Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Any comments on Obama's $500,000 book deal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any comments on Obama's $500,000 book deal?
flydye45
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The title says it all. Signed 5 days before the inauguration.

Of course, Gingrich did the same and was considered declasse. So much so that he had to stop the deal.

Should similar pressure be brought to bear on Obama, who AFAIK, was a Senator when he worked this thing out?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure. Go for it.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this sort of thing was the heart and soul of good ol' GOP-style capitalism.

I hear Bush wants to write something too, so we can all get an "authoritarian" perspective. [Wink]

Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the title, Obama's advance is about a factor of 10 less than Gingrich's book deal back in 1995. But if there is any possibility of conflict of interest, I would support an inquiry.

Is there any possibility?

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Yeah, I hope he can get out of the deal and make a better deal now that he is president. [Smile] Bush writing a book. Hilarious. [LOL]

KE

flydye45
unregistered

I don't have a problem with capitalism. I have an issue with equity. If it is to be beyond the pale for a sitting politician to not write books, then let's set the bar. Otherwise it seems damned selective.*

Edited to add: What I would accept in as..."august" a body as has/had Kucinich, Traficant, and Waters as members I would find tacky in a Chief Executive. So, I had little problem with Senator Obama making book money, any more then I would ding McCain from his deals. I DO have a problem with any President signing a book deal, certainly after they were elected.

*This attitude does not surprise me in the slightest.

[ April 02, 2009, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: flydye45 ]

G2
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Wayward Son:
From the title, Obama's advance is about a factor of 10 less than Gingrich's book deal back in 1995. But if there is any possibility of conflict of interest, I would support an inquiry.

Is there any possibility?

Is there any possibility? ROTFLMAO, of course not! An investigation into anything Obama is not a possibility unless, and this is a very slim chance, it can be used to tarnish Bush too - see the post above yours for the attempt. Obamatrons like Tom and Josh are never going to see any conflict of interest. Ever. It just isn't going to happen so forget that line of thought, it's simply not allowed.

I see no possibility of anything ever coming from this or any other ethics issues, conflict of interest or whatever. Obama, the One True Leader, is perfect don't you know?

[ April 02, 2009, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: G2 ]

flydye45
unregistered

Now now. Some of his more egregious actions are causing enough cognative dissonence so that SOME reporters are shocked into the occasional impolitic question. Call it two years (AFTER the midterm elections, natch) before the bloom is totally off that rose.
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're very droll, G2, but I already have at least three major policy disagreements with Obama (legalization of ssm, marijuana, and more egregiously his lack of balls in dealing sternly with the banks - either take 'em over or let 'em crumble). Portraying me as an Obama-dittohead is misinformed. I do have my own opinions and my own mind, and if you want to compare the size of our intellects I'd be happy to.
Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

One can disagree with a president and still serve as an apologist. Take the way I've been characterized for the last 5 years.
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by flydye45:
One can disagree with a president and still serve as an apologist. Take the way I've been characterized for the last 5 years.

Well it ain't right, you would agree.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I DO have a problem with any President signing a book deal, certainly after they were elected."

I don't, except that the book should be placed on a very VERY slow production time requirement. I'll give the guy a 1/2 hour a day to make notes of his presidency for writing a book down the road after he's retired but no more for now. Him got presidenting to do.

As for conflict of, say, ideological influence and policy and all: if we think book contrqacts are a conflict of interest, so is the damn bully pulpit.

It would be interesting to place a shawl of silence over acting presidents.

Do don't Say. Would be innarestin. Shut up, stand up, do something.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for Gingrich: man has a gift for appearing out of order, beginning at least with divorcing his wife as she struggled with cancer. Guy's got a stinky star on his forehead.

Obama's gift is, obviously, different. Gingrich couldn't even make a first run showing at the Rep residential noms.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by JoshCrow:
Well it ain't right, you would agree.

Of course. Get a helmet.

[ April 02, 2009, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: flydye45 ]

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tricky question, about whether/how a President can make money.

They probably ought not to keep reporting to an office job.

But it's not like they have to (or ever have) spend every waking moment governing. There are ways they all probably spend spare time for personal profit. I'm pretty sure they aren't required to liquidate/freeze their investments. They probably still spend time to talk to their financial advisers, in a sense working for themselves to make money.

What about the book deal, exactly, stinks?

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

Don't have a problem with the bully pulpit. And I'm not against using a book as a means to pushing an agenda. But BECAUSE he has the bully pulpit, he doesn't need a book. And trading on one's presidency, as you noted, shorts the nation and looks tacky.

What, the eight million he already earned isn't enough to pay his energy bill? It's as embarrassing as if he were caught going through the seats in Air Force One, looking for loose change.

(Though, to be honest, if he showed ANY sense of thrift, I'd probably applaud at this point.)

kmbboots
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't this book deal about an abridgment to "Dreams from My Father"? A book the President has already written and that the publisher will abridge?
Posts: 2635 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
scifibum,

regarding financial advisers - pretty sure they aren't allowed to have any knowledge of how or where their money is invested to avoid conflict of interest.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LetterRip:
scifibum,

regarding financial advisers - pretty sure they aren't allowed to have any knowledge of how or where their money is invested to avoid conflict of interest.

LetterRip

I wasn't aware of that. I suppose it makes a lot of sense. Voluntary code of ethics or actual law?

Having a hell of a time finding anything with Google. [Frown]

[ April 02, 2009, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: scifibum ]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm nothing turns up in google for me either, I don't recall where I read it and it was 10 years or more ago, I'm sure the source wasn't anything official, just an offhand comment in something I was reading so it could be wrong or my recollection might be.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sefer
Member # 6366

- posted      Profile for Sefer   Email Sefer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2009/03/obamas_new_500000_book_deal_wa.html

This is an abridgment to his previous book aimed at a younger audience. I don't really see a problem with it. I'm not sure I'd see a problem with a politician writing a book while in office, either, so long as they still did their job. I'm not really familiar with what happened with Gingrich, though, so maybe there's an issue I'm not considering.

fly, do you have a problem with any millionaire continuing to make money, or just presidents? It seems unlikely that he'll actually have to do much, if anything, for the project; editors can abridge things without much input. For little effort he can make money while allowing younger readers to access his work; what's "tacky" or "embarrassing" about that?

Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
scifi & LR: Blind trust is probably what you're looking for.
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

Thanks Irish. Looks like both Obama and GWB used them. Do you know if they're required by statute?
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No clue. I don't think so though.
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page