Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Test yourself

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Test yourself
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm ashamed to say I got two wrong. One tho I kinda knew when I picked that it could be the other one.

http://pewresearch.org/newsiq/quiz/index.php

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got the unemployment rate wrong. Its edging towards 10% here, and we usually lag several months behind everyone else. Plus I had just read about unemployment in California, so I guess I incorrectly got the impression things are really bad.

Yep April was 8.9%- near historical norms, amazing we consider this to be unemployment on a Depression scale.

Then again about half the people who took the tests only got 53% of the questions right. No wonder the media is frothing at the mouth.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed 1, but I'm comforted that it was the hardest one on the test. And I totally rocked my age group! I'm among the very smartest of the stupid young kids!
Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed 2 and 5, and *might* have gotten #9 right only because I saw Red's post before I took the quiz. But I kind of guessed on some others. (I'm embarrassed at the two I missed, really.)
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got 7 & 8 wrong, even though I knew #7 was "Ford" I put "all of the above" for some reason I will never fully understand
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got 5, 9 and 12 wrong (Geithner's job, unemployment, and who the chairman of the fed Reserve is (I had a 50/50 stab at the last one). My excuse is that I'm not American [Smile] I'd never even heard of Geithner before - or if I had the name hadn't stuck in my mind.
Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed two also - one because the quiz is wrong

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data

and the other because I suck at names.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lina Inverse
Member # 6361

- posted      Profile for Lina Inverse   Email Lina Inverse       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got 7, 9, and 12 wrong (emergency auto loans, national unemployment rate, chairman of the Federal Reserve Board).
Posts: 457 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missed 8 and 11, the two most missed in my age group. I could have sworn the Dow was over 10,000.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missed Geitner and the number of U.S. casualties in Iraq. Put me at the 69 percentile.

Looks like we're bringing up the average, though. [Smile]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missed #12.
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have been embarrassed if I didn't get them all right. But, I did.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
100%. I guess it pays to wallow in online news trivia while sitting on conference calls half of the day.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, what shall we do with our jackpot?
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

Put it all on Ford.
Kuato
Member # 6445

no no noooo, Bank of America
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed the Iraq (the one I knew I may well be wrong... really did taper off lately, despite explosions here and there), and the Dow.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

I got Iraq wrong as well.

I don't feel particularly well informed. That's sad.

DaveS
unregistered

Jeez, buck up. You're all more knowledgeable and aware than most people I know, and most people I know think they pay close attention.
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missed one (Geichtner). It strikes me that a week of NPR would give one all of these stats; besides Ornery and following links now and then, its my only source of news. I think of myself as average-ly informed (is that a word? meh); I'm a little chagrined that there are people who don't know that Afghanistan and Pakistan share a border. I mean, its not like a trivial fact; its been the major military frustration in that entire conflict. Oy vey.

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was wrong on Iraq - and I did hesitate on that.

But not as wrong as Redskullvw regarding 8.9% unemployment being near historical norms. First of all, for most of the past century we used a different indicator of unemployment, a measure that currently is running over 13%. Second, 8.9% isn't near historical norms under either measure

Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kuato
Member # 6445

Yeah, I knew that but I also knew that the polls wouldn't have adjusted the indicators properly.
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only got eight, which I'm going to pretend is the fault of my foreignness and not a sign that I've started paying less attention [Smile]
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got 8, 10 and 12 wrong. I am going to blame them on being cut off from any news sources that aren't ala carte. [Smile]
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got 7 and 9 wrong. That was a hard question because I thought it was around 10%. My years of watching price is right made me choose 12 instead of 8.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greg

Ok i'll rephrase, for most of my life inflation was at 7-8%, with the exception being the Clinton years when the definitional formula was changed to make the unemployment rate seem like 5%. Whatever the formula used, it has been at 7-8% all along.

I tend to agree with LR's formulation that shows it at near 20% using the old standard,

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

And again 8.9% acording to the government. I did however side more with LR because I considered the rate to be higher
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got them all right, but I had to make educated guesses on

#6 (country that holds the most U.S. government debt; China seemed like the only reasonable choice)
#7 (automaker that didn't get loans; I knew it was either Ford or none of them, but I wasn't positive that Ford didn't get any money)
#9 (unemployment rate; wasn't sure if it was closer to 8% or 12%)
#11 (U.S. military personnel killed in Iraq; I knew it was at least 4,000 but wasn't sure about which of the last two choices it was closest to)

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kuato
Member # 6445

I am waiting for mr KE- King of Spelling - to test himself and report.
Talltwin
Member # 5610

- posted      Profile for Talltwin   Email Talltwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12 of 12 right, but I pay attention to details. I also got lucky on #11.

talltwin

Posts: 234 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12/12.
Almost missed the unemployment - b/c I have looked at the Shadow stats website and know we are over 10%, but I also know the spin is saying we're still under 10%, so I changed it to 8% after thinking through.

Like most tests, it's best to read into what they want to hear and ignore the "right answer".

God forbid I ever have a Psych profile done… [Embarrassed]

I've been busier with work lately, so reading less news online these days. However, surprisingly, I managed that 12/12 from a steady diet of Ornery, Jeff Rense, and Freedom-force.org's unfiltered news. I almost never read any MSM unless it’s linked from one of those 3 sites.

Oh, and I've traded up from Howard Stern to NPR lately - sad to say I'm getting older.

[ June 02, 2009, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Colin JM0397 ]

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12/12

I guessed on Iraq.

And people who don't have a job don't want one bad enough. All you have to do is move to Houston!

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, then, moving to Houston will solve both the current economic woes and solve Texan desire to secede (if they too will move to Houston).
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrong on 11 and 12, but yea it seems the people on Ornery are a bit more informed.
Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page