Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Who is your favorite ideological enemy on Ornery?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who is your favorite ideological enemy on Ornery?
Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've all got our positions and throw them around pretty well. A regular gorilla party, we are.

So, here is the thread theme-question:

As we all square off in our corners on beliefs of all kinds, who was your favorite avatar who took the other side of the argument and why?

*note, I do not presume that we ever pursuade each other.

I will start:

My favorite idealogical opposite number on the topic of the military was Stray, God rest his soul. He never gave in, he brushed away my objections as the unaffordable musings of a person already secured, and he believed in the inherent goodness of the military's merit system. But he did listen.

[ June 10, 2009, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Kuato ]

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, we have no favorites to debate, we hate our enemies, huh?
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jordan is always fun to debate.

He's one of the few people you can debate with on an emotionally charged issue where you completely disagree, but he still respects your opinion.

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like daruma and cherry. No getting through to them or any chance of honest understanding or agreement, but goddammit they make me [Smile]
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete At Home. His positions on moral issues are always straight from the heart, and he backs them with reasoned arguments based on his personal beliefs. Although I can't really call him an enemy, since I'm generally too lazy to cough up points of real substance in discussions that he graces with his presence.

For mindless entertainment value I'd nominate Ron Lambert, Daruma, and G2. Last year I'd have agreed with TommySama and put cherrypoptart on the list as well, but my unflattering first estimates of Cherry turned out to be a long way off the mark. Not that I actually agree with him of course [Smile]

Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off the top of my head I'd say Pete and Potemkyn. Although Cherry and Fly before Obama got elected were fun. Honorable mention to Jason.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by munga:
So, we have no favorites to debate, we hate our enemies, huh?

No, just that it's more akin to choosing between children than anything.

Especailly when you know that they were all in on it.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paladine. He contstructs arguments with the art of a jesuit, when the spirit so moves him.

Flydye, when he's not so damn bitter.

Cherry because he maintains his underlying honesty even when insisting on spinning like a darwish.

munga of course on stuff we disagree on. It's like the eccentric aunt you enjoy hearing go on [Smile]

cperry and LoJ are extremely classy conservatives.

Sorry if I forgot you. Some of you I don't consider different enough to include here... [Smile]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Potemkyn rocks, aye. [Smile]
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kent.

I agree with Redskullvw so much it keeps me from having anything to add, so naturally I have to debate myself about whether or not I should say anything at all. I usually lose.

[ June 11, 2009, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Kent ]

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to say Kuato because it's sometimes as out there as I am, but still has always been very nice to me. Always kind and patient, thoughtful and willing to take the time to explain the positions and answer questions. It might be disqualified though because we probably agree on most issues. Unfortunately. Or maybe not unfortunately.

I'm going to have to say Ricky and Tommysama and Rallan and KE too now though because just like in school sometimes I like to pick the people who like to pick me.

Plus, since Kuato was disqualified for not being ideologically opposed to me enough, they win because they certainly fill those shoes a lot better.

If anyone else wants me to pick them, you know what to do.

Yes, I realize this is kinda lame but I actually didn't want to respond at all because I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I'm so sensitive like that you know. I'm sorry if this defeats the point, but it was a post like this or nothing at all, and ignoring the people who voted for me seemed too rude for me to feel good about not posting at all.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

"I'm going to have to say Ricky and Tommysama and Rallan and KE too now though because just like in school sometimes I like to pick the people who like to pick me."

[Razz]

Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, that reminds me, on the SSM thing, a newbie came in briefly and I can't remember his name. But it was another Mormon and it was during the same period as Jessicarrot but not Jessicarrot. Anyway, I liked that human because he conceded on the points of evidence though he wasn't convinced. Of course I was sad I couldn't persuade him.....

who was that masked man, can't remember....

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug64
Member # 1044

- posted      Profile for Doug64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] Hey, give it time and I'm sure you'll all come to recognize me for the wonderful human being I am (again, for those of you that were here around five years ago). [Big Grin]
Posts: 2137 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page