Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Laser eye surgery?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Laser eye surgery?
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had this done? I think I'd be a good candidate, and I do look better without glasses. But I'm just too damn chicken. Someone told me that they actually cut into your eyeball with a knife... is this true?

Any thoughts on this?

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a quick call to our mutual friend D.Z. would clear up some misconceptions... it's worked out for him great, if you're willing to shell out the bucks and deal with a few days of fuzzy vision as you recover.

One thing to bear in mind - there is a non-zero chance that it can go horribly wrong. It goes without saying, but don't let the guy in the back-alley with a laser-scalpel in his trenchcoat do it for you. [Smile]

[ January 27, 2009, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: JoshCrow ]

Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right, I forgot about D.Z.

Is this something I can buy a home kit for, or do you think I should stick with a professional? [Smile]

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had it done in 1997.
I could never wear contact lenses as I hated having to touch my eye so the laser eye surgery was a little nerve-racking. They can give you a sedative if you need one. That said I didn't feel anything and 24 hours after everything was great.
I’d recommend going in for a consultation and they will let you know which procedure will be best for you. They’ve come along way.

Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both hubby and I had our eyes lasik'd.

For John, the worst part was that they DIDN'T knock him out and he is overly sensitive about touching his eyes and neck (he saw a horror movie as a child that left a permanent mental scar) -- he should have been loopy at least but he wasn't.

For me, the worst was that it turned out that I am allergic to the topical anesthesia they used- I was barfing the next day.

But, really, there is one really really bad day (don't let them say, you MIGHT need pain killers, demand yours JUST IN CASE).

Since then, we've enjoyed goggles-free life. John said I looked instantly ten years dumber. And, I love seeing his huge, dark chocolate brown eyes all the time.

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend and I had it done about 5 years ago (Lasik, no knife used). I'm still 20/20 in both eyes, but my friend only got up to 20/80 in one eye and 20/20 in the other. Good enough not to need glasses though.

The whole procedure took less than two minutes.

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had it done about 8 months ago.

I got the "Intralase" procedure which involves no metal cutting tools. The flap in the cornea is created with a laser instead of a knife. In my case there were two different lasers. One to cut the flap - at which point I was blind, and had to stumble over to another table - and another to remove the corneal tissue under the flap to effect the vision correction. They captured it on video and I have watched my own surgery on our TV (human eyes magnified to fill a 25 inch screen are scary, btw, at least when they've been stretched wide open with clamps). In my case laying down on the flap cutting table to end of surgery took about eight minutes.

I had some discomfort akin to muscle soreness in both eyes for about a day, and an itchy feeling like an eyelash under my eyelid for about a month. No need for pain medication. The regimen of antibiotic & steroid drops involved some stinging but I only had to do those for a week or so. Then artificial tears for 4 or 5 months before I felt like my eyes were tearing normally again.

I was supposedly 20/15 as of my 3 month follow up, but I think I might have reset to 20/20 since then.

Don't let them kid you, you're going to have night vision issues. Most people do. They might fade over time, but you'll probably have stars, halos, or glare at night especially when driving. These are more pronounced with older equipment that doesn't customize the border of the corrected area to better merge with the outer rim of the cornea. Also, the more tissue they remove (the worse your initial vision) the worse the vision side effects. Luckily for me the night vision effects have faded and they're presently not much worse than the night vision issues I had with my glasses.

Be prepared for the first few months to feel like a lot more hassle than glasses or contacts ever were. But you'll get through them, and once you're off artificial tears it's pretty nice not to have to do anything to be able to see clearly.

Try not to sneeze when you're on the table. You'll actually smell (and maybe taste) the vaporized corneal tissue.

Have someone to baby you at home for the first day.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I'm not getting it is because of the night vision issues. I love my great night vision, even if otherwise it's not perfect. I'm waiting until I can't pass the driver's license test, and then I'll reconsider. Plus I'm hoping for the bionics.
Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

Uggh... I really like the idea of losing the glasses, but I'm just scared of all the side-effects... Still, it sounds like people are positive about it overall.
Lina Inverse
Member # 6361

- posted      Profile for Lina Inverse   Email Lina Inverse       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little scared of it, but I think I will get it once I'm old enough and can scrape up the money. My vision is horrifically bad; I'm something like -8.5 in both eyes [Frown]
Posts: 457 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
9/11 did it for us.

If we'd had to flee any incident, both John and I were at the mercy of our glasses. Which can be easily wrecked, flimsy things. We had four children and there was no way we were going to live with that risk when it was so avoidable.

we are both 20/20

[ January 27, 2009, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm waiting to see how it turns out combined with aging. I'm already mostly deaf and since lenses work fine for me I'm a bit terrified of messing with it. "Really blurry" is way better than "oopsie!"
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevarooni
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for Stevarooni   Email Stevarooni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Funean:
I'm waiting to see how it turns out combined with aging.

That's my take on it, too. By the time I'm 60, I imagine that that'll be long-term enough for me to decide.

[ January 27, 2009, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Stevarooni ]

Posts: 536 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My reason for not waiting is that I want a few years where I can see clearly. In 10 or 15, I'll most likely need reading glasses, unless I have one eye corrected for close vision while leaving the other as is. If I waited until then, I'd probably lack options for good near & far in both eyes.

Of course, in another decade or two they might have a solution for the hardened lenses that cause farsightedness in the aged anyway. Artificial lens implants already exist, and are used for cataract treatment. It looks like they're already advancing to flexible lenses with multiple focal range, so maybe this is already mostly solved. If we can regrow or recondition the natural lens then we'll really be talking.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had mine done 5-6 years ago. Had Lasik, knife cut for the flap, all the rest laser, including the tracking system. Best money my parents ever spent.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HawkeyeFM521
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for HawkeyeFM521   Email HawkeyeFM521   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't able to get the Lasik procedure done but I did get PRK. With PRK, there's no corneal flap. They scrub off the skin layer from your cornea and the laser removes the croneal material for your vision correction. The recovery time is longer but I still recommend it. As far as night vision issues go, I had my surgery about 2 years ago and the glare, halos, etc. have for the most part diminished.

The night vision side effect I did get and still am "afflicted" with is I can actually see better at night. I'm a little light sensitive because of the laser correction (which is common with all forms of laser vision correction) but it's not tha bad at all. It just takes me a few extra seconds to adjust to the light.

Over all, I am very happy that I got my vision corrected. I went from 20/400 in both eyes to 20/15 in my right eye and 20/12.5 in my left, results after I was tested 3 weeks after the procedure. Now, I'm about 20/15 in both eyes.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Hawkeye, I had PRK (because at the time, it was the only eye surgery the military allowed).

One of my clean contact lenses (to protect the raw cornea) fell out afterwards and I had to go get a new one put in the day after surgery. That was the only time it was really too painful, but it was easily resolved.

Two days after the surgery I had 20/20 vision and still do (this is almost five years later). No issues with night vision. 100% worth it in my book, although the risk of something going wrong is, of course, really scary.

Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

oh. that jogged my memory- John got Lasik and I got PRK, because I had damage on my lens that the they wanted to scrape off. My eye had gotten burned as a child by flying grease.

so, all good now.

Mormegil
Member # 2439

- posted      Profile for Mormegil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an eye check a few weeks ago. I asked the doctor about corrective laser surgery. She said there is a reason you don't mean any optometrists who have had it done. She wore contacts.
Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"My eye had gotten burned as a child by flying grease."

I first read that as flying geese...

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"My eye had gotten burned as a child by flying grease."

I just finished looking through some 'best opening senteces of novels' list, came here and saw the above, and was quite impressed.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

I believe you might be mocking me.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not. Incidentally, the novel I'm working on is extremely autobiographical although still very much a work of fiction. I run into a repeating problem. People read a section and say:

"Nice writing but you can't expect anyone to believe such a thing would happen."

These comments invariably refer to things which actually happened to me, told with no fictional embellishment other than name changes.

Reality sucks as an explanation of itself.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

[Smile]
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had Intra-ocular lens replacement surgery on both eyes back in 2004.

I had steroid-induced cataracts (from Advair asthma medication) and spent about 6 months with 20/400 vision - legally blind.

I guess that doesn't help this thread's topic, because it wasn't optional, and I didn't have any fear of going blind since I was practically there anyhow.

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

IN retrospect, being blind was probably an enlightening experience. One learns how to live without detailed sight. I would like a switch to make myself comfortably blind one day a week. It's be my Sabbath.
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:
IN retrospect, being blind was probably an enlightening experience. One learns how to live without detailed sight. I would like a switch to make myself comfortably blind one day a week. It's be my Sabbath.

True Ken...though I don't think I'd care to repeat the experience.

To this day, I excel at navigating spaces in absolute darkness without banging painfully into things. [LOL]

As a musician and music lover, I used to tell people that I'd rather lose my sight than my hearing..because I could still play and enjoy music.

Than I lost my sight. [Cool]

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDemoMan
Member # 6387

- posted      Profile for EDemoMan   Email EDemoMan       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was legally blind up until sophomore year of high school, when I chased a bag across a football field thinking it was the ball. About a week later, I was fitted with contacts and found out that the world wasn't supposed to be blurry. I now have 20/13 vision, excellent night vision, and I'd never risk losing that to elective surgery, no matter how small the risk.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread did it. I'm going to encourage Stacy to do it. She's been wanting to for a long time I don't know why she hasn't since we've got an income that can justify it? Which means I'll have to sacrifice. I mean right now she can't see me from about ten feet away so I'll have to start wearing make-up and lipstick and looking presentable at all times. But I love her.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Okay, Stacy woke up and I found out why she hasn't had the procedure. Same as a lot of you she doesn't like the idea of anything; laser or scalpel, touching her eyes.

What is the average price anyway? I assume my Blue Cross Blue Shield will not cover it? Thanks.

KE

munga
Member # 6006

KE-

They can give you loopy pills. which, as a prissy Mormon I was actually rather interested in---- not having had the usual background in drug experimentation. But then I was very disappointed because in my opinion (and how could I really judge) I was entirely in charge of my faculties the whole time, and I'd really been looking forward to some state-alteration just as an added bonus. In my opinion, they placebo'd me.... dammit.

Ours cost 2k for each of us, about 6 years ago.

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Is there any official church doctrine saying a Mormon commits true sin by smoking weed or eating mescaline?
munga
Member # 6006

uh, ever heard of the Word of Wisdom?

Actual verbiage: D & C 89

basically, it is now interpretted as, "whatever comes along, if it fudges with your system, and it aint medicine from a doc, don't do it."

[ January 31, 2009, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

As much codine as Stacy takes daily they'd have to shoot her up with morphine to have any affect on her. [Smile] And even knowing that she would be out of it she still has to make the decision to go knowing that they will be touching her eyes. I don't think she is ready for that.

KE

scifibum
Member # 945

KE, for an experienced/reputable surgeon with the latest (best) lasers it runs in the neighborhood of $2500 per eye, give or take a few hundred. There have been lots of places offering discounted surgery at prices like $500 per eye, but that means you get old tech, inexperienced surgeons (probably), and less thorough pre- and post-operative assessment and care. (I wouldn't recommend shopping for the lowest price, in other words.)

Insurance normally doesn't cover it. Vision plans sometimes include a discount on the surgery. (I have VSP and I got 15% off at Hoopes Vision in Sandy, Utah - I was very happy with them, btw.)

munga, they gave me Valium. I expect that's what you had too(?). Valium isn't supposed to do much other than calm your nerves - it's not something that would alter your consciousness to the point of loopiness or loss of normal faculties. (Bummer, right? I've never tried any strong drugs aside from alcohol and nicotine.)

[ February 01, 2009, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: scifibum ]

munga
Member # 6006

yeah, I think so. But I was looking forward to loopy, as in I DON"T CARE THAT YOU ARE STICKING SOMETHING ON MY EYE. relax? no... how about-- on a yellow submarine?
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine rand $2,000 per eye and insurance covered none of it. They did have a special program where if you had a buddy do it the same day you each saved 10%. I had a friend at work whose grandparents had died about a year before and left him a pile of money. So he took me up on the offer and we both had our eyes done on the same day, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

The only thing I was given as half a valium. The doc I went to is known as the best at this in the city. He had one nurse whose entire job was to hold my hand the whole time.

His fee did cover everything for the next year. I had to have the procedure done a second time because I needed so much correction. They had told me this at the begining, that I might have to go in a second time, and I did, three months later.

The only time I had any sense of freaking out is when the put something on the eye and it sort of pulls the eye into a weird shape ( I think it is just before they cut the flap). Your vision goes black then.

The surgery was early Wednesday morning. That night, about 7:30 I came down from sleeping off the surgury and while sitting in the dining room I looked into the kitchen and was able to see the electronic clock on the stove, probably 15 feet away. I turned to my wife and said "I'ts 7:15" She broke down in tears.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jasonr:
That's right, I forgot about D.Z.

Is this something I can buy a home kit for, or do you think I should stick with a professional? [Smile]

You can do it yourself.

http://www.lasikathome.com/

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page