem with a stampede is you don't get to stop if you're in the middle. Once you've been shoved several feet past the guy, it's extremely easy to conclude that it's someone else's problem. (Practically speaking, you have no power to do anything and there are other people with presumably equal decency who are now closer and fractionally more likely to be able to help, but they get shoved too and that's the problem.)
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually some news articles reported there were police officers and other store employees trying to reach the man who was trampled, but it took several minutes because the crowd was still being forced into the store. In addition there were as I recall twenty or so other injured, so it may not have been clear who most needed help.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

Those poor people, being forced into the store.
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now for something completely different.

After my recent attempt to show something on YouTube from the BBC ended in failure I was wondering if YouTube’s Monty Python Channel was available in the US.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klatu Maru? I can't wait. December 12. Although it doesn't much look like the original.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimskater
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for jimskater   Email jimskater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Athelstan:

Yes

Now, will you please remove the penguin from the telly?

Posts: 805 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jim

Exploded the Penguin and now he’s like the Parrot.

He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker!
'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace!

Perhaps I should start a thread on Monty Python Quotes.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimskater
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for jimskater   Email jimskater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Athelstan. Now I have to wash down the walls.

At least I don't have "Property of the zoo" tattooed on my bum.

But then I always look on the bright side of life.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

Well, I am disappointed with myself. Sorta.

Today, being a "fifth" Sunday (in the month) we had no distinct women's meeting, and just a combined men and women's meeting during the third hour of church. Today, the Bishop spoke and he covered many topics I felt were useful and good to hear, but then he got to his meeting with the other church leaders including Dallin Oaks (by training, a lawyer) and I am .... sad ..... at myself. Apparently, Elder Oaks told them that the Church needed to "take a stand, or it would spread all over the country."

I said nothing. Not because I couldn't think of what to say, or how to frame the questions, but because I knew I would be placing the bishop in the tight spot of asking him questions he should have asked Elder Oaks, and did not think to. Not kind of me, but saying nothing felt kinda wrong, too.

What a sad state.

[ November 30, 2008, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

Sometimes it's better to keep quiet. No shame in that.
KnightEnder
unregistered

This penguin has ceased to be!
KnightEnder
unregistered

They found a Squid with "elbows" in the Gulf of Mexico at one of the drilling sights. Cool.

KE

Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, munga, you know my position is that yours on ssm isn't thought out or even coherent. But I can tell you how I handle my own dissent when I disagree with what's being taught in the ward. I do agree with you that in the situation you described, confronting the bishop in the class would do no good for the reason that you described. In that sort of situation, I've simply stood up and walked out of the room. And later expressed my opinion to the Bishop. And when necessary, answered truthfully, "YES" to the temple recommend question about symathizing with apostate persons. Yes I agree with some of their teachings, and I don't know if those were the specific opinions that got them in trouble, and would the bishop/stake president like to clarify the matter for the church?

Similarly, if your questions were not loaded beyond the point of being genuine "questions," I don't think it would hurt to ask the bishop to pass them on.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Just like few of us would apologize to any Iraqi civilians who had family killed in our wars in Iraq, I guess. I'm no exception to the rule, and I can easily imagine myself part of that shopping crowd and not feeling like I did anything wrong. It's just sad.

I've apologized to Serbs that my country had to bomb the hell out of their country to distract from my country's internal squabble over a piece of intern. Magnified by my country's notoriously bad sense of geography that we apparently could not tell the difference between Bosnia and Kosovo. It doesn't get much sorrier than that.

Oh, wait it does get worse. My family was living in Shanghai at the time, and they offered many apologies that our idiot CIA targeted the Chinese Embassy for bombing. Did I mention I was afraid for my familys' lives at the time with all those angry PRC protests, like the Chinese mob that stoned that Albanian child?

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I don't think the CIA "missed" anything. [Frown] [Wink]

KE

munga
Member # 6006

Tell you what, Pete, how about you and I don't talk to each other any further on the topic.

You end up calling me stupid, and I end up calling you mean... so let's just not.

Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

Here's a webcomic called Hereville about an 11 year-old Orthodox Jewish girl that fights dragons and trolls.

I really like it.

munga
Member # 6006

buuuleeeeccch.

I want to know who the Pied Piper was that led over the recent infestation, and I want them to turn around and go back to Hatrack.

I think we'll all be happier, really. And I'll admit I'm being selfish- Ornery is my therapy and community of educated, interesting friends. There is a reason I registered ornery.

[ December 01, 2008, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

Anyone in particular you're irritated with? I haven't noticed anyone new from Hatrack that hasn't already been posting here for at least a few months.
munga
Member # 6006

nevermind......

I'll just deal, I guess.

[ December 01, 2008, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

I haven't been paying much attention lately, Munga, so I don't know whom you are referring to, but I know what you mean. There is a vast difference between Ornery and Hatrack and never the twain should meet. Unless the Hatracker has decided to grow up. [Smile]

Once, years ago, I was really bored and nothing was going on on Ornery so I ventured over to Hatrack, it was like leaving a philosophy class that was having an open discussion and walking into a high school kegger.

KE

munga
Member # 6006

I felt similarly when I arrived here, from Little Green Footballs. (add "reactionary/fascist" to the kegger to visualize)

Nice place, this.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

Which topic do you refer to, munga? Dissent, or ssm? I was talking to you about dissent. I don't recall us quarreling on that topic.

I'm saying that despite the cultural groupthink, there are actually mechanisms for doing what you seemed to be interested in doing, i.e. expressing opinions and asking questions that run counter to the apparent directions from church leaders. I thought that even though you claim to not be able to distinguish me from your conservative pew-neighbors, that you might hear what I had to say about dissent, given my experience in the matter.

But then I guess if you acknowledged reading what happened to me, then you wouldn't be able to keep up the "argument" that I'm just going with the majority because it's what I've been told to do. In that light, is everything just one topic to you, so we can't talk about anything? Would my having anything worthwhile to say on any topic would defeat what passes for your argument on ssm?

munga
Member # 6006

just a passing whimsy of thought, pete.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

munga, You want to make a point or suggestion with me, be specific.

"mean" is euphemistic for what you've actually said, e.g. "bloodsucking lawyer."

I don't think I've ever called you "stupid," though I thought and said that some of your arguments and misconstructions were foolish. I don't think you're stupid either, otherwise your responses would not annoy me.

You want to stop talking to each other about ssm or about everything? My answer is yes whether you specify the one or the other, but I won't make a vague agreement. There are alternate, dare I say better and more mature ways to handle our conflict, but I'm not sure we have the common ground. You want to find out?

This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  76  77  78   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page