Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2 (Page 74)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Chat - Part 2
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for fun.

Five albums that made you who you are (my car pool buddy and I had this conversation on the way home today).

Rage Against the Machine- Rage Against the Machine (put words and music to feelings I had been unable to make sense of, broke me free from the Republican/Democrat dichotomy, got insane sounds out of normal instruments; Freedom, Fistful of Steel, Settle For Nothing, Take the Power Back, Know Your Enemy)

Tower of Song: Songs of Leonard Cohen- Various Artists (lyrics that made me stop and ponder, a variety of musical styles; Everybody Knows- Don Henley, Famous Blue Raincoat- Tori Amos, Coming Back to You- Trisha Yearwood)

Songs To Win A Championship- University of Florida Fightin' Gator Marching Band (this is more for the band that recorded the album [Smile] gave me six years of good times, inspired me to become a band director, is responsible for most of who I am socially; Orange And Blue, Florida Parade Sequence, Hey Baby, Wabash Cannonball, Jaws and Go Gators)

Messa Da Requiem- Verdi (made me feel like there was room in art music for me; Dies Irae, Sanctus)

Sublime- Sublime (that sound, such sublime music with such mundane but somehow moving lyrics, good music doesn't have to be art music, or pop music can be art music; Pawn Shop, Wrong Way, April 29th, 1992, Santeria)

[ January 12, 2012, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: philnotfil ]

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlotta
Member # 3117

- posted      Profile for Carlotta   Email Carlotta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete if you're reading shoot me an email or find me on Facebook. My email got returned and I'm not sure which phone number I have for you is the right one.
Posts: 1318 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mod, the forum disappeared for days with no warning. The next time there's a scheduled maintenance outage can you post a heads-up a day in advance?
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AI Wessex:
Mod, the forum disappeared for days with no warning. The next time there's a scheduled maintenance outage can you post a heads-up a day in advance?

You knew as much about it as I did [Frown]

I will ask them to let us know next time.

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I figured that the server spontaneously combusted in response to OSC posting another World Watch rant.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to propose a voluntary six-month ban on the discussion of the pros and cons of legally-sanctioned gay marriage on Ornery, with an option to renew for an additional three months at the end of the term.

My reasons are as follows:

1) At this point, no one has new information to add, new insights to arrive upon, or new points to make.

2) This being a topic near and dear to several hearts, tensions are apt to run high--and after a couple of years of discussing the same topic with the same points and the same responses, those tensions are likely to be spiked with outrage at the obtuseness and poor memory of one's fellow in discourse. In other words: more heat than light.

3) Posters' attention, wit, and energy could instead go towards creating and responding to new topics, wherein there are new things to be learned and said. After several months of this, there might even be a welling of fellow-feeling!

Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chael:

Actually, in my opinion, the recent heat is finally melting apart the metal from some of the dross that has been corrupting the ore for years.

It's hard to see exactly what's happening in the smelting process, because the slag isn't acknowledged as such and catalogued as it is stripped away--on the contrary, the heat causes combustion of volatile byproducts, and the eye fixates on the explosions that ignite, and fails to notice that after the bang, some of the waste has been refined away.

People don't actually admit that they have been wrong very often. But once the irony is wrought hot enough, some of the worthless matter DOES drop off, and some of the refuse of wrong refrains simply no longer remains.

Even if not everyone notices what is now simply missing in the new composition.

Think about it this way: If you've been tenaciously clinging to an incorrect claim, and it suddenly becomes apparent to see that what you've been saying isn't quite right, are you:

A) Likely to admit that the energy you've invested in what you've been saying has turned out to be an embarrassing waste?

or

B) Likely to change the subject, and maybe even blow up angrily about something slightly different, hoping that the memory of the mistake will simply fade away?

(PS, the answer is B, though we'd all like to think that in our own noble case, we'd pick A.)

As is apparent, there is always more unrefined ore being loaded into the smelter--but a lot of the processes for removing the simple stuff are well understood and quickly implemented--certain types of errors are efficiently picked clean in a matter of a few posts.

But what is interesting is when some of the incorrigible corruption that has been intransigent to all efforts for years starts to smoke...

And once it blows, most are so frightened by the bang that they don't even notice what has changed.

People want to believe that enlightenment is something bright that can be seen, but understanding is actually rather something that evolves: ideas compete, and what can't survive simply dies, and fades away from memory.

Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and PS:
quote:
Posters' attention, wit, and energy could instead go towards creating and responding to new topics
Some posters may recognize that controversy and conflict correlate with the places they lend their voices, and they may thus limit the threads within which they participate, to preserve space for voices that don't feel comfortable engaging in such a way.

[Smile]

Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much as I'd like to believe you're making progress, SP, I *have* been paying attention and I'm not sure I would agree.

I'm a little conflicted about how you're focusing your energy here, lately. I'm interested in the project but not sure I agree with the projectification.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

Scifi:

Do me a favor, and shoot me an email at seekingprometheus@yahoo.com. I don't have access to my associated email acct any more.

[ March 27, 2012, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: seekingprometheus ]

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too many beers tonight, I can't stop laughing at this one (it really does hurt when you do that...).
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whelp, now that I am apparently both racists and not an honest person I switch back to lurk mode....
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Redskullvw:
Whelp, now that I am apparently both racists and not an honest person I switch back to lurk mode....

Yeah, that accusatory thread did suck, and I did defend you there. That stunk like the old Ornery, where such accusations were common. [Frown]

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Vmo7BOiXy28/UAeELeW1nrI/AAAAAAAAAmc/0FJYEDtvEQg/s320/funny-pictures-challenge-accepted2.jpg

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another funny tweaker story

quote:
Officers say the suspect was naked and carrying his shorts as well as a can of Crisco, according to The Quad-City Times.

“He had lathered himself up in Crisco. He was covered in grease, and was holding the can under his arm," Rock Island Deputy Chief of Police Jeff VenHuizen told the paper. “He said he was looking for a place to party."

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OM:
quote:
I have banned both G3 and Pete at Home from posting on Ornery for one week. They will both be reinstated on August 29th.
Oh really?
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

God, the Republicans are a mess. Ron Paul supporters revolting, rules being changed to disenfranchise them, a delegate thrown out for throwing nuts at a black camerawoman and saying "this is how we feed animals". Meanwhile in Ohio the state is disallowing weekend voter registration to limit black participation, Democratic voter registration in Florida is down 90% from 4 years ago due Scott's new policies. In Pennsylvania a state delegate said publicly that Romney will win the state because of the new voter identification law they rammed through. Meanwhile....this is happening all over the place. Um, in a democracy?
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
God, the Republicans are a mess. Ron Paul supporters revolting, rules being changed to disenfranchise them, a delegate thrown out for throwing nuts at a black camerawoman and saying "this is how we feed animals". Meanwhile in Ohio the state is disallowing weekend voter registration to limit black participation, Democratic voter registration in Florida is down 90% from 4 years ago due Scott's new policies. In Pennsylvania a state delegate said publicly that Romney will win the state because of the new voter identification law they rammed through. Meanwhile....this is happening all over the place. Um, in a democracy?

You left out the Republicans in Iowa trying to get Johnson off the ballot because it will cause “irreparable harm to other candidates and political parites who must compete against him" and the Republicans in Kansas trying to get Obama off the ballot because he isn't a natural born citizen. In a democracy.
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Why, was he born Caesarian?
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

Caesar weeps in his salad.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Al! Are you back with us? I thought I'd have to wait until after the election. Kill the fatted calf! One of my favorite posters is back from the dead!
scifibum
Member # 945

Speaking of such things, I don't know if people have noticed, but Richard Dey posted in the Writers' forum a few days ago. I never thought we'd hear from him again.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Wow for Dey. Wonder if anyone will read him our messages.

Using this thread to post funnies, this one is about 4 years overdue, but it made me giggle:

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/politicalcartoons/ig/Political-Cartoons/McCain-and-Iseman.htm

Pete at Home
Member # 429

Boardwalk Empire strikes me as a show with incredible actors and fascinating characters, that deserve a faster moving story.

I think my favorite is Chalky White. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsFSCOkR22M

[ October 02, 2012, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Pete at Home
Member # 429

This condom ad is probably one of the most persuasive appeals that I've seen. Good targeting too.
TommySama
Member # 2780

quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
Boardwalk Empire strikes me as a show with incredible actors and fascinating characters, that deserve a faster moving story.

I think my favorite is Chalky White. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsFSCOkR22M

"Well... I ain't buildin' no bookcase."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zweq4ZabNd8&feature=BFa&list=PL67C14AE9667A48C7

[ October 23, 2012, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: TommySama ]

Pete at Home
Member # 429

Ouch.

Check out this mock preview for a "Dora the Explorer" movie. ROFL if you've ever had to endure the cartoon!

AI Wessex
Member # 6653

Political speech:

Obamabulate: To wander aimlessly

Mitty: A fictional character given to grand and elaborate fantasies

[ October 31, 2012, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: AI Wessex ]

AI Wessex
Member # 6653

Dang, it's "obambulate", not "obamabulate". Fingers, do your stuff!
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope most of you can enjoy Halloween. Young families have moved back into our neighborhood, so we see children riding bikes with training wheels in the cul-de-sac, and so expect a number of young visitors. And we are pleased to have my wife's sister with us this year - not so much that her flight back to New York got cancelled Tuesday thanks to the hurricane, but at least she will be able to greet the children. She phoned her monastery, forty miles or so north of New York City, and learned they had no damage - so some things are going right. Best to all of you.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

I live in an apartment complex full of children, and got about 5 knocks on my door, total. I think the tradition is rapidly dying out.

(I think the death blow was the invention of the "trunk or treat", otherwise known as "we'd rather just hand our own kid a bag full of candy, but we aren't ready to admit it".)

NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got all of two or three knocks. And didn't get many more than that last year.

My fiancé is worried that the neighbours were avoiding the house of the gays, but I'm pretty sure that trick-or-treating just isn't happening here the way it did when I was a kid.

On the plus side, I have a whole bunch of candy to dispose of. [Smile]

Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

- posted      Profile for G3   Email G3       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got very few as well. I think it's dying out too. People are too afraid of poisoning and whatever else might be in the candy given to their children by total strangers. Plus, it seems there are a lot more venues for Halloween celebrations now - schools, churches, youth groups, etc all seem to have something going on. That dilutes it quite a bit.
Posts: 2234 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

You live in a scary place (right, that's no surprise). Until last year I lived in a neighborhood where most of the houses saw 100 - 200 kids come. Parents are protective and prudent, but nobody I knew of was afraid their children were about to be poisoned by total strangers. How often has that happened in reality? Start here.
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not dying out here! We had the usual number of kids and "good" houses, including people who's power was out who simply brought the tiki torches out from the back yard and sat in front of their otherwise dark houses with their bowls of candy.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The change in the calendar which started the day at midnight rather than the previous sunset tended to separate popular celebrations of Halloween from the Christian feast day on November 1. And 19th century Halloween celebrations were sometimes very rowdy, with severe injuries and property damage. By the 1950s the celebration had been greatly tamed, and participation probably reached its high point.

The candy tampering reports were not entirely myths, as some children died. The newspaper columns by Dear Abby and Ann Landers warned parents of the danger of letting children take candy from strangers, and probably helped spread the fear. But it remained something like the fears of contracting bubonic plague from rodents, being attacked by a shark while swimming, or contracting rabies from an infected bat. These things happen, but an average person has a much greater chance of being struck by lightning or killed by a falling tree limb in a storm - and even those probabilities are infinitesimal compared to the dangers of fires, traffic accidents and so forth.

At a guess the effort by some Christian groups to stamp out Halloween celebrations also had some effect in the 80s. From Wikipedia:
quote:
Some Christians feel concerned about the modern celebration of Halloween, and reject it because they feel it trivializes – or celebrates – paganism, the occult, or other practices and cultural phenomena deemed incompatible with their beliefs.[85] A response among some fundamentalist and conservative evangelical churches in recent years has been the use of "Hell houses", themed pamphlets, or comic-style tracts such as those created by Jack T. Chick in order to make use of Halloween's popularity as an opportunity for evangelism.[82] Some consider Halloween to be completely incompatible with the Christian faith,[86] believing it to have originated as a pagan "Festival of the Dead".
Anyway our house got fifteen or so visitors last night, way down from the 45 or so we got in the 1970s, but well up from the single digit numbers I remember from the height of the scare campaigns. Back then local hospitals were offering to X-ray candy to detect foreign objects, but I have not heard of anyone taking such precautions for fifteen years or so. Today parents are more worried about tooth decay from the sugar, or encouraging obesity. Those fears are still rather unrealistic, for a celebration which happens one day a year, but forming a habit of celebrating happy occasions by pigging out on sugary treats could indeed be unhealthy.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

One of my neighbors used to let her kids eat as much of the candy as they wanted on Halloween night after they had made their rounds. The stipulation was that after they went to bed she was going to throw the rest of it out. Man, did they pig out and get sick doing that. After a couple of years they kind of lost interest [Wink] .

We were different. I loved to sit quietly nearby and watch my kids and their friends gather around the dining room table making trades and piles, almost mimicking an adult poker game with their tells and bluffs. They all had the happy glow of winners in the end, too.

[ November 01, 2012, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: AI Wessex ]

TommySama
Member # 2780

My neighborhood has lots of kids, but my house doesn't have a sidewalk for them to walk on. So we just threw pumpkins at passing traffic.
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

The ghouls! First they took away your sidewalks, next year they'll take away your pumpkins, so you won't be able to get any candy at all [Eek!]
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hobsen, the last time I remember snopes weighing in on the topic, they said that the only documented cases of tampered candy were in fact targeted at specific children. No instances of serial killers passing out poisoned candy for their jollies.

They already took away my pumpkin. [Frown]

If by "took away," you mean "didn't deliver it free and already carved." Damned Tories.

Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 78 pages: 1  2  3  ...  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page