Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Jaysus, Troy is a bad movie (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Jaysus, Troy is a bad movie
lessismore
Member # 2092

- posted      Profile for lessismore   Email lessismore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the movie banal and had to fight just to stay a wake in the theater.
100 points to me for using the word of the day.

I enjoyed David Gemmell trilogy on Troy

Posts: 437 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to see Push on saturday night, and Chris Evans is as fit as ever [Razz]

And I liked Troy, bit long like but good.

And for people who dont watch it or havent heard, Heath Ledger did win the Best Supporting Actor role for The Dark Knight last night.

2 words: Well iiiiiiiiiin!! [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Jordan,

The homo-erotic stuff really had nothing to do with it. Don't even know why I mentioned it except it made the Persian King so pathetic. The part that bothered me was that it took all the honor out and turned it into a comic book like farce.

KE

Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that the Hollywood way, KE?

I do feel your pain, KE. I, Robot, despite being a novel and not based on history, is part of a great magnum opus that I had the great pleasure of reading in my formative years, and Asimov is on record concerning his disappointment with the majority of televised science fiction. Hollywood fulfilled all his expectations and utterly freaking wrecked it, and I'm afraid that no amount of eye-candy is going to redeem this one.

I think Asimov would have been less insulted if they had just urinated on his grave.

[ February 24, 2009, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: Jordan ]

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevarooni
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for Stevarooni   Email Stevarooni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
I do feel your pain, KE. I, Robot, despite being a novel and not based on history, is part of a great magnum opus that I had the great pleasure of reading in my formative years, and Asimov is on record concerning his disappointment with the majority of televised science fiction. Hollywood fulfilled all his expectations and utterly freaking wrecked it, and I'm afraid that no amount of eye-candy is going to redeem this one.

The fun thing, though, is that if you can be aware of just how much it's not going to be true to the source material, you can still enjoy what was done well. If the movie I, Robot hadn't had that name, it would have done much better with Asimov fans (I think) and still have enough eye candy and a relatively sophisticated storyline. Me? I went in looking for a Will Smith movie, knowing just how horribly it could mangle Asimov's vision. I also enjoyed I am Leg...er, I mean, Will Smith versus the Zombies, too.
Posts: 536 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

Jordan

As I've noted before, the end of the Robot series of short stories had the robots understanding the zeroth law of Robotics.

Also, the end of one of the stories speculated that the robots were starting to find robots more human then the humans, which raised a spectre created by Asimov which was used by Hollywood.

However, feel free to bash them. They deserve it for SO many sins.

Quinnalus
Member # 6374

- posted      Profile for Quinnalus   Email Quinnalus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Fly, ever see O'Toole in "My Favorite Year"? He is awesome in that movie. Best line; "I'm not an actor! I'm a movie star!"

KE

KE... I've Got to Disagree... (surprise)

O'Toole's best line in that movie was when Selma Diamond catches him in the Ladies Room and says:
"What are you doing!!?"

O'Toole: (as he stands at the toilet) "Madam, so is this... but every now and then I have to take it out and run a little water through it..."

[ February 24, 2009, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Quinnalus ]

Posts: 177 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Funean:
quote:
"No, but it oxidizes and crumbles, doesn't it? When it goes green? "

In verying digris.

Aw, c'mon, this deserves at least a small shudder/cheer!
I'm glad someone said it! I just finished reading the page wondering why no one mentioned it!

Bravo, bravo, bravo.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

Excuse me, but you are wrong.

Her line is "This is for the Ladies" refering to the room.

"Madam, so is this... but every now and then I have to take it out and run a little water through it..."

But you nearly ruined a perfectly good joke.

Quinnalus
Member # 6374

- posted      Profile for Quinnalus   Email Quinnalus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flydye45:
But you nearly ruined a perfectly good joke.

You are so right... got to start using the Preview Post Button

[ February 25, 2009, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Quinnalus ]

Posts: 177 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I think Asimov would have been less insulted if they had just urinated on his grave."

Indeed

I would enjoy a LoTR style Foundation movie. But I'm afraid of the potential consequences.

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Stevarooni:
The fun thing, though, is that if you can be aware of just how much it's not going to be true to the source material, you can still enjoy what was done well. If the movie I, Robot hadn't had that name, it would have done much better with Asimov fans (I think) and still have enough eye candy and a relatively sophisticated storyline. Me? I went in looking for a Will Smith movie, knowing just how horribly it could mangle Asimov's vision.

I can understand, and even accept, that some people might enjoy the film on its own merits. But it is impossible for me to enjoy it on this level, chiefly because it is so deeply unfaithful to Asimov's work and his hopes for televised science fiction, and so infidelious to one of his favourite characters, Susan Calvin. And then, after borrowing—and trashing!—so much, they barely even acknowledge the man's name.

The closest I can come to describing it is, it's like having sex with someone who is married to someone else. It might be great, but you know in your heart that it's wrong.

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevarooni
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for Stevarooni   Email Stevarooni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
The closest I can come to describing it is, it's like having sex with someone who is married to someone else. It might be great, but you know in your heart that it's wrong.

Hmm. Adultery. That's a mighty interesting film rating system you have there, Jordan! [Wink]

[Edit - Should be relegated to the Zoolander schooler for people who don't spell good.]

[ February 25, 2009, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Stevarooni ]

Posts: 536 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

quote:
flydye45:
As I've noted before, the end of the Robot series of short stories had the robots understanding the zeroth law of Robotics.

And the first robot to do so—long after humanity has colonised several planets, in the novels!—was fatally damaged by the experience of harming one human for the sake of humanity. And, more importantly, the manner in which it was applied by Daneel was very intelligent and subtle—quite unlike the movie. More than anything, the spirit of Asimov's writing was violated.

quote:
Also, the end of one of the stories speculated that the robots were starting to find robots more human then the humans, which raised a spectre created by Asimov which was used by Hollywood.
Which story do you mean? (I can think of a few, so you'll need to narrow it down. [Smile] )

quote:
However, feel free to bash them. They deserve it for SO many sins.
Do they ever…
Jordan
Member # 2159

quote:
Stevarooni:
quote:
Jordan:

Hmm. Adultery. That's a mighty interesting film rating system you have there, Jordan! [Wink]
It's one above idolatry. [Smile]
Jordan
Member # 2159

quote:
TommySama:
"I think Asimov would have been less insulted if they had just urinated on his grave."

Indeed

LOL! I forgot about that!
flydye45
unregistered

"Which story do you mean? (I can think of a few, so you'll need to narrow it down"

Essentially Robotics Inc or whatever it was called was loosing their shirts (and not in a rippled ab 300 kind of way. More Stay Puft)

It seems that having HUMAN robots was turning off their customers and were too damned expensive to make. People hated and feared them. So they took all their antropomorphic robots and stuck them in storage while they made micro robots who would catch bugs, or clean carpets etc. Cheap, not scary. Meanwhile, humans, by not cleaving to the cultural mores of the Robots were starting to be seen as less human then Robots. After all, we judge people by their degree of cultural similarity, why not our creations.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page