Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » "Toddlers in Tiaras"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Toddlers in Tiaras"
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I only recently became aware of this television show, which occasionally rivets my wife somehow (in the manner that a car crash is riveting).

Essentially, I was wondering why some people, like myself, seem to have this gut-churning reaction to watching it (as in: "this is the most horrifying thing ever"), while others seem to view it as harmless mother-daughter bonding opportunities.

I just can't shake it - I cringe with horror everytime I see girls that young subjected to a "pageant" by their mothers.

I also have to wonder what the thoughts are of the filmmakers documenting this behavior. Do they approve? Disapprove? My wife suggested that there might be a tacit criticism of the events going on, but I don't see it. The show itself seems to be fairly neutral... does that mean it is being encouraged?

I just feel like somewhere, some people ought to be ashamed of this, except that they aren't.

[ March 31, 2009, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: JoshCrow ]

Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you see the show "Little Miss Sunshine?" It managed to be completely damning with a relatively neutral perspective. (The pageant director was kind of a witch, but other than that they just showed little girls in makeup and fancy dresses.) I've only seen commercials for the show you're talking about, but it sounds very similar.

That kind of stuff does bother me, and I think it's because adult beauty pageants have a (usually) tacit subtext: wouldn't it be nice to lay these chicks? In imitating those competitions in nearly every detail, the little girl pageants inherit the meat market undertone, and that makes it creepy. (There'd be some of that anyway, from heavy makeup and clothing styles that were originally designed to play up secondary sexual characteristics.)

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lina Inverse
Member # 6361

- posted      Profile for Lina Inverse   Email Lina Inverse       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Creeeeeepy.

See also, because things this horrific are meant to be shared.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gah! My eyes! Lina, what have you done?

Seriously, it's hard to believe that is for real. Could anyone really think making kids look like plastic is a good idea?

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the days of temple prostitutes, we didn't have this problem. Gimme that old time religion.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrong wrong wrong wrong WRONG!!!

There is only 1 set of people to blame-their mothers.
Most of them trying to recapture some of their own youth by putting their children through things like this, to live their own wants and ambitions through their kids.
Hell, my ex-sister (I call her that for a reason) is doing a similar thing right now with my niece, making her go to college and doing something she herself had always wanted to do but never got the chance.

I think all of this should just be stopped.
Exploiting kids like this should be illegal or something.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These mothers should be arrested and shot for child abuse
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't have cable, so I sometimes watch "Toddlers and Tiaras" on the interwebs. Jezebel, which is my bitchy-feminist-take-on-the-news site of choice, offers clips with sarcastic commentary for every episode, and occasionally I want to watch the entire trainwrecky thing.

I think it's crap, but I don't think it's necessary ALL that much more inherently harmful than a lot of other things parents do. The activities that I'd consider far more wholesome - soccer, karate, music - can turn into a horribly negative experience with poor parenting. I think you get a big concentration of parents with a personal problem motivating their behavior in pageants, which makes it more noticable. But, I watched an episode recently with a fairly sweet mom who had entered her daughter in pageants because kids at school told her she was ugly. They had really helped her self-esteem, and they both seemed pretty happy and sane. (Not that those people make for the best TV)

In short, while I don't think pageants are the best thing in the world for little girls to be doing, by a long shot, I think its parental attitudes that can cause damage - not the pageants themselves.

Even though I still think its weird to spray-tan a seven-year-old.

Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hell, my ex-sister (I call her that for a reason) is doing a similar thing right now with my niece, making her go to college and doing something she herself had always wanted to do but never got the chance.
Is your niece at the age of majority? Then her mom can't *make* her do anything... she can pressure her, but that's not quite the same. At some point, crap parents or good parents, I think we have to just take on our lives for our own.
Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lina, that is some awful photo retouching. They seem to think that any texture whatsoever in skin is a "blemish". And as for what they're doing to the eyes, it beggars belief. Even a complete layman could tell that it's been retouched.

In case anyone's interested, a more professional technique for retouching blemishes is to use the "clone" tool. You select a "source" area of clear skin, and the clone tool copies the image from that area over the top of blemishes, gradually fading them out. This leaves skin—with its beautiful texture, all the tiny reflections from hairs and natural sheen—actually looking like real skin instead of just smoothing it away into Barbie-like plastic, which is very amateurish. As for eyes, it's best just to gently modify the colour curves to enhance what's naturally there, instead of making them look like a cross between a terrified deer's and the spare parts that the toymaker doesn't like to use.

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Scouser is right. But if you pointed a camera at any baseball park on any summer day you'll see thousands of dads doing the same thing. Trying to be athletes through their kids because they sucked. [Frown]

KE

Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of an old article—Doctors see a big rise in injuries as young athletes train nonstop.
Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

Lina, may you be forgiven.

KE, if you ever decide to go ultra violent again, I'll pay for the plane ticket...

[ April 01, 2009, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: flydye45 ]

scifibum
Member # 945

I'm about 90% sure that retouching site is a hoax.

I can't imagine that if they were genuine they'd be able to restrain themselves from posting something defensive in response to the hate mail I'm sure floods to them on a daily basis.

Or is this just a defense mechanism against the horrific idea that people would make Zombarbies out of their perfectly nice looking children?

Jordan
Member # 2159

It seems scarily genuine. The prices and T&Cs are fairly realistic.

What I want to know is how they ever get business. How many people look at the "after" "photos" and think, "that's gorgeous, I really want them to do that to my little girl's face"?

scifibum
Member # 945

I could see a market for sending in photos of your porcelain dolls to get that treatment. Maybe that's it.
Lina Inverse
Member # 6361

- posted      Profile for Lina Inverse   Email Lina Inverse       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm about 90% sure that retouching site is a hoax.
I don't know, they do seem to have an actual Paypal account. And I have seen far more horrible things perpetrated by--and praised by--completely sincere people.

[ April 01, 2009, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Lina Inverse ]

Posts: 457 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

Well, in the end… What does one expect for a few dollars? They're not exactly asking much for piecemeal work. But seriously, I could do better, and I'm hardly au fait at image editing. The first image on that page looks a little like the results of my earliest dabblings in the arcane arts, in which I made my pretty sister look like Malibu Stacy. [Frown]
scifibum
Member # 945

Sadly the little girls whose mothers opt for this treatment will grow up into people who do this to themselves.
kmbboots
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had enough once I caught a bit of an episode where the mother and daughter were anxiously waiting for the fake teeth to arrive.
Posts: 2635 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to gouge my eyes out with a spoon after about 30 seconds of the very, very, very gay man in makeup singing the pageant song to all the contestants. I suppose he has to be gay or would be accused of being a pedophile.

I swear he's the same guy from Little Miss Sunshine.

What's with all the fat moms? I think it's telling there is not a single MILF among the bunch.

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Sadly the little girls whose mothers opt for this treatment will grow up into people who do this to themselves.

I loved that show...
http://www.space-debris.com/sci_perlman_vincentRose.jpg

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

That's funny! [Big Grin]
KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks Fly, I'll keep it in mind. (When are you going to back down here? I got my teeth all fixed up finally so you want mistake for a panhandler anymore. [Smile] )

Jordan, I married Malibu Stacy. Are you insulting my wife? (And that was in the 80's, so big hair and blue eyeshadow. I had to insist she cut back once we got together.)

KE

flydye45
unregistered

February or so.
KnightEnder
unregistered

Cool.
scouser1
unregistered

What, ya mean there is such a thing as a Malibu Stacey doll?? I thought it was just the Simpsons takin the piss outa Barbie.
Well slap me in the face and call me a bitch... [DOH]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page