Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2 (Page 60)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  ...  76  77  78   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bah humbug!

No christmassy mood until at least December, says I.

Day after Halloween Starbucks had already trotted out the Christmas cups. *shakes head*

12 days of Christmas is hard enough to sustain an especially festive mood--2 months is absurd. Just waters down the spirit of the thing.

Bah!

Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KE
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for KE   Email KE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was expecting this. [Smile] [Cool]
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
She is lovely, scifi-kun—enough that I'm wondering if I should lay off the jokes about taking her on an Actually Good Date in case you start thinking I'm being sincere. [Big Grin]

She'd probably like a sincere effort to get me to take her on an Actually Good Date.

It's just that I've been quite careful thus far to keep the bar low - and once we dabble in places with table linens, atmosphere, or wine without artificial colors or flavors, what then? It's a slippery slope of Heightened Expectations. Next thing you know, drive-through food service just isn't special enough for the anniversary. You can see why I'm cautious.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of turkeys hope we shall forget Thanksgiving.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just spent an hour smoking cigars and drinking with my racist neighbor. Pretty interesting guy. Played with Tom Waits and a bunch of other 'famous' musicians I have never heard of. Godamn old people.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Tommy. And just think.

50 years from now, my grandchildren will see you and think the very same thing about you.

(The "godamn old people" part, that is. Not the "racist neighbor" part.)

[ November 17, 2009, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: 0Megabyte ]

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I give a damn what those little whipper snappers think. Why, when I was there age, I could do 100 pull-ups with my left pinkie and was banging twice as many chicks in my sleep. Can't do that with their fancy cell phones, positive demeanor, and personal hygiene can they?
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KE
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for KE   Email KE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both of you kids get off my lawn!
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KE
Member # 6535

quote:
A British woman who trapped her pedophile husband by posing as a teenage girl on the internet has been praised by a children's charity, Sky News reported.

David Anthony Roberts, 69, asked a girl he believed to be aged 14 to have sex with him, not realizing he was having an online conversation with his wife Cheryl.

Cheryl Roberts was so shocked she called in the police and The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, who discovered indecent images of children on his computer.

Her husband admitted to police he would have been prepared to have sex with the 14-year-old from the internet chatroom if she had agreed to meet up with him.

David Roberts, of Bridgend, south Wales, was sentenced at Cardiff Crown Court on Thursday and ordered to attend a program for sex offenders as part of a three-year community order.

He must also register as a sex offender for five years and is banned indefinitely from having contact in person or online with children under the age of 18.

Bizarre. I wonder if they are still married?
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did he think of Waits?

And yes, you are still my favorite poster of Ornery.

seekprom: the semi-official rule, arrived at in the, oh, mid-90s, that commercial venues not promote Xmas until Thanksgiving, broke under the strain of a faltering economy.

BYW, I begin seasonal work as a Sally Ann bell-ringer this Friday.

dingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingding

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asmalls4
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for asmalls4   Email asmalls4       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
She is lovely, scifi-kun—enough that I'm wondering if I should lay off the jokes about taking her on an Actually Good Date in case you start thinking I'm being sincere. [Big Grin]

She'd probably like a sincere effort to get me to take her on an Actually Good Date.

It's just that I've been quite careful thus far to keep the bar low - and once we dabble in places with table linens, atmosphere, or wine without artificial colors or flavors, what then?

They have places like that?!?! Dang!! Time to start upping the expectations!! [Wink]
Posts: 161 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

"Sweet jeebers, this is tiresome — the separation of church and state is, to a large extent, what separates freedom from tyranny, but perpetual violations of the First Amendment by idiot legislators will continue for as long as there's no penalty. I propose a solution: lawmakers who vote for such silliness as this should be assessed the full cost of litigation when it's struck down by the courts."

Helen and Harry ****ed up here. The church and the state are tyranny. Tyranny is like a crumb. If you cut it in half - its still tyranny.

TommySama
Member # 2780

"What did he think of Waits?"

Between him saying, "..and this black piece of ****..." every few minutes, I heard that he was pretty cool. And that he totally wrecked his beautiful voice. I'll ask more next time. I wasn't paying much attention because I don't know who Tom Waits is.

hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom Waits has been around a long time and done an amazing variety of things in the entertainment industry. I am not surprised your neighbor was impressed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Waits

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom Waits
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seen Tom Waits in the Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus as the devil. Very good.
Not feelin the music that much though.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

When Klish was young
asmalls4
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for asmalls4   Email asmalls4       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
37 weeks and all is well. Getting excited and a little bit anxious. [Smile]
Posts: 161 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

You and your newborn will be a wonder.

P.S. It's very rare that a YouTube comment is worth quoting but this, of a more recent Natalie performance of that song is, and says something I believe you'll be enjoying as a mother for many years to come:

"...it just forces me to smile... she dances like a child - with reckless abandon and I just love that little glimpse of unrehearsed life that she exudes."

Unrehearsed life. Study it well while you can for the next ten years or so...

[ November 19, 2009, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

asmalls4
Member # 6504

Thanks Kenmeer!! That made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Very nice. [Smile]
KE
Member # 6535

It's cliche but god it goes so fast. [Frown]
KE
Member # 6535

I love that song.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"That made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. '

I am like interior mold.

KE
Member # 6535

My oldest son, 20, just beat me at chess for real for the first time ever. [Smile]

Not for nothing, but he is at college exercising his brain while I slave away at a mind-numbingly boring job and take a lot of drugs. [Smile] Not that that I'm making excuses. [Wink]

I won the first game but I screwed up in the second when I castled trapping my King on the back row when he had a piece to cover his Queen swooping in to mate me. Instead of playing a tie-breaker we decided to call it a draw. It's okay to do that with family.

It's weird to lose and be happy about it. I still don't like losing but the happiness and pride overwhelms that feeling of loss. I'm very proud that my son is so sharp. [Smile]

Sharp enough to beat me and I've always been pretty good at chess. When I was a kid I used to beat my friends dads pretty regularly. Haven't played in a while though. Much prefer Texas Hold'em.

KE

KE
Member # 6535

Any of you enlightened people every lower yourselves to watch "Californication"?

I really like it. I watched it for Duchoveny, but it is a very interesting show about men, women, and sex. And the wacky hi-jinks that ensue. [Smile]

KE

KE
Member # 6535

I finally watched "Lord of the Flies" this weekend. I was disappointed.

I watched because it is referenced so often in popular culture; in other books, shows, and even by people in everyday life. Or at least people on tv in everyday life. And I'm sure there were some deep philosophical lessons that I failed to deeply grasp, the evil in men's hearts and all that. And I'm sure the book is much better at expressing those themes since books can tell you what a character is thinking and feeling, instead of relying on child-actors to express all that emotion and depth. Not that the kids were bad actors. But movies are a limited media and they weren't great actors either.

Anyway, I found it disappointing. Especially the way it ended. Anybody else seen it? What did you think? Am I way off? Do I have to watch it again?

I did notice that it bore a striking resemblance to "Ender's Game". I mean, stick a bunch of kids on a battle school instead on an island and see what happens. And Bonzo Madrid bears a striking resemblance to the antagonist in The Lord of the Flies, and the 'hero', Ralph, could be Ender as I picture him in my mind. Not only did he look like Ender but he had the same righteous qualities about him. Of course the character was nowhere near as compelling as Ender. Book vs Movie again, but I bet even book vs book Ender is just a much better character. Genius with a killer survival instinct whereas Ralph was bright but a little weak-willed.

Of course there is nothing new under the sun, and OSC certainly did a better job in my opinion. Plus the whole "gee whiz factor" as Orson calls it wasn't present in TLoF. I wish it had been.

KE

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a long time but I remember liking Lord of the Flies quite a bit. I should watch it again and see.

I've seen an episode or three of Californication, and I haven't become a fan. I find Duchovny rather irritating.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i usually flip to cartoon network as soon as Dexter goes off. can't miss Dexter though.
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a sad story
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayne
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for stayne   Email stayne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear God, after a day of meddling with a recipe for habenero/tabasco mustard, my whiskey tastes watered. What I came up with freakin' glows in the dark, man. I will need special dispensation from the government to get around any 'mailing weaponry and lethal concoctions' if I ever sell any!

But it's good stuff.

Posts: 594 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KE
Member # 6535

Scifi,

I've always liked Duchoveny. Even back when he was doing Red Shoe Diaries. But I agree he can be kinda Cooler-than-thou. The other day a girl in his class he was having sex with commented on the fact that he spent an entire class lecturing on on how un-cool Coldplay is and how anyone that likes them is soul-dead. (My sons agree.) And I remember thinking "**** him". Part of being cool is liking what you like and not going along with the crowd on every damn issue. Hey, I like Bob Dylan, The Beatles, AND ABBA. And if screw anybody that has a problem with that.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

I like Coldplay. They do the same thing over and over, yeah, but when they get it right it's a fine old same thing.
scouser1
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:
I like Coldplay. They do the same thing over and over, yeah, but when they get it right it's a fine old same thing.

"Hear Jerusalem bells are ringin', Roman cavalry choirs are singing. Be my mirror my sword my shield, missionaries in a foreign field.
For some reason I can't explain, I know Saint Peter wont call my name.
Never an honest word, but that was when I ruled the world."

[Big Grin]

KE
Member # 6535

Sorry that is kind of messed up at the end. My boss asked me to do something and I finished up in a hurry. Then when I got back our nanny-system had kicked in and wouldn't let me edit. Shouldn't our conservative members be sitting out in protest of this big-government program that has been 'added' to Ornery?

I was going to say "And if..." and then I thought; "if" nothing just "screw anybody that has a problem with that." [Smile]

KE

KE
Member # 6535

Joe Pags (apparently a radio show host) hung up on me tonight. [Smile]

I had to work late and so on the drive home I ended up listening to a 'different' right-wing nut on the radio.

When I first tuned in he was saying how some caller earlier couldn't back up reasons for 'believing' in Barack Obama. The guy 'hesitated' in voicing support for a woman's right to choose and from this Pags determined that the guy was a liar. He said he "loved a lively debate" and wanted dems to call-in. Then there were about five ass-kissing right-wing callers who stopped blowing Pags long enough to tell him how great he was and how "right" he was.

So I called the show and asked the screener if "They'd like to hear from someone who disagreed with the host?" He said; "You disagree with Joe Pags?" I said; "Oh, yeah." So, they put me on and Pags had just gone off about how Obama won the election fair and square so he would get his four years but it was all over in 2012 and the Republicans would take back the White House. So I asked him who he thought the Republicans had that could beat Obama? He started off by saying that he wasn't sure of Palin, and that he liked Romney and Huckabee, but his big hope was that there was "someone" out there that would step up and lead the party. I asked him; "Who, Lou Dobbs?" He laughed and said; "I was going to bring that up next hour, we'll talk about that then." I said; "Well, you better hope there is someone out there because right now you guys have no one that could beat Obama in '12." Then I said; "A minute ago you were saying that Obama was flying all over the world in an attempt to avoid taking responsibility for the Healthcare bill in case it failed. That is the most ridiculous hypothesis I've heard in a while. The Healthcare Bill 'is' Obama's. His name is all-over it and whether it succeeds or fails he is tied to it." Pags ignored that and asked me what I thought of our president bowing to foreign leaders. I told him the truth. I didn't like him bowing to the Saudi Prince but had no problem with his bowing to the Japanese Prime Minister. He asked me why I didn't have a problem with Obama bowing to the Prime Minister of Japan. I said because since WWII Japan has been our ally. He freaked and screamed "Saudi Arabia is our ally!" I laughed at him and said "Bush's ally." He screamed "No, Saudi Arabia is America's ally!" I said; "Technically but if they didn't hold oil over our heads they wouldn't be and as an American I don't like them." He said well at least you our outraged that an American president would bow to them. Bush didn't bow to them. I said "No, Bush just kissed them and held hands with them." He said; "He certainly held hands with them that's not the same as bowing, and I've never heard of him kissing the prince I'll have to check into that. So why don't you care that he bowed to the Japanese?" I said; "Because Japan is truly our ally. They are practically another state like Canada. I have no problem with our president showing respect in acknowledging another peoples culture." He started yelling again; "He bowed LOWER than the Japanese Prime Minister! A sign of submission!" I said; "What?" He started yelling again; "You are an ideologue!! You have your head up your butt!" And hung up on me.

The whole thing took just a few minutes. Nothing like the amount of time he let those fawning sycophants that had been calling him ramble on about how great he was and what a "blessed" nation America is and how much greater than the rest of the world America is and why does Obama hate America. Followed by how scared they were of this black Muslim in the White House. It was pretty obvious that he had no desire to have an actual intellectual debate with someone that disagreed with him and was as well versed in the issues as he was.

I called back a few minutes later and told his screener to tell his boss that he was a coward and should stick to talking to the sycophants. I didn't wait for a reply as I wasn't mad at the screener nor did I have a desire to argue the point with him. I hope he passed the message along but I was pulling into my driveway by then and didn't stick around to hear. I'm sure he didn't. Those people need to be protected and insulated from real Americans that disagree with them and are able to articulate their reasons for doing so. They might start questioning their right to behave like a horse's ass everyday and alternating between scaring stupid middle-class Americans and tell them who to hate and blame for their irrational fear. And if they did that they might have to quit, and then what would they do for a living?

I usually don't bother calling those shows because they have all the control, and like this ******* use it if they are outclassed. Plus, it is just giving them fodder for their worthless shows. But I was bored and tired of hearing this loser pat himself on the back while being blown by the choir. And at least those idiot right-wing losers know that not all white middle-class Americans agree with them.

KE

[ November 25, 2009, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: KE ]

Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good for you, KE.

He got his butt kicked by the knight.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

They are now-dwindling echo chambers that had their days of glory but will now gradually decline. Ultimately they have to sell ads to stay in business, and in radio, like anything else in a capital market media economy, you're either growing or dying.

Since guys like this DJ ultimately need to make *and hold* their points to at least maintain their audience of sycophants, every time someone like KE makes points they can't refute it shrinks their audience, for that kind of vitriolic self-righteous adamancy requires a sense of logical invincibility to sustain itself. (I said 'a sense of logic...' not logic per se.)

Bush kisses oil baron princes vs. *but Obama bowed LOWER!* doesn't sustain that sense of logical invincibility, you know?

Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bezactly
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asmalls4
Member # 6504

Exactame
scouser1
unregistered

Cant wait for Britain's got Talent to return next year so more amazing people can be discovered.

Susan Boyle. Glad shes made it. 1 word: Amazing.

Wild Horses

This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  ...  76  77  78   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page