Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2 (Page 69)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  ...  76  77  78   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2
jimskater
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for jimskater   Email jimskater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Clark, you shameless manipulator, you! [Razz]
Posts: 805 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel so used! [Mad]

Congratulations, Clark!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...so, it turns out the reason it's been so quiet is that my mail client decided to start only checking a couple of my e-mail addresses, rather than all of them. Just enough of them, mind you, that I didn't notice there was a problem.

I hope I still get that job interview.

From now on, I shall distrust any period of quietness which lasts two days or more.

Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are almost done after three days of moving. Just a bit of cleaning at the old place and shifting furniture about is left. Technically we are occupying three apartments at the moment, but are only paying for one... This is basically going to be my life if I get through the week.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got laid off a week ago, my former company had to do a major Reduction in Force. Bleh. Anyone know any architecture jobs around SLC I can apply for?

Meanwhile, maybe I'll have a bit more time to post some other stuff later.

Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that, Ben. [Frown]
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's 2am and I just finished the third book in the Hunger Games trilogy. Despite being trendy, it is also really good
Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is nice to see such members as drewmie, seekingprometheus, and starLisa participating in Ornery again. That is not to denigrate other members who may have returned, just that I happened to notice those three who have been mentioned as being missed.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greg, I just finished Mockingjay - I think the trilogy is really wonderfully written, not what I've to come expect from the bulk of YA. Mockingjay is not the best of the three, in my opinion, but it's a good read. And in terms of getting into the warfighting and political sides of things, there was a thoughtfulness to Mockingjay that I really liked.

I want to be Suzanne Collins when I grow up. [Razz] I just finished writing my second novel, but I don't feel there yet when it comes to writing powerful and beautiful prose. I feel like I'm just me, writing like I talk.

Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Random Marijuana Study
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Wessex
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My email is alwessex@yahoo.com if anybody wants to send me any mail.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[LOL]

I never got your handle before. For some reason, I always assumed it was A.I. Wessex.

[ September 05, 2010, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: seekingprometheus ]

Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Wessex
unregistered

Ah so, in keeping with my persona as an automated forumbot. My maker would be pleased. I will be going in for retooling, so I won't posting any more.
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife tells me that the hospital she recently visited in Reno was flooded with patients suffering from broken bones caused by falling from camels. This must have been a consequence of the International Camel Races held recently in Virginia City, which expected about forty professional jockeys but offered everyone the chance to ride a camel. Some people in Nevada must ride camels better than others, and I hope our Nevada Ornery members are still in one piece.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys, I figured I should let you know I've been lurking. It's been a while (3 years I think) but I miss learning things in the debates. Hopefully I'll find a happy medium between spending all my time here, and being completely gone.
Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carlotta!! How the heck ya bin?
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see you, Carlotta. [Smile]
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Funean,

I've been pretty good. Last I remember (last I remember being on Ornery) I was adjusting to being a new homeowner, having baby #3, and going through major depression. It was just a lot at once! Now we're used to the house, used to the baby who is now 2 1/2, and I can say from the other end of the depression that although it sucks and it's something I'll have to deal with popping up for the rest of my life, it was definitely something I needed to deal with and I feel emotionally healthier than I ever have been.

The past year has been that crazy first year of running a new business, wondering every day if I was making the right decisions, but has mostly calmed down now. Having 2 kids in school full time and 1 in mothers day out two days a week gives me more time too.

Baby Version 4.0 is due in January, so that should be interesting, and I mean that in the best possible way. [Smile]

Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlotta
Member # 3117

Okay, can someone fill me in on KE? Haven't seen him around and I seem to remember some kind of drama a few months back?
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last i heard he's gone until hobsen is no longer the mod. i cant tell you much about the specific drama though.
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some jerk made a jab at his personal history, and he took off.

I have been taking Scoresby "Very Rare" blended scotch whisky for $14/liter. I got Johnnie Walker Red Label and did not much care for it. There are a lot of brands, does anybody have a suggestion? Oh, Kentucky bourbons are also good. So really any suggestion that is reasonably priced.

[ September 27, 2010, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: TommySama ]

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

If you want cheap but not nasty:
Benchmark Bourbon - $9/.75L
Not as terrible as other bourbons in this price point.

Can't help you with Scotch in this category. I drank a bunch of Old Smuggler I got on sale one time for $8.99/.75L, but it was pretty rough.

If you're just looking for "reasonable":

Jim Beam Black is pretty good, not too expensive. ~$20/.75L

Bowmore Islay Single Malt - $20/.75L
Nice peat-heavy flavor. Available in older version, I think this one is only 3yrs old, or something.

Famous Grouse blended Scotch - $22/.75L
Smooth, popular brand. Not very remarkable, but nothing offensive about it. But if you didn't like Johnnie Walker, maybe you wouldn't like this.

OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go for bourbons over scotch if you're on a budget. In my opinion, excellent single malt scotch is kind of worth the price if you've got the money to burn. But if you're looking to spend less than $50, might as well just go for the bourbon. It might be a combination of the snob factor and import duties, I'm not really sure - but you can get good bourbon at a decent price, and the scotch you get at a similar price is likely to be significantly less good.
Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

Not to be argumentative, just a counter point: I tend to get as much or more enjoyment out of my $20-$30 Scotch as I get out of bourbon at the same price (and I've tried about everything I can find in that price range). It might just be that I prefer the Scotch style.

I have to admit, though, that I don't have a very refined palate. I just can't quite enjoy the bottom shelf stuff, and after that, it's all pretty OK to me.

edit: Buffalo Trace is another one I like in the <$30 range.

[ September 27, 2010, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: scifibum ]

Carlotta
Member # 3117

Just wanted to let everyone know, I'm going to be out of town for the next 3-4 days so if it seems like I'm dropping out of threads, I don't mean to. See y'all back in half a week or so.
scouser1
unregistered

So, after being away for a while I thought i'd give a little update.
After being absent for a while, nothing much has changed. Still in the same dead-end job, working for the weekends, getting hooked on Twilight.
But I recently took a holiday to the Dominican Republic where I got engaged to my boyfriend of over 6 years [Smile]
The Dominican is such an amazing place, full of rich culture and breathtaking views.
You are all so lucky to have such amazing places virtually on your doorstep!
I highly recommend it.

If anyone has facebook, add me: www.facebook.com/la.femme.firecracker

[ October 11, 2010, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: scouser1 ]

tonylovern
Member # 2580

Congratulations on your engagement!
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Scouser!
Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

Nice to hear from you again, Scouser, and felicitations.
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 9 hours, the movers come to start packing up everything I own. (Expect the kids. We'll try to keep them out of the boxes.) I'll be incommunicado for close to 2 weeks, but when you next hear from me, I'll no longer be a Utahn but a Michigander.
Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

NIce. everyone wants to move closer to me but you actually pulled it off.
scifibum
Member # 945

What's the moving motivation, Clark? School? Job? I know it ain't the weather.
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, good thing no one else uses this thread anymore. . . .Scifi, it's a new job with Dow Corning. Yeah, it's cold (particularly compared to St. George) but since this company has a much lower chance of going out of business, we're happy to be here.
Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

more republican hypocrisy
TommySama
Member # 2780

I went to a biker gang bar party last night. It was awesome. There was vibrator racing and turkey sh!t bingo. And before you ask, the names describe these events pretty accurately.

[ December 05, 2010, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: TommySama ]

TommySama
Member # 2780

Minneapolis: buses are all canceled right now due to 15 inches of snowfall since last night. We are looking forward to 40 mph winds, 0 degree temperature, -30 degree windchill, and white outs across the metro area.
scifibum
Member # 945

This is no longer "chat." It's like a bulletin board in the corner of a rest stop next to a two lane highway in the desert. Every once in a while something gets posted, but there ain't much response.
tonylovern
Member # 2580

most of the people that used it dont post much anymore, if at all.
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just got back. My old computer died, and my password was only known by the deceased hard drive. But I just stumbled across an email from 2009 identifying my ornery password
Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

welcome back. probably gonna be slow till monday or so.
  This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  ...  76  77  78   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page