Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2 (Page 70)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  ...  76  77  78   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I got a Kindle for Christmas, a thing I would never ever have purchased for myself. It's not like a book (no smell, for one thing) but you can have a new book whenever you want one, in the middle of the night, from the bed, in your jammies, whenever. Instantly.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that you've had one for a bit, would you buy another one for yourself if you lost this one?
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vegimo
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for vegimo   Email vegimo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not used one, but I did get one for my daughter for Christmas. She is recommending it to everyone from her friends to my Mother. I got her the B&W WiFi Nook for $149. She likes the long battery life as compared to the color version - 10 days vs 8 hours. She also likes the e-ink format of the page since she feels it is just like reading a real book. Like Funean, she loves being able to get a new book whenever she wants. I am just happy that she is thrilled.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my mom got a kindle a couple months ago. she downloaded 23 books in her first week. i borrowed it to read brandon sandersons, "the gathering storm" and finished the book in 23 hours.

I'm sure she would replace it withing a week if anything happened to hers.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you take your kindle on the road (or stuff it into a full purse) you'll want to be careful. The screen is very fragile. We took ours on a plane and ~1/3 of the screen froze, making it unreadable.

I looked it up online and a bunch of people had the same problem. Amazon replaced it for free, but they claimed it was caused by too much pressure on the screen. IF that is true, you'll want a different cover for it other than the leather one available, because the leather is pliable enough that it won't protect the screen.

When we turned on the replacement, it spent an hour downloading every single book we had ever had on it - even the ones which had been deleted.

Posts: 359 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you pay for the books? I know a guy who knows a guy who downloads books for free from the world wide web. But reading on a computer screen is a pain in the eyes.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most of the books you'll pay for, although they have thousands of older books for free. i spent 23 hours straight on it and didnt have any problems with my eyes.

its not really a computer screen. as far as i can tell the picture is formed with ink and magnetics.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems pretty close to a super-etch-a-sketch.
Power is applied to make the "ink" stick to the screen, and then it stays there until it is refreshed. (That's why it has such a long battery life.)

It works on reflected light, just like paper, rather than projected light, like a monitor. (Which is what kills the eyes.)

Posts: 359 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer your question, scifi, it is important to factor in my extreme cheapness. I am not sure that I would replace it...but I would definitely replace it before I would replace, say, my cell phone.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

Who does this remind you of?
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is about interesting things you've seen on TV so I thought I'd post this. No idea if it'll ever be shown in the States though.

BBC - Louis Theroux: The Ultra-Zionists

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are not "Ultra Zionists"

They are "Ultra-Judo-Nazis"

Zionism is a secular and rational movement.
These people are neither

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any recommendations on resources online for learning to read and write Chinese? I'm working on some research for development of a multidimensional language presentation but primarily just fulfilling an interest I've had since jr. high in learning Chinese. I know I probably won't master speaking it but would love to develop some decent calligraphy skills along with reading + writing comprehension.
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian, I can help you when I'm on my other computer.

Everyone else - is Pete still alive?

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

Brian, I can help you when I'm on my other computer.

Everyone else - is Pete still alive?

Brian
Member # 588

Whatchu talkin' about, Willis?

[ February 25, 2011, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Brian ]

TommySama
Member # 2780

I speaka a little bit of the Chinese:

http://www.mandarintools.com/worddict.html
http://www.zhongwen.com/
http://www.usc.edu/dept/ealc/chinese/character/

I see now that the other resources I have are only for students of Chinese at my university. Duibuqi!

Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tommy, thanks for the resources, much appreciated! Next tech step, figuring out how to get Chinese characters on the computer once I learn more than a few score! For now, I'm gonna practice on paper, old school.
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 588

Ah ha! The confusion is explained.
Ben's post was not displayed when I loooked at this thread on Friday, so Tommy's post was apparently apropos of nothing.
And with no reference, I incorrectly assumed you were talking to me.

It did occur to me that you were talking to someone whose real-life name is Brian, but with no other posts for the previous week, I figured I should ask for clarification.

hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every year or so I run an Internet search on my name to see what is floating around out there about my family. One "fact" has been that I am earning an annual earned income above $200,000 although retired - that explains a lot of offers of investment opportunities. And I learned my son is now 72 and living in California, which probably would make me the first Ornery centenarian if it were only true.

But this year I did turn up a distinguished Revolutionary War ancestor, a certain Captain Mansfield who allegedly served under General Wooster. That is sort of interesting, and when I have time I shall try to find out who he was.

[ March 04, 2011, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

Hoping any Orneryites in Japan or Pacific area are okay. KidTokyo still around?
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking of him too. My understanding of the situation is the electricity and whatnot is disrupted, so he's probably not able to get online.

The news people keep saying that there are no reports of injured, dead, or missing Americans. I am trying to believe it and not feel wretched about Kid and the several other people I know in Japan right now.

I'm sure all of our thoughts (and prayers where applicable) are with him and his family.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The epicenter of this huge earthquake was 231 miles northeast of Tokyo, some eighty miles east of Sendai. In Tokyo the great distance from the quake location meant the effects were relatively mild. Although I am not sure, my impression is that KidTokyo's relatives live in southern Japan.

Tsunamis can of course travel for hundreds of miles and then get focused by the configuration of a particular shoreline to create a huge local wave, so any tsunami warning makes it a good idea to head for high elevations - and fortunately Japan has lots of mountains. My wife worried about our house, but I told her no tsunami generated near Japan would sweep past San Francisco and twenty miles up the Sacramento River, then turn south and travel ten miles overland to reach us at 500 feet above sea level. Actually I think she said the wave chanced to reach San Francisco at low tide with a height of three feet, which is more what would be expected given the distance.

Geological records do show damage from landslides in Hawaii which created 1500 foot waves locally on the Pacific Coast, but even such waves would not penetrate far inland. Regardless of the energy of a wave when it strikes a coastline, it has only so much water to mobilize - and speading that out over inland areas means it cannot sustain its height for long once it leaves the ocean.

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do people really think the world is gonna end soon??
Have seen a load of devout bible nuts preachin all about 2012. I mean 'cmon really??

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hobsen:
But this year I did turn up a distinguished Revolutionary War ancestor, a certain Captain Mansfield who allegedly served under General Wooster. That is sort of interesting, and when I have time I shall try to find out who he was.

You might know this already but Ancestry are giving free lookups to their American Civil War records for a limited time.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just popping my head in to say hello. I miss the chatting, but can't escape that my attention is too fractured right now to post meaningful comments. That makes this post just a *wave* from the sidelines and a hope that all the Ornery folks are well.
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see that you are still around munga. I mostly just observe as well.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

Three graduate students were hit by a car last weekend on my campus. They were heading home from the bar on the sidewalk when a driver jumped the curb and hit all three of them, then driving away. The University police response was to start handing out more jay walking tickets. Which makes perfect sense.
TommySama
Member # 2780

Good news for fellow Rebecca Black fans. Any Orneryites making the trek to the Mall of America (Bloomington, not Minneapolis)?
TommySama
Member # 2780

quote:
Originally posted by scouser1:
Do people really think the world is gonna end soon??
Have seen a load of devout bible nuts preachin all about 2012. I mean 'cmon really??

Absolutely. It is actually November of this year, I believe. Repent, sinners!

I'm rooting for a Christian style apocalypse, but I suppose I would also accept a 2012 (movie) style apocalypse as well. Minnesota will be hit last, naturally, so I will be able to enjoy the show.

AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's naive to think the world hasn't already ended and that we're not now living in a post-apocalyptic reality. If this were the real world we wouldn't have spent all this time arguing about where the President was born.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was originally just going to post a "hi" to y'all to let you know I"m still reading though not posting much (busy with the baby.) But then I read earlier up in the page and yes, I'd like to know if Pete is around anymore too. And Funean, Kindle's are amazing! To whoever asked, I got one for my birthday and YES I would replace it immediately if it broke. I read really quickly and it's so hard to take 4 kids to the library and actually pick out any books for myself. I have about 200 books on my Kindle and have only paid for 3 of them. Most I get from the promotional free offers from the Amazon store but I just learned that I can email pdf and mobi formatted ebooks to my Kindle email address for somethign like 20 cents a book (assuming the ebook was free to download in the first place). I'm currently reading a Twilight fanfic that was recommended by someone here on Ornery.
Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

Carlotta, if you go to my FB page you can see two different freebie sites that post updates on my page. One is Pixels of Ink (I think) and the other one is the ever popular "I forget what the hell it's called but it's that red square profile pic." [Smile]
Funean
Member # 2345

And, per apocalypse, there are all these signs in my area saying it's May 21st of this year. So, that's stinky, but on the bright side, don't bother pulling the mower out!
yossarian22c
Member # 1779

- posted      Profile for yossarian22c   Email yossarian22c       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carlotta, I think I remember you mentioning moving to NC recently. I'm not sure what part of the state you are in but throughout a lot of NC there are small farms where you can pick your own strawberries. It's a fun activity for kids and you get fresh strawberries for a fraction of the price you would pay at the store.
Posts: 1121 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi yossarian,

We ended up not moving after all, to my great relief. I really didn't want to move away from my family at 8 months pregnant and then live with the in-laws till our house sold! So, we're still in TX. But thanks for the reminder. There are a lot of pick your own blueberry places around here, usually starting in early June, so I'll keep those in mind. I don't think strawberries grow well here.

Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

If anyone is interested, some of my relatives recently organized donation and delivery of relief aide to Alabama. I wrote a blog about it here.

Yes i know i spelled church, they and pallet wrong. I was still kind of wiped from all the driving when i wrote it.

Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An amusing point that I saw made recently:
A mattress full of well preserved paper currency from the 1800's is more rare and would be worth far more today than the equivalent amount of gold that it could have been traded for while it was in circulation.

[ May 27, 2011, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Pyrtolin ]

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checking in. Still largely sane. Kid is older. Wife is still pretty. House is largely done. The cars are still fast. And I'm still as condescending as always. <at least that would be the rumors about me.. all marginally true and untrue at the same time.>
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
Member # 2550

- posted      Profile for Blayne Bradley   Email Blayne Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Redskullvw:
And I'm still as condescending as always. <at least that would be the rumors about me.. all marginally true and untrue at the same time.>

Lulz. Explains a lot already really.

[ June 28, 2011, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

Posts: 389 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  ...  76  77  78   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page