Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Who has been the most influential person in your life?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who has been the most influential person in your life?
scouser1
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether they are living or dead, famous or not, who has been the most influential person in your life and why?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myself. Because.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

Trust you to be self obsessed KL [Razz]
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I saw this thread title, my immediate gut response was "your mum". [Embarrassed]
Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

seeing as though this is an American forum shouldnt it have been "Yo' mamma"?? [Razz]
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mamma AND my pappa. [Smile] I literally couldn't have done it without them.

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
work ethic, kindness- mom
economics, international policy- M. A.
progression, repentance, truth-seeking - John my beloved
humility, selflessness- the kids
patience against selfish people- dad

[ February 18, 2009, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NSCutler
Member # 1403

- posted      Profile for NSCutler   Email NSCutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife, cuz she made me a dad.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bodhidharma Daruma, the 28th Enlightened One.
Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents, in ways I cannot fathom and did not choose. My husband, deliberately. My granddaughter, who required of me the greatest sacrifice and elicited from me the greatest love.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"seeing as though this is an American forum shouldnt it have been "Yo' mamma"??"

Oh, mama tried to raise me better but her feelings I denied, leaving only me to blame 'cuz mama tried.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Anyway, I find it impossible to list just one as the most, hence my original answer.
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good call, scouser! Or even "mom" would be better. (Do Americans even say "mum"?)
Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obama, by a mile.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and then God.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most people might say mom and dad, but definitely it was George Carlin for me. He was always there when nobody else was
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

A instructor I knew in one of the more "motivational" phases of my military life. All limits are self imposed, the desire to win is everything.
quote:
Sure I am this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us.

Stevarooni
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for Stevarooni   Email Stevarooni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert A. Heinlein
Posts: 536 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Individual Persona
Member # 6105

- posted      Profile for Individual Persona   Email Individual Persona   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my long winded answer:

I have a strange ability to subconsciously observe habits, mannerisms, and attitudes...along with the actions and philosophies of those around me. I take the bits and pieces I like and assimilate them, and discard the parts I don't. Then I see other people with characteristics I hate, and make sure I don't do that same thing. And so there is no one person who has influenced me the most. Rather there is one specific group of people who have influenced me the most...the stupid. For they are far more prevalent in the world, and have helped to strip away those things in me I don't want.

Posts: 340 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW any of you ever hear yourself speaking as you get older and suddenly feel like you're channeling your parents?
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife. No question about it. Without her, I would either be dead or wishing I were.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevarooni
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for Stevarooni   Email Stevarooni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Viking_Longship:
BTW any of you ever hear yourself speaking as you get older and suddenly feel like you're channeling your parents?

Most people do, to some degree or another, yeah. Hopefully you don't slap your hand over your mouth in outrage when you do. [Wink]
Posts: 536 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Kent:
Obama, by a mile.

Oh, and then God.

But you repeat yourself... [Razz]
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Viking_Longship:

Do I ever. Weird turns of phrase like "You kids, I swear..."
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother, then my father.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Ricky is a mama's boy! Rocky is a mama's boy!

Interesting, even ironic, that in such a patriarchal culture as Judaism, it is the mothers with whom we are by far most familiar as archetypes and influencers of their children.

I think it may be those curly sideburns. How can a young man *really* respect a father who looks like that? It's like taking vocal lessons from Milli Vannili. [Wink]

scouser1
unregistered

[LOL] ya said ricky then rocky!! Slip of the keyboard key there [Razz]
scouser1
unregistered

For me its always been my mother. Because after everything I know shes been through, shes still a strong woman to this day. Takes no BS, rights other peoples wrongs, and inspires me to be a good person no matter how other people treat you. If I am even half the woman she is then i'll be doing well [Smile] And my grandmother is a close second for all the same reasons.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page