Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Rules of Ornery

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rules of Ornery
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is different from the pinned thread of similar name. It's an attempt to catalogue the descriptive, rather than proscriptive, rules of how people behave on Ornery.

Add to the list. Please do not make this personal*. It's supposed to be fun. [Smile]

[1] If it exists, disagreement about it can be found.
[2] The data is never unassailable - someone will assail it.
[3] There is negative correlation between predictions of personal victory in incipient debates and actual victory.
[4] There is negative correlation between rate of thread growth and rate of thread progress.
--[4a] Exception: "Fun" threads.

I'll stop there and see what else people can add.

*I very, very rarely whistle any post, but if this one goes personal I'm going to ask to have it locked. [Smile]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevarooni
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for Stevarooni   Email Stevarooni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[5] Rule 34 stands, but in a darkened corner not exposed to most discussions.
Posts: 536 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing personal? That's, like, all the rules I can think of off the top of my head! They should call you meaniebum. [Frown]
Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[6] You don't talk about Ornery.
[7] You don't talk about Ornery.
[8] When someone says stop, or leaves a thread, even if he's just faking it, the debate is over.
[9] Only two guys to a fight.
[10] One fight at a time.
[11] They fight without shirts or shoes.
[12] The threads go on as long as they have to.
[13] If this is your first post at Ornery, you have to fight.

[ November 19, 2008, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: G2 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

[14] You can't talk about rule 14
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more important a thread you opened is to you, the quicker it will be derailed.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more important a thread you opened is to you, the quicker it will be derailed....by humor and sarcasm that makes the thread 10x more entertaining. [Wink]
Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I'm sorry I introduced numbering already. (But thanks for the extended Fight Club reference joke, all the same, G2...I guess I'm not mad you used up numbers 6 thru 13...grumble)

Jordan: I will answer to meaniebum. You're on warning for introducing what sounded suspiciously like a rule about what they should call me, though. [Wink]

Ev's is 15, Daruma's is corollary 15a

15b: Corollary: The number of pages in a thread is proportional to the number of required rails.

[16] Thread-specific rules are perceived as challenges.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was Ricky, not Ev.

Ev's rule would be...

...nevermind, by writing what I was thinking, I would be in violation of Ornery's "REAL" rules...

[Wink]

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think G2's fight club rules would actually remedy more than anything else proposed. Two persons to a fight without supplemental vultures would reduce the scale and duration of a lot of quarrels.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

Sorry for the misattribution. [Embarrassed]
scifibum
Member # 945

Pete, these are supposed to be descriptive rules, not proscriptive. Anyway, I think you could use email for the "two to a fight" rule. I don't see that as very useful rule for this discussion format. You could also have fighting blogs, Locke-Demosthenes style, if you needed to limit the distractions. [Smile]
Daruma28
Member # 1388

quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
Actually, I think G2's fight club rules would actually remedy more than anything else proposed. Two persons to a fight without supplemental vultures would reduce the scale and duration of a lot of quarrels.

And while you would enjoy such rules immensely, the rest of us that enjoy the train wrecks that are the PAH SSM threads would invariably die of boredom....
[Razz]

Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Pete, these are supposed to be descriptive rules, not proscriptive.
OK, well here's a rule that describes how some folks operate, and perscribes it for others: [Razz]

If you're going to break the rules to attack someone, at least be creative about it, lest you insult all readers by wasting their time. Don't let your potential last words on Ornery be some mindless everyday insult.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

If you're going to break the rules to attack someone, at least be creative about it, lest you insult all readers by wasting their time. Don't let your potential last words on Ornery be some mindless everyday insult.

That's much better than your first suggestion! [LOL]

Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know who we need on this thread? Cherry, that's who. Also pickledshuttlecock, who I miss dreadfully.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

I miss pickled too.
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes read "Mr Writing Person" to remind me of what we've lost. I particularly liked his little "quantum mechanics" spoof of the creationism/evolution debate.

Rule [succ(n)]: the probability of a suspension at a given time is directly proportional to the number of SSM threads started in the last week.

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:

You should be. At least for doing it in public.

KE

Jordan
Member # 2159

KE, you made me misread that. [Eek!]
vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

<grump>

I've been been supplemental, or increases the scale or duration of a quarrel. I'm the very embodiment of a thread-killer.

</grump>
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

[LOL] I don't think Pete was being that specific, vulture!
scifibum
Member # 945

quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:

You should be. At least for doing it in public.

KE

*wonders how deep that joke goes* (don't ask)

[frickever] If no one at Ornery agrees with you, you're on to something, except when you're on something.

[ November 20, 2008, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: scifibum ]

cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any thread that has been derailed can be rerailed, but it ain't easy.

It's better to be wrong than to be boring, as long as your heart is in the right place and you really believe it.

No matter who is right and who is wrong, you're bound to learn something every now and then.

Rules/Observations

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by vulture:
quote:

<grump>

I've been been supplemental, or increases the scale or duration of a quarrel. I'm the very embodiment of a thread-killer.

</grump>
[Big Grin]

Aw damnit, that's the second time I've done that to you, vulture. I need some other metaphor. maggots? Crows? No, not clearly predatory.

Perhaps I should switch metaphors. Dogpile ... and the supplementals being puppies that hop on to hump the legs of the main combattants?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page