Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Swine Flu or H1N1 Flu?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Swine Flu or H1N1 Flu?
Mr Xin Ku
Member # 1472

- posted      Profile for Mr Xin Ku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hobsen said in another thread:
quote:
The pig farmers are not happy. They do not think, "Eat pork and contract a fatal disease!" makes a good advertising slogan. But I am afraid the disease now and forever will be known as "swine flu," however incomplete or inaccurate this name may be.
What did you think the moment you heard the government asking us to stop calling it "swine flu" and call it H1N1 Flu instead? Didn't you immediately think that was never going to happen? I did. I understand why they don't want it called "Swine Flu," and if I was in the government I myself try to get people to call it something else. (People are going to call it whatever the news calls it.)

The problem is their choice. "H1N1?" I had to google "Swine Flu" just to remember exactly what the letters/numbers were. Not that it's overly difficult to remember four letters, it's just overly boring and generic.

Maybe it will yet work and people will quit calling it Swine Flu, but I suspect Hobson is right.

It really might have worked if they gave it another interesting name, like "Mexican Godzilla Flu", or name it after that boy or village. I know, each would offend someone by associating it with a person or a place, and H1N1 only offends the assimilated Borg member with that designation--although then you piss off the Borg as a whole, so maybe even H1N1 isn't safe!

Really, though, just giving it a boring name doomed the effort. Something interesting enough to compete with "swine" may have worked.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the "Much-ado-about-nothing-new-flu"?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, pick:

"Hispanic-Panic"
"Jew-Flu"
"Cholos Polio"

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the new slang for cemetery workers:

Nigger-Diggers.

Reminds me of the ancient slang for AIDS:

Dickness Sickness.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tommy, all I could see from your post was "Seriously, pick:" and then I scrolled down. [LOL]
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Mexican Godzilla Flu"

Gets MY vote.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote for "Not Mad Cow Disease"

It reminds me of those cows on billboards holding up signs saying "Eat more Chiken!"

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cperry,

I can see you are just jealous of how clever my friends and I are.

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all seriousness, why not simply call it the Mexican flu? Is that too racist or something? Wasn't the last big one called the Spanish flu because it started getting big in Spain?
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NPR switched today - now they are calling it H1N1.
Apparently the pig lobby got to them.

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The swine! [Smile]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

I think we should call it buggers and seek out a microbial Ender Wiggins.
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the aporkalypse.
Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't they name flus from their point of origin anymore? The Spanish Flu - nobody expects the Spanish Flu, it's chief weapons are fear and surprise.

Of course this one is the Mexican Flu, right?

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the Hwun Nwun flu? That's H1N1. It's fun to say, you can say it quickly, and plus hopefully it won't offend anyone, and that's the most important thing.
Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could just pronounce it "heiney", as in:

"Darn, I had plans this weekend, but now I've got the heiney flu and I'll probably die."

Oops, I thought I was clever, but it seems some people beat me to it. A google search shows all.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page