Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The self-reference game

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The self-reference game
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post humorous or contradictory instances of self-reference, as many as you like. The classic example is the Epimenides paradox which simplifies down to "This statement is false."

Yay, shifting truth values. But its a rather simple loop that is quite easily broken out of by sufficiently complex entities such as ourselves.

My current favorite is actually somewhat conditional. It's only funny as a non-sequiter.

"Why did you ask me that question out of the blue?"

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Self-reference
Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidB
Member # 3016

- posted      Profile for KidB   Email KidB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might only be a partial non sequiter, if it's only partially self-referential.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

That opens up all sorts of questions about degrees of reference and degrees of (er, how should I say this...) non-sequiterness?

This statement does not follow.

This is not a statement?

This not a sentence because it no verbs.

KidB
Member # 3016

- posted      Profile for KidB   Email KidB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes when I doubt myself, I wonder if I really should.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Individual Persona
Member # 6105

- posted      Profile for Individual Persona   Email Individual Persona   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even when I think positive I can't do it.
Posts: 340 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All those Elbonians are prejudiced.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone thinks I'm paranoid. Even you. Yes, you.

ADMIT IT!

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidB
Member # 3016

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary to take stock of what lies before us, and what will come after, we may find that it behooves us to measure the full breadth of our aspirations against the totality of our history, and thereby come to a full accounting of the endeavors of every citizen of this great nation of ours.
scifibum
Member # 945

I never post in discussion boards.
Mormegil
Member # 2439

- posted      Profile for Mormegil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't speak English.
Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<name>, I'm not addressing you.
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You're so vain.
You probably think this song is about you.
You're so vain,
I bet you think this song is about you.
Don't you? Don't you?"

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always lie.
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The self-recursive acronym GNU, which stands for "GNU not Unix"

-------------

and to adapt a Hofstadter one, consider the phrase:

when proceeded by its own quotation is a valid sentence

c.f.

"when proceeded by its own quotation is a valid sentence", when proceeded by its own quotation is a valid sentence.

-------------------

And my favourite flip-side of the "this sentence is false" type:

"this sentence is true" can be either true or false. (If you regard it as false, it is self-consistent).

Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some times I stop to think and forget to start again.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

This message can't be posted.
scifibum
Member # 945

The one thing you can be sure of is that nobody every really knows anything.
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

I don't know that.
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

I can't read.

You're reading me.

I am not the writer of me.

I'm not really a self aware sentence.

I am.

I like to pretend to be self aware and penguins.

The guy above me likes to pretend to be penguins?

I'm purple.

Wayward Son
Member # 210

Non cogito, ergo non sum.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page