Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Why do you care what an idiot thinks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why do you care what an idiot thinks?
Quinnalus
Member # 6374

- posted      Profile for Quinnalus   Email Quinnalus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The statement that forms the title for the thread has prompted me to ask... Why do the collective You post at Ornery?

Several threads ago I myself gave the following reasons:

quote:
... Let me explain... I live in an area of the United States that I love deeply... however, the majority of the conversation in this area revolves from the correct viscosity of "cheese grits" to the merrits of Nick Sabin and over Tommy Tuberville. So I found Ornery...

[edited to remove content unnesseccary to the curent post]

I will admit that it is intimidating to post here... The majority of Your (collective) comments are well thought out and even more surprisingly... those comments are well researched and supported.

Are you seeking intelligent banter? ...to be heard? ...a podium for demagoguery? ...to change peoples minds? ...to broaden your own thinking?

Regardless, the question remains... "Why do you post on Ornery?" or if you do not post regularly... "Why do you come here to read what is posted?"

Posts: 177 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well sometimes you wana go where everybody knows your name, or at least your handle. [Smile]

I get to talk politics here, try out ideas, get the benefit of other people's knowledge. Not sure I am looking to broaden my thinking, but ocassionally that happens anyway.

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and man I would love some cheese grits!
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care what an idiot thinks, but I do care what an idiot _with influence_ espouses. [Smile]

As to Ornery, I come for many of the reasons listed. And, while I do argue with ummm... "idiots" from time to time, it's the idea that I'm usually arguing with, the so-called idiot just comes along for the ride. [Wink]

So, when I argue here, its an idiotic idea with potential influence that I typically argue against.

Ed.

Edited for clarity.

[ January 17, 2009, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: EDanaII ]

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psudo
Member # 6403

- posted      Profile for Psudo   Email Psudo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why do you care what an idiot thinks?
Because idiots vote. =]

Also because there is something worse than arguing with idiots: realizing the idiot was right and you were wrong. I'd rather get those kinds of mistakes out of my thinking while I'm still an anonymous nobody. That way, when I'm rich and famous and powerful, I'll be brilliant too. =]

Posts: 229 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically what Psudo said. This is an exceptional place to argue with (usually) polite people who will intelligently challenge your assertions and assumptions, often with well-researched information. I find this a great place to test my ideas and preconceptions, to see if they are as strong as I suppose.

'Cause if they ain't, they're gonna be shot down here like a glider over a Russian military base. [Smile]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say, I post here, and read here, because it really is an interesting group of people who I've grown fond of.

Sometimes, no, a lot of times, I disagree with people here. However, for example. Daruma makes me think about subjects I normally would feel settled. Flydye, cherry, and all the others whose views are different than mine, though I do disagree, and sometimes even get a little hostile, are people who I feel better off hearing, because they're generally intelligent, even when they're being belligerent. 'Course, people who agree with me are just as belligerent.

The group has shifted over the years, but I still care about them. And I get most of my news here. When it comes to political opinion, I place my trust here over CNN any day.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a regular poster anymore, but I stop by now and then because there are interesting ideas. And, in part, because for the most part I know and like the people here - it's a nice little community.

I also like Ornery because I want to understand how peope come to their viewpoints. Someday I plan to twist all these insights to my own devious purposes...

Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elk
Member # 6369

- posted      Profile for elk   Email elk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devious purposes? Like using political cartoons to brainwash the masses into buying your personal brand of celery flavored frozen yogurt?
Posts: 112 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elk
Member # 6369

- posted      Profile for elk   Email elk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read (a post to a far lesser extent) here because the arguments and insights are some satisfying combination of well thought out, well researched, unique, and most importantly ridiculed.
Posts: 112 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psudo
Member # 6403

- posted      Profile for Psudo   Email Psudo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Someday I plan to twist all these insights to my own devious purposes...
Oh, yes. I forgot to mention my intent to use all the knowledge I attain here to someday rule as Hegemon of all humanity.
Posts: 229 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Are you seeking intelligent banter? ...to be heard? ...a podium for demagoguery? ...to change peoples minds? ...to broaden your own thinking?
I think with me it's a type of obsessive compulsive disorder.
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My motives have evolved.

I guess I want to persuade as many as I can to engage themselves in their communities in ways that are economically sustainable (i.e. everyone gets to keep on living and prospering).

I am the Anne of Green Gables of Economics.

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Devious purposes? Like using political cartoons to brainwash the masses into buying your personal brand of celery flavored frozen yogurt?
I'm starting to think about getting involved in politics, as I become more libertarian and more concerned about the viability of a libertarian party.

Celery flavored frozen yogurt is an idea too, though...

Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 682

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'm getting paranoid--but I was relieved to discover this thread was not about me.
Posts: 2645 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quinnalus
Member # 6374

- posted      Profile for Quinnalus   Email Quinnalus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Careful, Ron, Nobody's started talking about God/god yet...
Posts: 177 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elk
Member # 6369

quote:
I'm starting to think about getting involved in politics, as I become more libertarian and more concerned about the viability of a libertarian party.

Celery flavored frozen yogurt is an idea too, though...

Well let me know how that works out. I'd travel pretty much anywhere to get a sample. So in a way, I have a slight hope that you fail at politics and get into the frozen yogurt business (likely failing there too if you attempt to develop flavors of that variety). I'm sorry for that.
Quinnalus
Member # 6374

Elk,

Thought this might be the place to peddle your Celery flavored yogurt... If these guys can sell Cucumber Flavored Soda then you ought to sell the Yogurt like gang busters...

Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just here to say I told you so.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 682

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite all the Harry Potter movies, no one has yet started to market pumpkin juice. At least not around here.

[ January 20, 2009, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 2645 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name.
And they're always glad you came...

It beats the hell out of hanging out at the local watering hole. That and therapy.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that's the best part of Mormon establishments. You don't have to buy drinks all the time just to hang around. [Smile]

[ January 20, 2009, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Wayward Son ]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 682

What do you have to buy? [Wink]

[ January 20, 2009, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
magic underwear!
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Despite all the Harry Potter movies, no one has yet started to market pumpkin juice. At least not around here.

I think I found it here.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Q: Why do you care what an idiot thinks?

A: I think therefore I am.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page