Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Why don't you post on Ornery?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why don't you post on Ornery?
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When do you hold back or stay out of a discussion?

• I tend to avoid arguments about how to interpret global temperature data from various sources. I don't have much interest in trying to understand this data for myself, and nothing to contribute to the discussion. I tend to find alarmists on both sides unconvincing: I don't expect catastrophic climate change and I also don't expect economic collapse caused by tree huggers.
  • How things are going in Iraq or Afghanistan or what's important in Iran or Pakistan or Venezuela or any number of other places. I find keeping up with domestic issues pretty challenging, let alone foreign affairs. Maybe my problem is I don't have a trusted expert whose opinions I can just parrot. [Wink] [That's a semi-serious concern I have: do those who talk as if they know what they're on about actually have enough data and expertise to analyze foreign affairs, or are they just trusting their chosen experts? I find those discussion bewildering because I don't know who to believe.]
  • Interpreting the Constitution. I think there are good arguments for strict, traditionalist readings, and also for judicial interpretation that some conservatives think is out of line. I find these discussions interesting but I don't have much to say.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when do I not post?

Money/economics- When I've already 'done that' in another thread, and the same people are asking the question which means they didn't soak in the concepts last time or they don't believe my data anyway.

Global warming- i think the evidence for straight pollution-harmful-to-humans is ten times more effective.

Origin of earth/man- The discussion avoids touching the real issue- whether or not there is a God, and I am certain God will not make proving or unproving Him possible using nature-- so it becomes a dumb question/moot point.

[ November 07, 2008, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Global warming- i think the evidence for straight pollution-harmful-to-humans is ten times more effective.
Hear, hear! [Big Grin]
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Money/economics- When I've already 'done that' in another thread, and the same people are asking the question which means they didn't soak in the concepts last time or they don't believe my data anyway.
I would never have guessed you refrain from posting on this at every opportunity. I suppose now I know what your idea of restraint on this subject looks like. [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
scifi- I also hope that the Ornerians can process some data themselves. But I'll never know, unless I sit back and listen a bit.
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTDT
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because an alarmingly high percentage of my posts tend to be the last ever on that thread.

Which I have now probably done to this one . . . sigh.

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There, there, Clark.

[Wink]

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have absolutely zero self restraint when it comes to Ornery, or just when I'm talking too. I say or write whatever comes to mind, obviously [Wink]

Clark I've noticed that about myself as well. But then again, I would hate to be the guy who wanted to top comments along these lines:

quote:
I for one hope Obama holocausts the evangelicals, mormons, and just christians in general. Praise Allah!

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Promise me never to use a noun as a verb. Promise it!!
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Love. My friend and I are working on a revolutionary new language, encoded in the "DouDick". And verbatizing nouns is an important part of the syntax!
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Pace
Member # 1493

- posted      Profile for D Pace   Email D Pace       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one welcome our new insect pverlords.
Posts: 376 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TommySama:
I have absolutely zero self restraint when it comes to Ornery, or just when I'm talking too. I say or write whatever comes to mind, obviously [Wink]

Clark I've noticed that about myself as well. But then again, I would hate to be the guy who wanted to top comments along these lines:

quote:
I for one hope Obama holocausts the evangelicals, mormons, and just christians in general. Praise Allah!

Ditto -- I always feel as if I'm a thread killer.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

MUGNA!

na, I'm the thread killer

Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll steer clear of serious economics discussions, because they tend to be rather dry. I've also given up on making any serious effort in threads about global warming, because it's always the same people using the same data to argue the same points, and nobody ever budges. If I wanted to be a serious participant in them, I could just copy-and-paste old comments from other posters that I agree with, and nobody in the global warming threads would notice because they're so used to seeing the same points repeated ad nauseum anyway [Smile]
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

ECON, DRY?

hell, baby, it's the money under all the other talkin' that does the decidin

KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to stay out of abortion threads and threads I've commented on a jillion times.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Funean:
Promise me never to use a noun as a verb. Promise it!!

You just had to come and Funean all over our party, didn't you?
Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who thinks that"Mugna" sounds like some sort of super-villain? Maybe it's just the similarity to "Mumra," but still…

Edited to add: I swear that if you guys all go silent so that I'm the last one to post on a thread full of complaints about thread-killing, I'm going to do something everyone will regret.

[ November 08, 2008, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Jordan ]

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, "mugna" sounds like some sort of Danish pasta.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locus
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Locus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ming of Mongo stuck in your subconscious?
Posts: 678 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
Am I the only one who thinks that"Mugna" sounds like some sort of super-villain? Maybe it's just the similarity to "Mumra," but still…

Edited to add: I swear that if you guys all go silent so that I'm the last one to post on a thread full of complaints about thread-killing, I'm going to do something everyone will regret.

I see Mugna more as a Homsar to Munga's Homestar Runner myself.
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Partly time is an issue. Partly its because often I have posted copious content on the issue at hand previously. Partly it is because some segment of Ornery knows what I have said before.

But mostly it is simply due to an aversion of hostility. Unless I spend the time creating a spoon fed post such as the one I did on FISA, I get routinely dismissed as a right wing hack incapable of making any factual arguments. And while some of my more prolific denouncers seem incapable of little more than cat calls or pasting some pundit's text, let alone sitting down and actually developing and exposing their own personal creation of thought to public scrutiny, the numbers of serious posts that represent serious personal effort by the membership across the entire spectrum have certainly declined.

The environment here is still better than almost anywhere else. And new members like munga have certainly brought fresh ideas to debate. But the urge to engage everyone fully just doesn't hit me much anymore.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

Jordan- the mugna thing just gives me a little kick because it rattles cperry, who was unwise enough to tell me so.

On reds thoughts---

I've also given up on winning the internet, somewhat. But still, I think I've tried to inject a certain kind of analysis to debates- the economic dynamic that supports all other action- in the hope that people will consider this important dimension all by themselves, IRL.

[ November 08, 2008, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

Individual Persona
Member # 6105

- posted      Profile for Individual Persona   Email Individual Persona   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I don't post because these days I'm almost always looking at this forum at a time of night when I'm just too lazy to put my words down. This didn't use to be the case. When I first started here I snuck on at work a lot, always finding the great debate to be more important than auditing...but not so much now.

Now, it's more about reading a couple threads and getting a sandwich instead of making myself visible. Now that the election is decided I'll probably see more threads I feel like participating in.

Posts: 340 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stormghost
Member # 853

- posted      Profile for stormghost   Email stormghost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I joined a long time ago, and used to read many of the threads with interest and sometimes I replied. Work commitments and my own writing kept my participation level low, but I still drove to Ohio one year to one of msquared's Ornerycons, which I enjoyed.

Over time, I found that very often contrary opinions were treated with more derision than serious consideration, and many members seemed to delight in simply scoring points off each other, so I withdrew. I prefer more civility in my civil discourse.

Nowadays, I check the forum almost daily to see if there's an interesting thread, but mostly I see the same topics and titles, the same hype and hyperbole, the same venomous attacks and vile accusations over and over and over again. It's like watching reruns on television: it's not as entertaining as it once was.

Best regards,
G

Posts: 237 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I post less often now because I feel like I don't have the time to a) craft a thoughtful and researched response, or b) commit to defending my thoughts once posted. I feel bad doing drive-by's.

I would like to post more on the SSM topics, but honestly, I am generally put off by the tone of them. I get really sick of the knee-jerk accusations of bigotry being tossed about (it's something that often makes me feel less sympathetic to SSM, although that I know that is an irrational response). I feel the same way about all partisan stereotyping, but in SSM discussions it generally seems inevitable. And since no one wants to hear me preach on how I feel about that, I'll just keep my mouth shut.

I don't post on current military events because, well, I know stuff you guys don't (or at least might not), and I don't feel comfortable talking about. And while it would probably be fine, I'm avoiding all possibility of FFMIA prison! [Smile]

Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying not to post in response to deliberately provactive responses these days. Some topics are outside of my sphere of knowledge. I wipe out a lot of things before posting too.
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only time I deliberately refrain from posting is when I want to start a new topic but one that I started is still on the first page. I feel that having too many of your own topics on the first page makes you look desperate for attention.
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page