Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » How much electricity do you use, how much do you pay for it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How much electricity do you use, how much do you pay for it?
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was inspired by KE's absolutely ridiculous utility bill.

How much electricity do you use each month?

How much do you pay per KW?

We use around 650 KW per month at $.026 for the first 250 KW, $.066 for the next 500 KW, and $.098 for every KW over 750.

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Texas, not too far from Houston. My area is not as humid as Houston but every bit as hot (Houston in the summer has to be experienced to be believed). I assume KE would use TXU Energy but don't know.

My Feb 2009 bill was $170.47 at 11.89 cents per kWh using 1386 kWh. I use a bill pay service that keeps all my bills for me and can see that over the last 5 years my average monthly electricity cost is $296.18.

To give you an idea of what that buys, I have a 3,000 square foot home with 2 floors. It appears I am the only member of my family that realizes the light switch goes to an off position and that a TV does not need to run at all times. I keep the thermostat at 78 in the summer (with ceiling fans running in nearly every room) and 68 in the winter. I have a hot tub that runs about 4 hours a day and stays at 100 degrees year round (never know when you need a beer and a soak!) and a swimming pool where the pump runs about 3 hours a day in the winter to about 8 hours a day in the summer. Last summer (August 2008), at peak usage my bill was $450.16, 3463 kWh used - and that was at the elevated energy costs of the time.

Why KE's is racking up such a bill is a mystery because I'm obviously burning some serious trons. Maybe he should check his insulation or something.

[ March 26, 2009, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: G2 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Houston, TX. We keep our house pretty cool in the summer (73 or so). I don't have my bill in front of me, but I would assume my per kWh is similar to G2. We have a pretty large pool that has two pumps that run about 8 hours/day in the winter and up to 16 hours/day in the summer. We have 4 kids and lots of appliances and electronics. The home is pretty old and the AC system is pretty old also. We only have one AC that cools both floors. In the summer it runs 24 hours/day...

My next house will be smaller and one floor.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
73 in the summer in Houston with only one AC!?!? I bet it kicks on sometime in May and runs until October without interruption. [Eek!] Your pool must be pretty large to require 2 pumps ... mine's only 15,000 gallons with just one pump needed.

What's your monthly bill? I'd think investing in an upgraded AC would pay off fairly quickly.

[ March 26, 2009, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: G2 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't hate me... 80-90$ per month in the dead of winter. Maybe half of that in the summer.

Timers on everything so that I'm only heating comfortably for 45 minutes in the am and 3 hours in the evening. Comfortable being around 66 degrees.

Exceptions for having guests, though. Gas stove. Limited AC in the summer, again, only when necessary. 1300 square feet one level and no pool.

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else notice that Ornery hasn't figured out daylight savings time yet?
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevarooni
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for Stevarooni   Email Stevarooni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Interesting stuff. I spend about $20 a month on electricity (water and heat are included in rent). For last month, the total was $19.97. $7.46 is some sort of "Customer Charge", $1.19 is a "Franchise Fee", and $11.22 is for 138 kWh (a little more than 8¢ per kWh).

I live in a small, studio apartment, turn on the AC maybe one or two times a year, and having included gas and water makes a huge difference.

Posts: 536 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My highest bill ever was $700 in one month, and that was in the Houston area too. Air conditioning capital of the world. We had a 3500 sq foot single story house. That bill was an eye opener though and a bit too much. Before the year was out we sold that baby and rightsized (pc for downsized) to a 2200 sq. foot house. It's hard going down in size though. Our big baby had room for a full sized trampoline in the living room and if I jumped as high as I could I barely touched the ceiling. Now we play ping pong instead.

We put the window tinting on and keep the blinds down and curtains drawn, and my wife like a lot of women is comfortable with the temperature much higher than I'd prefer, around 79. I have a little portable air conditioner for one room that I can use when I just can't stand it any more. She's also big on the new thing about umplugging anything electrical not being used instead of just turning it off, using ceiling fans instead of the AC, and all that other good green stuff, so we end up in the $80 to $150 range a month.

My dream since I was a child is to get an RV and become a snow bird, travelling to where ever the weather is just right depending on the time of year. Some day...

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We pay about 11 cents per KW/hr. our electricity bill can run from about $100 to $300 a month, depending.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cherry, I want to know if you really had a trampoline in your living room. Please say yes.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, it was awesome too! A big one, 14 footer. And we had the safety net on it. I think the ceiling there was about 18 feet high. All the ceilings were high though in that house. Here's something cool. I found the plan on-line:

http://www.perryhomes.com/images/floorplan_pdfs/3509.PDF

I notice the plan says 12' ceiling, but I remember it being a lot higher than that.

Man, I loved that house, but it was just a bit too expensive as far as the utilities and the tax bill. Moving down saves us over 15k a year I bet, money we're putting aside for our kids' college fund. I'd say the least utility bill there was about $300 and the average about $500, and the taxes alone were about 11k per year. Too much for my blood, but it was nice for a while anyway. Sold it for about 35k more than we bought it for, but when you factor in the real estate commission and the extras we put in we didn't really make any money on it.

I'm going back to school now living on money we've saved but hopefully when I get my degree in business administration, we'll be able to afford a nice house like that again, this time with a fully enclosed courtyard where I can park my RV. And throw in one of those infinite pools too while we're at it. [Smile]

[ March 27, 2009, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: cherrypoptart ]

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next question, are you Tom Hanks and did you install the trampoline after an unusual event with a fortune telling machine?
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by G2:
73 in the summer in Houston with only one AC!?!? I bet it kicks on sometime in May and runs until October without interruption. [Eek!] Your pool must be pretty large to require 2 pumps ... mine's only 15,000 gallons with just one pump needed.

What's your monthly bill? I'd think investing in an upgraded AC would pay off fairly quickly.

One pool pump for the filter, one pump for the polaris. It is about 20,000 gallons.

My bills in the summer last year ran between $500-$700. We are only going to be in this house for another two years, so I don't want to invest in a new AC right now.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

I must have missed that movie, probably Big; guess I'm going to have to see it now.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. The kids were in gymnastics classes and this gave us the opportunity to practice at home. It's also pretty good exercise. After 30 minutes or so boy you can feel it. Not to mention it's a lot of fun, a very good thing for exercise to be. [Smile]

Having the ceiling fan right there was nice too, just watch your head! Luckily the kids were too young at the time to jump high enough to reach it, and it was off to the side enough that I wouldn't hit it. Yeah, it was really nice inside though. I'd go underneath it and tickle their feet as they ran around on the trampoline. And having the music inside was nice too. I think we liked the Sons of Somerled to jump to. Ah, the good old days!

Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We live in the hottest part of Las Vegas (downtown), in a 1950s house that's not terribly energy efficient. In summer, our power bill exceeds our mortgage.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevarooni
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for Stevarooni   Email Stevarooni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
In summer, our power bill exceeds our mortgage.

How much is it, per kWh?
Posts: 536 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have the breakdowns immediately on hand, but our average monthly electric bill in Pittsburgh is $101, and our average monthly gas bill (heat as well as cooking) is $208.

It's a ~2000 sq foot house that leaks like a sieve (the entire kitchen is over an unheated 2 car garage and has a huge single-pane bay window. I guess the upshot is that our refrigerator barely needs to run in the winter and our extra freezer gets a break.

Our highest single month gas bill was $800 the February after we moved in when an attempt to better weatherstrip our doors backfired and let the wind blow them open while we were out of the house. We've only really just recently managed to catch the bills up from that. Normally it peaks are about $500 in the coldest months (compensated for by the summer where cooking and hot water are all that we need, dropping it to about $30)

I've been slowly switching out what bulbs I can with CFLs which helps make up for young kids that leave them on all the time and m wife also being one of those that never leaves the TV off. (We also haven't racked up enough to afford anything but CRT televisions yet.

The one nice thing about the house is that the natural airflow in it coupled with being white means that we've not even really needed fans to keep it acceptably cool in the summer, which is definitely handy.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page