Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Who are your favorite writers...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who are your favorite writers...
winkey151
Member # 2910

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on this board and why?
Posts: 865 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE- enthusiastic humanist, loves his family

KL- improbable word images

Funean- even-minded but not a make-peace push-over

Scifibum- he can pop my mormon assumptions behind the knee, facile communicator

Ricky- uhh....I used to absolutely hate him?

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'The skies clear and the stars shine wet and blinking like children come out of a bath.'

Line from a novel for which I just sent off my first submission today. I like it's simplicity.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fave posters:

the departed Richard Dey (rather like me in style but far more erudite)

TommySamma (sparks out of nowhere)

munga (intense questing pursuit of theme)

funean (impeccable construction and subtle tropes)

flydye (incessant hammering of a receding point)

DaveS (I stole some fine tropes/concepts from him)

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] @ Mrs. Gungadin

I'll answer later.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Redskull - he is too smart to post here every day, but when he does he says it better than anyone else I agree with.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like everybody!

*pops munga behind the knee* Take that Mormon! (thx)

Seriously, there are very few posters here whose posts I don't like to read. If you don't see your handle here I probably still like you. (I just know how important that must make you feel. [Wink] )

Incisive: NSCutler, Mariner, TomD.
Bombastic: Daruma, cherry, Ron Lambert
Likeable: Funean, KE, Storm, Omega
Thoughtful: hobsen, 0megabyte
Wow they can construct an argument: seekingprometheus, Paladine
Glad to see them stop in: winkey, scouser
"Some of my friends are Canadian!": all ya'll
Mental exercise, delicious frustration: munga
Adult Swim: TommySama
Kentness: Kent

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winkey151
Member # 2910

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks... Now I know who's posts to read. [Big Grin]
Posts: 865 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard Dey - Didn't realize how much I enjoyed his posts until he stopped posting

Vulture - He only posts twice a year, but he's probably the smartest guy here

Redskull - Half the time I don't know if he's really serious about some of the things he says, but he certainly is very persuasive

Paladine - My only ally on the legal threads

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky, ScifiBum and KE pretty much all the time

Like Cherry a lot personally. usually hate his politics ditto to a lesser degree Redskull and Paladine (lesser degre on disliking the politics, not the persona)

Munga has a nice vision for the world but I am too cynical to believe in it

Strangely, I often agree with Daruma but I'm glad I caught him as a libertarian not a Bu****e.

Tommy is fun

And I like almost all of the rest of you (yes including you Flyde)

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Viking, you think that munga isn't cynical?!?!

Bwaahahhahaahaha!

Scifibum, thanks for appreciating my Kentness; my mom will be glad to hear I've made a friend.

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm finding it very funny that the program caught the s*h*i*t in Bu s*h*i*t e, because I happen to agree with the computer program.
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lessee...

Kenmeer - far and above most multi-level entertaining writer here with a core of command of subject where you rarely feel totally derailed into sheer clownery.

Ev - for the facts, and the persistent yet still illuminating viewpoint. Also for the baseball interludes. I enjoy those.

KE - For the core decency and the cut through bull**** (most of the time anyways).

Daruma - for the fighting spirit and the invaluable insight into the mind of the befooled well-read on tin-foil broadsheets. [Smile]

Cherry - for the recurring flashes of a bedrock of decency underneath the yahoo ignorance.

Viking - fine writing, knows stuff nobody else here does on an important part of the world. Funny guy when he chooses.

KidB - great writer, unique viewpoint on various stuff.

damn. there are just too many. This isn't fair at all. I'ma do this in installments.

Oh, Tommy - funny, funny punk. In the scary smart cyber meaning of the word punk.

0meg - a more serious and introspective version of Tommy [Smile]

Flydye and Paladine - best conservative writing, and they both know a bunch of interesting stuff to make their thinking and writing nice and layered.

Honorable mention in that category:
Kent, Mariner, and I know I'm forgetting one or two.

Funean - cause her spouse might get jealous if I elaborate. [Big Grin]

Opsanus Tau - great writing, funny, consistent yet always illuminating.

munga - cause she's good people. Jus' mentally irregular in cute kinda way.

scifi - always comes off as fair even when agreeing with me (which usually means being pretty far off from center)

hobsen - makes fair and objective seem both serious and actually doable.

More later.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

Damn, I'm never credited with being right.

Oh well, I enjoy the journey and the friends.

elk
Member # 6369

- posted      Profile for elk   Email elk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
many of the above with attached reasons and

munga - helps me to understand why her dead wrong views aren't always wrong or dead.

[edited to add: hey, I just looked above and this is almost crediting you with being right munga]

[ February 10, 2009, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: elk ]

Posts: 112 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

wwwwwwwwwhooooooohoooooooooooo!
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

"you rarely feel totally derailed into sheer clownery. "

I shall work to change that. Didn't realize I was slighting the clown aspect. Dey rolls over in his grave!

Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.poetryporch.com/rdbio.html

pretty sure thats him. If so, not dead yet!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

Ok,

KE: very experienced, smart, a veteran of Ornery, very handsome to boot [Smile]

KL: you are just too hillarious for your own good. You keep me very entertained, but in a very good way [Smile]

Munga: I really wish you were my mam! Very strong lady, love it.

RickyB: you diss my team, I bust ya chops, I diss your team, ya know how it goes, but I love ya for it [Smile]

Tommy: you is craaaazy! Hehe. The only person who has friends that are disappointed you ended your engagement to your best friend. Weird. [LOL]
We had altercations on here when I first started posting, but now your a little ray of sunshine with your little quirks.

Jesse: I liked you with a baldy head, keep it man! [Razz] Some of your one liners are just classic! Have you ever thought of being a motivational speaker? I think you would be fantstic at that [Smile]

DJQuagg (if your still here [Smile] ): we are both from the same neck of the woods, but some of your views and topics in the past have been an insight to me and have changed the way I look at things.

And to everyone else, and including everyone else i've mentioned, you are all what make Ornery a place to come back to. Like a second home, a place to vent, unwind, relax. And I love it.

msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a name for the old members.

Kentukian

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

I miss that dude.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

That's him, I think, and that's about a 12 year old site, last modified in 2004.

I wasn't convinced it was him (despite the many alignments) until I found this passage:

"I know the sun’s up there and not
that cold white disc only, knifing
in and out of the fog, ghostly.
I know there are real islands out
beyond these mud flats looking like islands,
that the air is clear, unremarked
by these groaning horns, damn clanging gongs.
I should have been an astronaut."

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page