Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » How Soon Before China Rules the World?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Soon Before China Rules the World?
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean if Americans don't get off our lazy butts and lop off the head of corruption?

What happens once economically they don't "need" us anymore?

Will this mean that Communism was superior to Capitalism?

How do you say; Good morning boss! in Cantonese?

The way things are going I don't see how they don't pass us eventually unless we use nukes on them? Korea taught us we can't fight a human wave no matter how many bullets we have. Or rather it taught us that they will happily send their people in human waves into our machine guns till out barrels melt down. Thank God for Mac Arthur and the Marines.

I know it's down the road but China still scares me more than Iran. They don't value human life the way we do and I don't say that to disparage them I say it in military terms, and as a prelude to a question; can we be allies with them given our different value systems?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Will this mean that Communism was superior to Capitalism?"

No, it will only mean that one kind of idealism and sound economic policy prevails over another kind of idealism and recessive economic policy.

Chinese inject liquidity upon the indicator of inflation. It's why they are kicking our asses in every fricken direction.

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is something that worries me, too, KE. I'm a little pessimistic concerning our potential to act. Odds are we aren't gonna fight until and unless they overtly attack us. We just don't have the will to conquer. Personally, this matches my own view of war ie: defensive war is the only justifiable war. But with China as the economic powerhouse, I'm not too thrilled with our future.

Odds are, imho, that even when China stops "needing" us, they'll still like to sell to us. Our military is nothing to be laughed at so I figure we'll be the well fed old coot that lays around wondering what happened to his sovereignty and all the other nations he used to play with.

That is, unless the UN gets its act together (unlikely considering China's position in that organization).

We're just too damn tolerant, but I wouldn't change that for the world.

[ November 18, 2008, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: caladbolg1125 ]

Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are never going to attack us. We are their number one customer.
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caladbolg1125
Member # 3666

- posted      Profile for caladbolg1125   Email caladbolg1125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're all the number for it.
Posts: 615 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevarooni
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for Stevarooni   Email Stevarooni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
I mean if Americans don't get off our lazy butts and lop off the head of corruption?

You mean literally lop off the head? 'Cause that's what China does, to varying durations of effectiveness.
quote:

Just how Communist is China, these days?
quote:
Korea taught us we can't fight a human wave no matter how many bullets we have. Or rather it taught us that they will happily send their people in human waves into our machine guns till out barrels melt down.

Ah, I was going to say! 'Cause the reason that North Korea wasn't defeated wasn't because we couldn't (though it wouldn't been much more expensive and painful) but rather that President Eisenhower held to the 38th Parallel.
quote:
I know it's down the road but China still scares me more than Iran. They don't value human life the way we do and I don't say that to disparage them I say it in military terms, and as a prelude to a question; can we be allies with them given our different value systems?

They don't value individual lives as we do, but they do appear to value order. I do agree that their values are different than our own, but they aren't exactly prone to chaos, either.
Posts: 536 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NSCutler
Member # 1403

- posted      Profile for NSCutler   Email NSCutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chinese communism was just a flash in the historical pan. This is the culmination of a long term plan started by a group of Chinese bureaucrats a couple days after Marco Polo showed up.

"So, how can we work this to our advantage?"

"Well, how about we convince them to represent wealth with paper, then a few centuries later, once the practice has spread, convince them that it is the paper that is actually worth something, rather than the wealth."

"You don't really think they're that stupid, do you?"

"We'll just have to wait and see. We're good at waiting. Them, not so much."

Posts: 789 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

How you figure? China ain't been communist in a long while. I was an economic disaster as long as it was.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
China has too great a population, a lot of exhausted soil, a shortage of natural resources, and serious contamination and pollution problems caused by short term planning and general lawlessness. The melamine scandal represents only the first of many to follow. The country has made huge strides since World War II, but the United States still has many more natural advantages. Germany expected to rule the world in the 30s, and Japan in the 80s, and where are they now? China does have more to work with, but that does not mean it has a smooth path to world domination.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
早晨好上司!
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stevarooni:

Just how Communist is China, these days? [/QB][/QUOTE]

According to their constitutional preamble, at least 80% communist.

Of course, each successive leader of China has, before the end of his regime, added another paragraph to the constitutional preamble, some of which actually redefine communism [Big Grin]

So to answer KE's question:

quote:
One might say yes, since they will write the history books, and communism and capitalism will mean whatever they say it means.

quote:
Originally posted by RickyB:

How you figure? China ain't been communist in a long while.

Oh, so now words are supposed to mean something to Ricky? [Big Grin]
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How do you say; Good morning boss! in Cantonese?"

你好!我同意。美国人最近越来越胖,不聪明。所 197;中国现在是老板。

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page