Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » OSC Book signing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OSC Book signing
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OSC will be in my town in early Sept. doing a book signing for Shadow Puppets. It will be at the same book store where his past two signings in town have been. I plan on being there and asking him if he ever read Ornery etc. Anything you folks want me to ask?

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...

Does he realize he has religious zealots, communists and fascists chumming around famously on his pet project? Or did he assume only Republicans would visit?

Also who the heck does his shoddy research? I mean come on if hes lazy he could ask letterip to send him background links.

In all honesty I just wonder if he is pleased with how the fourm has developed.

GDL

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for seagull   Email seagull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I plan on being there and asking him if he ever read Ornery etc.

Great question. I'd love to know what he answers.

quote:
Anything you folks want me to ask?

Who is sja? ( Does OSC delete threads on this forum? )

[This message has been edited by seagull (edited August 06, 2002).]

Posts: 1910 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denelian
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for Denelian   Email Denelian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, Redskull...you forgot feminists <G>

okay, it was a joke....

hey, msquared... i DO have a favor to ask (because i have met you and trust you)

if i send you money to by "Shadow Puppets" will you get it and have him sign it for me at the event.

or maybe i should just come and visit and go with you it depends on WHAT day he is signing of course...

lemme know, kay?

Posts: 1139 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Den,

Posting from Las Vegas here. Only down $8 at the slots.

Den, I will get you the exact date when I get back home. It is the first week of Sept.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denelian
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for Denelian   Email Denelian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, here is my advice...

WALK AWAY FROM THE SLOTS!!

go over to Circus Circus and play the games on the second floor (think "faire")

its alot more fun and you get more for your money <G>

Posts: 1139 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denelian
Member # 531

are you back yet??? its almost september...and i don't know when i am making a road trip to dayton....

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO

<G> gee...sleep dep....

msquared
Member # 113

Den,

I am back. The book signing is Thursday Sept. 5 at 7:00pm in Kettering. If you turn right off the exit you took getting to my house instead of left, you would get to the place in about 10 minutes. E-mail me on how you want to do this. I can either get the book for you or if you want to come down and we can have the Ohio division of Ornery there to greet OSC is up to you.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Falken224
Member # 684

- posted      Profile for Falken224     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are lucky. I attended a week-long writing workshop he taught just back in July. It was a great experience, and my writing is/will be much better for it. But in all the chaos, confusion and just general lack of time, I COMPLETELY forgot to have him sign any of my books.

*sigh* I guess I'll just have to wait 'till he comes to Idaho. Yeah RIGHT!

-Nate

Posts: 340 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Nathan   Email Nathan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to OSC's book signing in Nashville on Aug. 29, any other Ornerians have the same plans?
Posts: 49 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rogerroger
Member # 759

- posted      Profile for rogerroger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nathan,
Time, and place por favor? I'm in the Music City on business that date, perhaps I can Play hookey.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SillyCon Man
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for SillyCon Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just attended his signing here in Santa Cruz, and he stated that if you get his (publisher's?) address at the Hatrack site, you can send him books you want signed and he will sign and send them back.

Might beat the two and a half hours I stood in line.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

Silly,

Welcome to the site.

That is why I show up early, get a line number and then go get dinner. This will be my third book signing by OSC. I have Ender's Shadow and Enchantment already signed.

msquared

Nathan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Nathan   Email Nathan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rogerroger,

6:30 p.m. (Thurs., Aug. 29) at the Davis-Kidd on Hillsboro Road.

see the OSC Calendar of Appearances for the full schedule and address.

Let me know if you plan to show up.

--Nathan

[friggin' UBB code]

[This message has been edited by Nathan (edited August 22, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Nathan (edited August 22, 2002).]

Posts: 49 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

Eddie,

He is quite polite and congenial in person. Just like you would think he would be. He can also be passionate about what he believes. He stays until every one who has a book to be signed has the book signed. He will sign as many books as you want, but he may want you to go through the line a second time if you have a large quantity. He will personalize the signing. I have found him to be very generous as he knows that we, his fans, are the ones that pay the bills.

msquared

Denelian
Member # 531

Mark -

i have decided, even if i must go to dayton by myself, i will be there...

i will meet you at 5:30 or 6, if that is alright with you

i don't have to be at work until midnight <G>

and it will be okay if i bring two books with me (giving me a total of three to be signed?)

whoo-hoo!!! lol

msquared
Member # 113

Eddie,

Do you mean they recognized your handel from the board here? Or did you know them from some place else?

msquared

msquared
Member # 113

Question for the group.

As most of you know I had the first annual OrneryCon at my house this past June. I was thinking of going to a local T-shirt shop and having a T-shirt made up with some type of OrnerCon logo and wear it to the book signing.

Thoughts?

msquared

Luny
Member # 649

- posted      Profile for Luny   Email Luny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Den, if you're getting three books, who gets the other one?? So Mark, I guess we're gonna pick the kid up from school and head out to your place. You don't mind if she brings tag alongs do you? I promise not to make any other plans this time. My poor planning last time, sorry.

As far as the tee-shirt idea goes, any idea how it would look?

Posts: 176 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denelian
Member # 531

T-shirts are good

and Luny, i was going to BRING books with me!

silly

Luny
Member # 649

- posted      Profile for Luny   Email Luny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOOOOHHHHHH!

Forgive me, lack of sleep with the whole preterm labor bit.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denelian
Member # 531

YOU'RE telling ME?!?!?!?!

PLUS my mother!!!

anyone wanna 18+ infant?? $50, and i'll throw in another signed copy of an OSC book

msquared
Member # 113

Only 4 more hours.

OSC spent the day at a local high school talking to english classes about writting. How cool is that.

I had my wife do a hand written invitation to next summers get together.(That way he could read it.)

msquared

Denelian
Member # 531

we can have my neice give it to him, Mark NO ONE can resist her!!!
Denelian
Member # 531

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!

OSC has the most awesome voice <G>

seriously, he was really cool (as Luny said, and 50 year old who says cool as much as OSC did IS cool

everyone who hasn't met him - LOSERS!!! hehehe

poor saps <EG>

msquared
Member # 113

First let me say that Mrs. Card is as nice and as classy as you would think the wife of OSC would be. She did recognize my screen name, as well as that of Luny and Den. I figured I would give her the invitation to the party.

Seceond, OSC does not read this site, she says, but they do get updated on the goings on here. Mrs. Card said that if OSC started to read here, he would want to start posting and would get no other work done. I can understand that.

If you ever get a chance to go to one of his book signings, do so, it is a pleasure. There may not be that many more. The only two reasons he gave for doing this one after he said he would not do anymore were this:
His wife was able to travle with him and he felt guilty that he was two months late with Shadow Puppets and owed the publisher a little something to make up for it.

msquared

Luny
Member # 649

I have to say that though I had to get talked into going, I had an absolutely wonderful time. It is one of the few times that I have been truly impressed with someone upon meeting them. Not to mention he's not nearly as stuffy as some other authors one might mention.
Nathan
Member # 683

I'll echo everything nice that's been said about Mr. Card (and Mrs. Card). I thoroughly enjoyed the book signing.

I post because I thought you guys might be interested in something Mr. Card said about this site. As he signed my book (with the generic "To Nathan- a friend of Ender.") I told him that as far as I could tell, I was the local representative of the Ornery Americans. After a few comments (like "it's good to know they're out there) he said this: "Well, as a movement, it's small... but it's right!" To which I responded, with great eloquence, "yep."

Okay, so maybe that's not particularly stirring or insightful, but I thought it was at least encouraging. There aren't many of us, but then what do we expect? At least we know we're doing the right thing--or at least striving toward the right ideal.

::shrug::
Nathan

Denelian
Member # 531

while OSC did indeed tease me about being a feminist (and the spelling of Denelian) he seemed interested in the fact that Marc Luny and I were Ornerians (is that right???)

maybe, if we get lucky, we can start a REAL movement (something that requires THINKING)

Luny
Member # 649

what you mean that just being on this site doesn't require thinking? Wow, I don't know what delusion I've been in but I seem to be doing a LOT of thinking lately.
Denelian
Member # 531

No, i meant fo the rest of the world

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page