Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » It's getting more Orwellian by the day (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: It's getting more Orwellian by the day
kmbboots
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ferning, the things is,great comedians are needfully offensive to those with power. Picking on people who are already marginalized is only going to get laughs from bullies.
Posts: 2635 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Although it's possible to heal someone by telling them to shut up and listen (a la Dr. House) in general people are receptive to healing effects when they feel opened up rather than shut down.
This is your self confidence
1: You are <blank>
2: Wahhhhh (breaks down in tears)

This is your self confidence on humor
1: You are <blank>
2: <witty come back>

Any questions?

Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

- posted      Profile for Fenring   Email Fenring       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Ferning, the things is,great comedians are needfully offensive to those with power. Picking on people who are already marginalized is only going to get laughs from bullies.

I don't see how satire and, as Tom put it, challenging the audience must require picking on anyone. Granted, when a comedian like Chris Rock takes on 'white people' he's going to be a lot more critical and less tongue in cheek compared to when he mocks tropes in black culture. I remember one bit of his that I found very funny dealing with black culture (I believe) and how there is much overt thanks in the culture towards mothers ("mama") and the father role remains often thankless. It sounds less funny when I say it here but I remember thinking that it's true that fewer public accolades seem to be directed towards men and father in black culture than towards the female roles. This bit is funny because it has to do with cultures roles, and although it is pointing to a real phenomenon Rock's bit wasn't picking on anyone in the 'taking them down' sense. Of course there may have been irony laced into the bit regarding absent fathers or the prison system or whatever else, but overtly at least the bit was about portraying the more powerful role of 'father/man' as getting the short end of the stick in certain cases and that being funny in the same way perhaps as it's funny to consider the cultural norm of the mother running the house in Italian or Jewish families.

So no, the bits don't always have to be about power struggles or about picking on anyone, and I'll agree with you that needlessly harping on an already downtrodden group would be both in poor taste and also not helpful to anyone. Then again comedy has so many tools, and a comedian could certainly do an ironic polemic against a downtrodden group just to show how ridiculous it is to actually take issue with them.

I'm quite sure you can find me some crap comedians that do, indeed, reach for low hanging fruit and aim at the wrong targets, but when we're discussing people like Seinfeld and Rock surely it should be clear that neither one of them is vindictive (although Rock does go a bit far in his categorical comments about white people sometimes). Seinfeld is about as Care Bears as a major comedian can get, and about as rated G to boot. That fact that the schmo wrote the open letter to him of all people really shows how little intellectual currency he had to spend when drafting it.

EDIT: I found the Chris Rock bit I was referring to. The material about "mama vs daddy" starts at around 3:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LpohYT5NIg

[ August 10, 2015, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Fenring ]

Posts: 1636 | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
a comedian could certainly do an ironic polemic against a downtrodden group just to show how ridiculous it is to actually take issue with them
Louis C.K., arguably one of the best standups working today, does this pretty often, but he's always very careful to telegraph that this is what he's doing both before and after he does so.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Then again comedy has so many tools, and a comedian could certainly do an ironic polemic against a downtrodden group just to show how ridiculous it is to actually take issue with them."

Downtrodden might not apply here, but South Park does something like that to poke fun at idiots who hate or fear Mormons. [Smile]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But the core of "political correctness" has always been and remains the idea that it's just good manners and sensible governance to treat people with respect, in the way they'd ultimately wish to be treated.
It's also important to keep in mind that "politically correct" is a label that was invented to be able to attack people who were advocating for treating others with dignity and respect without having to openly come out against the notion.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page