Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » "half-black, half-white human being with no experience running anything of substance" (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: "half-black, half-white human being with no experience running anything of substance"
Lina Inverse
Member # 6361

- posted      Profile for Lina Inverse   Email Lina Inverse       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cherrypoptart:
[QB] Well, in Rush's defense here, it's not really Obama's choice to identify as half white and half black or vice versa or only black, the last of which is how Obama self-identified according to his book.

You say it's Obama's choice, and I'm certain a lot of people agree with you completely, but the fact is he is half black and half white, or vice versa however anyone prefers. But... there's really no choice about it.

Kind of like one of my favorite sayings about most people dying the same way they were born, with no say in the matter.

Obama was born that way and there's probably no changing it now, Michael Jackson's efforts notwithstanding. Maybe throw Eminem in there too.

Maybe that is Rush's point. People can call themselves whatever they want, the media can call them whatever they want, and people can identify themselves however they please, but that isn't going to change certain realities.

Rush is saying there is a certain reality here that exists here outside of the hype and the presentation.

Looking at it that way, people offended by it may as well be offended by reality itself.

Fair enough I suppose. Reality can be quite offensive. But as they say, don't shoot the messenger.

I really don't understand how you say things like this, and then also say that you want your kids to be able to self-identify with both parts of their heritage. The current system is a problem because multiracial people's self-identification is ignored; we agree on that, right? What Rush is doing is actively supporting and perpetuating the system that doesn't allow multiracial people's self-identification to be respected. It's not a question of Obama trying to cover up his heritage or ancestry; everyone who cares knows that his mother is white. What reality is being denied when he self-identifies as black?

quote:
I'm a little surprised we haven't touched on the part about Obama having no experience running anything of substance.

I remember seeing a whole long drawn out media piece highlighting the outrage of community organizers everywhere about some similar sentiment during the election.

One has to pick one's battles; that's about the level of stupid I've come to accept from Rush, so there's no point in debating about it when he's saying far stupider things in the same statement.
Posts: 457 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Member # 2439

- posted      Profile for Mormegil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rush Limbaugh is a fool and anyone who supports him is a fool.

Here's the thing. I'm not a Republican. Noooo. But I'm not a Democrat either, not by a long shot. Unfortunately, my stance on God, abortion, and a few other issues make people think I lean towards being a Republican. But I don't.

Lefties of Ornery, please know that there are people that you would style conservative, who believe in God, who read the Bible, who think abortion is wrong, who think marriage is a male/female relationship, that nevertheless despise everything that comes out of Rush Limbaugh's mouth.

Out of all the people I know in this world, about 2 of them have expressed a liking for Rush. EVERYONE ELSE knows he's a scumbag.

He does NOT speak for me, or for many who hold the same opinions as me.

Personally I despise many of Obama's policies. But he is the President of the United States and making comments like that is just plain wrong.

It constantly amazes me that I can come on the internet and find people who *actually* support people like Rush or Ann Coulter or Michael Savage.

Righties, you think Rush is helping you, but he's hurting you.

Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my dad loves him
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in deed something twisted

"You know the tactic at work here - demonize, distract, destroy. Anything but look at what's going on."

Anything but look, anything

[ June 09, 2009, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: rightleft22 ]

Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its like the intellectual equivalent of putting a carrot in your mouth, spinning your head around and bending backwards to jam it up your ass without using your hands. A truly amazing feat
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So does my dad. And yes Morm; he's a fool. [Smile]

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

What I realized today listening to Rush and Sean is that they are really really enjoying themselves. They are mean-spirited and vile people who hate everything about our president and would rather tear our country apart, a la GW, and see it crumble and fall than see a black democrat succeed in the White House. Put simply; they are just very bad people. (Add on top of that that they are members of the "haves and have mores" and will fight anything and anyone that threatens their positions and the status quo.

KE

[ June 09, 2009, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

quote:
Maybe that is Rush's point.
Maybe pigs will fly.

Cherry you're not a fool, like some people. I think you are just playing a game of devil's advocate Twister. [Smile]

KE

cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> I really don't understand how you say things like this, and then also say that you want your kids to be able to self-identify with both parts of their heritage.

I would like them to be able to self-identify with both parts of their heritage. That is as opposed to giving either me or my wife a herital booting.

They don't have to go around screaming it at everybody, but I hope they aren't ashamed the way Obama seems to be. (And the way I might be with the French thing.)

It seems like Obama and a lot of white people as well are plagued by some sort of great white guilt complex. You can even see it in the way so many insist if there are promotions, job opportunities, college slots, government contracts and the like available it's perfectly fine if the more qualified, better bidding white person is blatantly discriminated against. Look at the firefighter case. It's even okay when if there are only white people and one hispanic person that qualifies, then no one should get the job.

I'm actually kind of worried about my children being discriminated against by our government, by our laws, because of a bunch of bean counters. If white people deserve to be discriminated against because of past sins, if our children are still guilty even today and need to be made to feel terrible and treated harshly (in fact like Japanese people are still given a guilt trip about Nanking, the Bataan March, and other atrocities), instead of them not getting a job or promotion or spot in a great university would it be okay if I just gave them a spanking?

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Maybe Rush, as a white guy, feels a little bit hurt, perhaps even humiliated that people like Obama don't identify with their white ancestry as much as with their black ancestry, at least in public. In Obama's case, according to his book, even to himself."

Maybe Rush, as a grown man with pretensions of deep thoughts on important matters, should mature to the point where he realizes things are not always about him, and not lash out in (what should be clear following two seconds of thought is) an ugly, divisive, and ultimately self-destructive manner(at least to his purported cause, if not to his personal finances). Whaddaya think? [Smile]

I mean, look me in the eye and tell me that you, as a guy who generally votes GOP and self-identifies as conservative, wouldn't rather that the most visible and influential person in both those worlds didn't say that.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It seems like Obama and a lot of white people as well are plagued by some sort of great white guilt complex."

Maybe you shouldn't project. [Smile] Do your kids have slanted eyes? Then you should know they can never avoid their Asian heritage no matter what they do, so a nobler choice would be to embrace it with pride. With or without the hyphenation as the case may be. Japanese-American flies fine in our reality. Black-white doesn't nearly as much. You know why Tiger pulls it off? Cause he has the Thai too, so people give up.

And besides, what's "worse" - identifying as white or as black? Which would be "easier", more convenient? And remember that Obama did not get by on affirmative action.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surprise, surprise, I don't really mind that Rush said that, but then I don't mind Michael Savage either, or Levin, Anne Coultur, Dan Patrick, or even some of the liberal guys like on Pacifica with some of their shows like Democracy Now, The Other Side, and some others.

Why?

I'm curious to know what people are really thinking, and I can usually tell when they are being completely honest about their thoughts.

How? When they say things that may actually be counterproductive or incriminating or embarrassing, they are offering some true insight into themselves. Agree or disagree, truth, even in the form of an honestly held opinion, has an inherent value.

When they offer facts or some additional insight or a different spin than others, that's got some value as well.

------------------------------------------

I agree with you to a point about Japanese-Americans doing okay interpersonally, but being discriminated against by our own government is a bit outdated as an official policy, in my opinion. I still remember Bill Clinton commenting on how if we didn't have affirmative action, our universities would be filled with nothing but Asians. Efforts have been made to be more subtle about the discrimination. Many universities now require a picture when they didn't before. Hopefully, it's on it's way out, and that's a good thing, but depending on the Supreme Court it could be back again.

Funny, I just now heard Michael Steele just say God help you if you are a white male seeking justice before a Supreme Court with Sotomayor sitting on it.

----------------------------------------------

Speaking of fathers who like conservatives, how would you like to be Angelina Jolie with Jon Voight as a dad? [Smile]

[ June 09, 2009, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: cherrypoptart ]

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

Into themselves? No doubt. Problem: Even if I were qualified, I would want to be the one getting paid to listen to Rush's problems. Can't see why you'd wanna generate revenue for HIM just for that honor...
flydye45
unregistered

What a bunch of pious willfully blind hypocrites.

First, Rush is frequently an ass. Almost half as much as the Left believes. But, like my kid's school system, they are big on early dismissal. This was a stupid thing to say. It is, of course, of interest for the hypocrites to use this to paint the whole party while they scrupulously disavow anyone who makes themselves controversial...even as they give then tenure, celebrity status, and media access that Congressmen can't get. Nope. Not one of ours...except he's rallying the base. Feh. One sided.

This last election has rotated on two axis. He's not Bush, and He's black. "At last I can prove once and for all that I'm not a closet racist by voting for a black man in a secret ballot. Whoo Hoo!" To say otherwise is lying.

Race has been a political cudgel. But it's a cudgel bought from Ned Flanders at the Leftorium. Time to use race to trot out a new president? Fly the banners! Time to nominate a SC justice? Well, Latinas get extra wisdom (Not bitterness. Not alienation. No, it's always wisdom.) It's been a nice tool for guilt politics against the sensitive and reflective. "Follow this policy because it's good for inner city kids" "But does it help them?" "What are you, some kind of racist?"

And Lord God on High knows it's been a handy cudgel for beating the Right. It seems that race does NOT give Repubicans Latinos or Blacks extra wisdom. No. In fact the opposite. Does Bush get credit for his picks? No. The opposite. His picks are ruined politically. Only one party can be seen as diverse.

Sotomayor makes questionable statements? "Well, a comment or two or three or twelve shouldn't scuttle a career." Pickering makes ONE judgement which can be (inaccurately) cast in a racial manner? "Hie him into the outer darkness forever." Means test midnight basket ball or Head Start? (Racist) Listening to KidB pontificate on 'slave culture' and wonder aloud, well, if nothing can be done, let them alone (racist). Suggest teaching a different culture? (racist) Trim a bit of fat from welfare? (racist) When folks with racially questionable attitude MOVED and joined the Conservatives for OTHER philosophical similarities unrelated to race, well one drop of ink applies to racism too.

The Left wants a dialouge on Race exactly in Holderesque fashion. From a podium with no questions. That is called a lecture.

We've heard these lectures before. Excuse me if I step out early.

cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

> Can't see why you'd wanna generate revenue for HIM just for that honor...

They don't have the radio monitors here like they do in North Korea.

Yet.

Just listening to them doesn't support them unless you buy something from their sponsors. Or participate in Arbitron research. My budgetary belt tightening is pretty non-discriminatory right now and I don't answer my phone unless I see the number calling and it's someone I know.

It's safe to listen to them. What else are you going to listen to? The sound of the wind? The same songs over and over again?

Audio books are good, but sometimes you want to get some idea about what's going on out there right now.

KnightEnder
unregistered

quote:
Rush and anyone who wants an honest discussion about race
I swear I've seen glimmers of the real Cherry and I REFUSE to believe you are an idiot or a fool no matter how hard you try to make it appear that way.

This fantasy you've created about Rush and his "possible motives" for his remarks may be fun to use as a debate tactic but it is insulting to anyone with a handle on reality or that 'really' cares about racism. And it is disgusting that you are using it to divert attention from the racist rants Rush embarks upon.

KE

Lina Inverse
Member # 6361

- posted      Profile for Lina Inverse   Email Lina Inverse       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I would like them to be able to self-identify with both parts of their heritage. That is as opposed to giving either me or my wife a herital booting.

But what if one of them chooses to primarily identify as one race or the other? Are you saying that you wouldn't be okay with that? I don't think it's right to force multiracial people to choose, but I don't think it's right not to let them choose either. They should be able to choose if they want to.

quote:
They don't have to go around screaming it at everybody, but I hope they aren't ashamed the way Obama seems to be. (And the way I might be with the French thing.)
Why do you think that he's ashamed? That's not the only reason why someone might choose to identify with one race or culture over another.

quote:
It seems like Obama and a lot of white people as well are plagued by some sort of great white guilt complex. You can even see it in the way so many insist if there are promotions, job opportunities, college slots, government contracts and the like available it's perfectly fine if the more qualified, better bidding white person is blatantly discriminated against. Look at the firefighter case. It's even okay when if there are only white people and one hispanic person that qualifies, then no one should get the job.

I'm actually kind of worried about my children being discriminated against by our government, by our laws, because of a bunch of bean counters. If white people deserve to be discriminated against because of past sins, if our children are still guilty even today and need to be made to feel terrible and treated harshly (in fact like Japanese people are still given a guilt trip about Nanking, the Bataan March, and other atrocities), instead of them not getting a job or promotion or spot in a great university would it be okay if I just gave them a spanking?

LOL nice attempt at a derail.
Posts: 457 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

" It is, of course, of interest for the hypocrites to use this to paint the whole party"

No, that was your recent "vice" president. We have our asses too. Do they have anywhere near the same pull on the party? Did Rall ever? Did Moore, even in his heyday (he was a factor, but nothing like the Lord of the Dittoheads).

Until you guys vomit this guy from a position of influence among you, yes, we will use him to bash you. This is how it works. You cannot have the guy sit in strategy meetings with the heads of the party, have the chairman of the party groveling to him, have the outgoing Vice say he's worthier than a former CoS and SecState to lead the party, and then say "why oh why do you use him to taint us". He IS you. Until you make it beyond clear that he isn't. See me use Trent Lott? No. Cause y'all did the right thing there.

KnightEnder
unregistered

I think that disturbed, "Leave Britney alone! Just leave her alone! <crying hysterically>" guy(?) Is starting a new website to get us to "Leave Rush alone! Just leave him alone! <crying hysterically>"

In fact, it might have been Cherry that I heard was starting the Leave Rush alone! Just leave him alone! website. I can't remember exactly where I heard it but it sounds logical and Rush nor the Cherry has denied it. If they want to prove it's not true why aren't they denying it? Why hasn't Cherry provided proof that he isn't making a website on which he is dressed in drag and cries hysterically demanding that everybody "Leave Rush alone! Just leave him alone!"

Just a little proof is all it would take and I would believe that this weirdness and Cherry's equally weird reinterpretation of reality and who Rush Limbaugh is in our currently shared reality (not shared with Cherry) and what he meant when he made that racist remark wasn't real. So far; nothing!? <chirp, chirp> Damn crickets!

KE

Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
What I realized today listening to Rush and Sean is that they are really really enjoying themselves. They are mean-spirited and vile people who hate everything about our president and would rather tear our country apart, a la GW, and see it crumble and fall than see a black democrat succeed in the White House. Put simply; they are just very bad people. (Add on top of that that they are members of the "haves and have mores" and will fight anything and anyone that threatens their positions and the status quo.

On the mean-spirited note, Sean is really outdoing himself in spreading outright lies of late:

President Obama:
quote:
If you actually took the number of Muslim Americans, we'd be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world.
Sean Hannity:
quote:
He honors the national day of prayer behind closed doors. Now, on his Middle East apology tour, the President calls the U.S. a "Muslim nation."
President Obama:
quote:
We do not consider ourselves a Christian nation, or a Jewish nation, or a Muslim nation. We consider ourselves a nation of citizens, who
are bound by ideals.

Sean Hannity:
quote:
The same president who insists the U.S. is not a Christian nation is now calling us a Muslim nation.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by G2:
I just realized, this thread is the modern forum equivalent of the 2 minute hate (of course, just started reading 1984! You should too.):
quote:
In George Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, the Two Minutes Hate (more properly, "Two Minutes' Hate" or "Two-Minute Hate") is a daily period in which Party members of the society of Oceania must watch a film depicting The Party's enemies (notably Emmanuel Goldstein and his followers) and express their hatred for them and the principles of democracy.

The film and its accompanying auditory and visual cues (which include a grinding noise that Orwell describes as "of some monstrous machine running without oil") are a form of brainwashing to Party members, attempting to whip them into a frenzy of hatred and loathing for Emmanuel Goldstein and the current enemy superstate. Apparently, it is not uncommon for those caught up in the hate to physically assault the telescreen, as Julia does during the scene. The film becomes more surreal as it progresses, with Goldstein's face morphing into a sheep as enemy soldiers advance on the viewers, before one such soldier charges at the screen, machine gun blazing. He morphs, finally, into the face of Big Brother at the end of the two minutes. At the end, the mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausted viewers chant "BB" over and over again, ritualistically.

Orwell's obvious reference in the sequence is to the utter demonisation of an enemy during a time of war and the exultation of the cult of personality of the leaders of totalitarian states.

C'mon Greg, do it: O-ba-ma! O-ba-ma! O-ba-ma! O-ba-ma! O-ba-ma! Everybody now, O-ba-ma! O-ba-ma! O-ba-ma! O-ba-ma! O-ba-ma!
Ah the unintentional irony of a Bush loyalist who's just discovered 1984.
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

It wasn't me that started anything about Leave Rush Alone. I'm kind of glad you all hate on him so much because then I can catch some of the controversial highlights that I missed.

I'm still trying to figure this one out though and as best I understand it what Rush said is so insulting because it was meant to be insulting.

It's not just the words themselves but the intent behind them that elevates the level of the insult. Basically, this was hate speech.

It was pretty clearly racist. Probably outright racism, but if not quite there it certainly crossed the boundary into the new nebulous area: racialism.

That assumes we know his intent of course.

-------------------------------------------

I'm trying to consider other ways Rush could have worded it. He could have left out race altogether. That's definitely a possibility. But... Obama and the media and the voters and the world have pretty much made race a central focus of the man. It would seem a bit odd to leave it out of a description of him.

Rush could have called him a black human being. I can't imagine someone not being even more offended by that. I keep coming back to the biggest insult being that Obama is called half white if Obama and the media don't generally refer to him that way. And the reason for that is ... ?

We brought up the possibility because that is not how Obama generally self-identifies. And again, the reason for that is ... ?

Maybe none of our business!

-------------------------------------------

It looks like there was probably no really appropriate way to express the thought Rush was trying to get across. Maybe that's the point then. And it's come across pretty clearly. He should just keep his big pie hole closed!

flydye45
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by RickyB:
" It is, of course, of interest for the hypocrites to use this to paint the whole party"

No, that was your recent "vice" president. We have our asses too. Do they have anywhere near the same pull on the party? Did Rall ever? Did Moore, even in his heyday (he was a factor, but nothing like the Lord of the Dittoheads).

Until you guys vomit this guy from a position of influence among you, yes, we will use him to bash you. This is how it works. You cannot have the guy sit in strategy meetings with the heads of the party, have the chairman of the party groveling to him, have the outgoing Vice say he's worthier than a former CoS and SecState to lead the party, and then say "why oh why do you use him to taint us". He IS you. Until you make it beyond clear that he isn't. See me use Trent Lott? No. Cause y'all did the right thing there.

I'm calling BS on this. Rush is certainly a big microphone for the party. However, when I compare it to the spewing hate and contempt from all levels of your side who NEVER get called on it, from Keith Olberman who is supposed to be a journalist, to that woman on Air America, to Jeneane Garafalo, to David Letterman. Bristol Palin was excoriated and ridiculed LONG before she became a public figure. Now you guys are going after the younger daughter. Conservative Hotties you want to rape. CLASS.

Jon Stewart makes a habit of distorting and lambasting. But, like the race cudgel, the 'entertainment' umbrella is also only allowed on the Left. Your supposed internal watchdogs (pit bulls with lipstick) seem extraordinarily quick to ignore such things. Your racial watchdogs don't mind the politics of personal destruction when aimed at the right.

The Left doesn't have A Rush. Because there's a lot of Rush in so so many...

TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, David Letterman is just a seething boil of hate and contempt.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, cherry has misinterpreted Rush's words to the point that they're meaningless and fly took my advice and went on a whiny rampage? Feel better now, little guy? How about get back to reality and make a real point now? No, well that's okay you can sit out and have a Juicy Juice.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flydye45:
The Left doesn't have A Rush. Because there's a lot of Rush in so so many...

No, they don't have one, because they don't let any of those figures you mention serve, even informally, as a mouthpiece to the party. None of them present themselves as the pure representative of the party line, none of them get nods from prominent officials as representative of the party. None of them advocate trying to transform the Democratic party from a wide coalition of liberal causes into a ideologically pure group.

Are there similar problems that result on both sides? Sure, but they come from opposite directions. The left may have 10 Rushes, but they each get 1% of the credit and recognition he does precisely because none of them is a dominant, authoritative voice.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE: I think the crying guy should do: "Rush! Just leave us alone! Leave us alone!"

"But, like the race cudgel, the 'entertainment' umbrella is also only allowed on the Left."

I suppose a part of you thinks you're trying to balance incorrect perceptions and striving for fairer understanding.

It's entertaining but not, I think, willfully so. The Left pundits are good at entertaining with political humor. The Right pundits are... entertaining. In a nauseating way.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

quote:
Rush could have called him a black human being.
Why do even that? He's just a guy, not a God. Guys are black, white, brown, tall, short, obese (ahem), drug addicts (ahem!), yada. Why pick on the one thing that is bound to get a rise out of his devoted audience, the guy's race? Well, duh, because it is guaranteed to get a rise out of his devoted audience. The fat-laden sarcasm wouldn't work if he called him a Christian human being, or even just a guy.
Lina Inverse
Member # 6361

quote:
I'm trying to consider other ways Rush could have worded it. He could have left out race altogether. That's definitely a possibility. But... Obama and the media and the voters and the world have pretty much made race a central focus of the man. It would seem a bit odd to leave it out of a description of him.

Rush could have called him a black human being. I can't imagine someone not being even more offended by that. I keep coming back to the biggest insult being that Obama is called half white if Obama and the media don't generally refer to him that way. And the reason for that is ... ?

We brought up the possibility because that is not how Obama generally self-identifies. And again, the reason for that is ... ?

Maybe none of our business!

I mentioned on the last page why I find it offensive: the other two reasons Rush cites (a purported lack of experience, being a human being) are obvious limitations. But Obama's heritage is not a limitation, any more than anyone else's is; It would also be offensive if he'd said JFK was "an Irish-American human being with no experience" or that Bush was "a white human being with no experience". No one's heritage is a limitation, and it's offensive to suggest otherwise. If you're going to talk about someone's limitations or flaws, choose things that are actual limitations and flaws.

There's also the corollary issue that Obama doesn't self-identify that way, and it's rude and disrespectful to ignore someone's self-identification, though as I mentioned before, I don't think this is as offensive.

RickyB
Member # 1464

"from Keith Olberman who is supposed to be a journalist, to that woman on Air America, to Jeneane Garafalo, to David Letterman."

How many of those guys have ever gotten into a pissing contest with the chairman of the DNC? Sat in on election strategy meetings? Got nominated for party leadership by an outgoing VP? Again, sorry, and it's not like it's just Rush against all our monsters, you know. You really want a count?

"Conservative Hotties you want to rape. CLASS."

Now Playboy is my spokesman? Or just because it's pro sex it speaks for me? Sorry, no.

"Bristol Palin was excoriated and ridiculed LONG before she became a public figure."

More like her mother was, and to the extent she's a public figure nobody cared or knew she lived before she became one through her mother.

rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's safe to listen to them."

By "them" I assume all windbags who spout half truths, distortions if not out right lies, hate and fear, fear fear…. “Them” as in those who use words to tear down and never build up?

Do you really believe it’s safe to listen to them?

Totally, unequivocally, to my dieing breath disagree!

Words have power. Power to create and power to destroy.

"What else are you going to listen to? The sound of the wind?"

Better the sound of the wind then the sound of passing gas.

Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree, rightleft. It's OK to listen to them, as long as you don't take them seriously and always consider what they say suspect.

Which excludes any self-identified "dittohead." [Smile]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

You’re saying that it’s safe - as long as you don't "take then seriously" really listen to what they say.

As long as you always consider which is a way of being that requires a great deal of self awareness.

There are more "dittoheads" in the world then aware people.

Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There are more "dittoheads" in the world then aware people.
As it always has been. As it always will be. [Frown]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

It’s Ok to listen but IMO it’s like being Ok with taking poison. Maybe not enough poison to kill you out right but enough to make you sick.
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I just say - I just read what Letterman said about the Palins and that was Not Acceptable to me. I mean, it was over the line even if the daughter in question had been Bristol, but since it wasn't, it was extra bad.
Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Letterman said he only makes jokes about people who have been in the news, and that has never been true of Willow Palin. There was a news report that Rudy Giuliani had invited Sarah Palin and her daughter to a Yankees game, and someone assumed that daughter was Bristol. Perhaps Letterman's staffers should have checked more carefully; but I tend to doubt that he thinks up all his own jokes, or that nobody reads his monologue beforehand to see if statements made in it are libelous. They missed this one, that's all. There is no way the producers or the network would have approved such a statement about a 14-year-old who is not a public figure, and Letterman had nothing to gain by making it. About Bristol the joke was perhaps tasteless, but Letterman probably cares a lot less about that than about whether it gets a laugh. Bristol's new career as a crusader for teenage abstinence does invite ridicule, although it is undeniably in a good cause.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just can't really get behind jokes that shame a woman for her sexuality. Especially when there's the definite implication that she should have chosen not to have that baby.

I mean, it's extra wrong when the daughter in question is the wrong, too-young one; I understand that was not what was intended, though he should still probably apologize.

But really,
1) It is totally fine, in my opinion, for young people to be having sex. I would hope that they would be using some sort of contraceptive, but that's not really my business and also those methods all fail sometimes.
2) In the event of pregnancy resulting, I think it is SO GREAT that the young lady chose to have the baby even though it wasn't planned, chose to raise it herself, and wonderful that her family is supportive of that choice and helpful to her in her hard time.

I don't actually see anything in Bristol Palin's situation that is particularly worthy of mockery.

It basically comes down to yet another instance of the Shaming of the Slut, which I think is disgusting.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds reasonable enough, and I was wrong in assuming you were subscribing to the Palins' reaction to this incident. That was reported,
quote:
In a statement to FOXNews.com, Palin accused Letterman of making "sexually perverted" and “inappropriate" comments that she doubted he would “ever dare make” about anyone else’s daughter.

"Acceptance of inappropriate sexual comments about an underage girl, who could be anyone's daughter, contributes to the atrociously high rate of sexual exploitation of minors by older men who use and abuse others," she said.

Palin's husband, Todd, echoed her sentiments, telling FOXNews.com, "Any ‘jokes’ about raping my 14-year-old are despicable. Alaskans know it, and I believe the rest of the world knows it, too."

So the Palins asserted Letterman made the joke about Willow, as Bristol is neither underage nor 14, which makes their reaction either false outrage or plain dumb.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I repeat, criticism against Rush is criticism of Rush not ALL conservatives unless you choose to identify your movement with him.

Cherry there are plenty of racists who hate Obama's guts exactly because they see him as black too. And don't try and tell us you wouldn't have been ready to skewer any liberal comentator who made the same kind of remarks against a republican , or even Obama himself. You wouldn't be suggesting he was trying to have an honest discussion on race.

Obama is considered black because he has enough Amfrican features that seeing him you would know he was black, you wouldn't know he was also white. It's the same reason my niece, who has a black father is going to be considered black but her younger sister, who looks like her mother, won't be.

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page