Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Best and worst movie adaptations of books (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best and worst movie adaptations of books
JabberWockey
Member # 6381

- posted      Profile for JabberWockey   Email JabberWockey       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've actually never read starship troopers - is it bad I kind of like the movie?
Posts: 71 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevarooni
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for Stevarooni   Email Stevarooni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JabberWockey:
I've actually never read starship troopers - is it bad I kind of like the movie?

[Big Grin] Not at all. I can see the appeal. But the movie only take a few concepts from the book...most of the people I know who enjoyed the movie have never read the book. Me? Loved the book (therefore) hated the movie. Again, I see why it could have some appeal, but it is a mockery of the book.
Posts: 536 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Individual Persona
Member # 6105

- posted      Profile for Individual Persona   Email Individual Persona   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may have to go back and read Fight Club again...I hope I didn't mix it up with Care Bears: the Real Story or something.

I don't remember the details except that I felt like at the end of the book it sounded like the narrator was looking upon us from the afterlife, thinking about how awkward that would have been.

And I remember thinking I much preferred that ending than to the one in the movie, despite the fact that I really liked the movie.

In either case, the ending you describe still makes more sense to me, and I would like that better than having someone feign/screw up suicide just to get his chaos-obsessed alter ego to go away.

Posts: 340 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psudo
Member # 6403

- posted      Profile for Psudo   Email Psudo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I loved the fake suicide to kill the alternate personality in Fight Club. A friend of mine who has multiple personalities thinks it's the best movie ever.
Posts: 229 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starship Troopers is one of my all time favorite movies.

Seriously.

Taking the piss out of everything, including their B-grade actors...genius!

It's super pulp with a budget that takes its cheesiness seriously.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starship Troopers (the novel) is a fair story, but a great lecture.

[ February 12, 2009, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: cperry ]

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JabberWockey:

I'm in the same boat here. Having never read the book, to me the movie is an action-packed bug hunt with the same sort of wry, darkly sarcastic humour about bureaucracy and authority that made Robocop so succesful.

Plus every time I read a Heinlein novel I feel endumbened for having made myself wade through so much simplistic patronising crap, so I'm really not in any hurry to have a go at Starship Troopers.

Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quinnalus
Member # 6374

- posted      Profile for Quinnalus   Email Quinnalus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - did OSC write the Abyss? Or did he write the novelization of the Movie ??
Posts: 177 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quinnalus
Member # 6374

- posted      Profile for Quinnalus   Email Quinnalus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for strait adaptations... Hunt for Red October was pretty good...
Posts: 177 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psudo
Member # 6403

- posted      Profile for Psudo   Email Psudo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quinnalus: OSC only wrote the novelization. He didn't invent the story.

And, yes, The Hunt for Red October was excellent.

Posts: 229 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quinnalus
Member # 6374

1st time in a week that I have time to post and it's movie's... Go figure...

I think "To Kill a Mockingbird" was already mentioned so let me add two more to the "Old" group...

The Grapes of Wrath... and...

The Quiet Man... "Impetuous!! ... Homeric!!"

two fantastic Movies...

With that said... I tend to watch movie's differently from most fans... the closest thing I can discribe is a "Cover" for instance...

I am a big Tom Petty fan and "Free Falling" was a great song... But I am not insulted or disappointed by the way that John Mayer did the song... it's just different. Movie's are the same thing...

It may be close to the same material... but it is a seperate artist with a seperate vision, and therefore, will be different.

Just like movies... there are some Covers I can do with out For instance any Blue grass played by David Lee Roth is just wrong...

Again... that said... Jurassic Park was one of the best adaptations... but IMHO... Michael Crichton qualifies for two (with a third in the top ten) of the worst adaptations...

Shpere = Bad!
Timeline = Very Bad

Congo = All time Worst Adaptation Ever... with extra points in stupidity to Garry Marshall for being an idiot who can't direct a book that is written to be a movie... he should have stuck to directing sitcoms.

The problem with Mr. Card is that he has to let it go... either let it go let and someone else's vision take over... or do it himself... like George Lucas and Episode 3 you can't ask Ron Howard or Stephen Speilberg to take your baby.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page