Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » No, I'm not above this thread (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: No, I'm not above this thread
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When people found out, they got pretty pissed. The whole issue of him having gone after Clinton on the perceived grounds of adultery was pretty crappy. Especially given that he had been cheating on his own wife. And yes he had been elected- but that was before confirmation of what he had been doing. The outcry against him here was so bad, and his approval rate had dropped so much, that not only did he resign, but he didn't even take his seat in congress. We got to have yet another one of those special elections. Although since I no longer lived in his district, it didn't effect me.

So yeah he did get a huge vote for his last term, but the scandal broke and was confirmed, people started spitting bullets at him, and he ultimately did not take his seat.

I think his residual popularity is largely do to the fact he did wise up and resign in a act that signified his recognition of his own hypocrisy. And also he really has pushed mainstream, moderate conservative views- having also taken issue with the hard right wing of the party as well as taken issue with the hard left wing of the Democrats. On a national media stage, Newt is one of the few political statesmen in the Republican party actually advocating the issues that the Republicans hold as being important. And those issues generally have nothing to do with the bible thumper issues.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take back what I said. After that stuff about his tragic love affair and trying to fall back in lov with his wife, who's writing his lines, Harlequin?
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the truth finally comes out.

He's a frustrated Romance author! [LOL]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"the legal dissolving of a pretty ugly marriage and not consider either one to be a pariah. But by the time he was in Washington and we learned that he was stiffing someone else instead of his wife, and that consensus was that she was still a very nice person who didn't deserve the treatment."

Did his kids deserve to be in the position that they had to ask the people at church to donate for their dinners? What does the niceness of mother have to do with child support?

I need to remember this thread when people tell me that nowadays there's no problem of men shirking their responsibilities.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Member # 2439

- posted      Profile for Mormegil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I need to remember this thread when people tell me that nowadays there's no problem of men shirking their responsibilities.
Who actually claims men don't shirk their responsibilities any more? That's, well, dumb.
Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I am not above this thread either, I note the celebrated governor has now penned an apology which has been published in several South Carolina newspapers.

http://www.thestate.com/editorial-columns/story/869645.html

But Sanford, although rightly condemned for what may have been the hypocrisy of his harsh criticism of Bill Clinton and others, hardly makes the cut for such antics. The best scandal I have heard so far, which reduced me to helpless laughter when I chanced upon it recently, involves the retired Illinois politico who came to public notice when his wife walked in on him while he was engaged with two prostitutes in his children's playroom on Sunday morning. Two? In his children's playroom? On Sunday morning, with his wife home? That man set a standard for indiscretion to which Governor Sanford can only aspire - or not as the case may be. Although at least the Illinois gent waited until he was out of office before falling victim to such an embarrassing contretemps.

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot to mention, hobsen, that the politico's wife did an "El Kabong" bit on him with an electric guitar when she found them together. [LOL]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the guitar I did not know, Wayward Son. I had also forgotten the name of the politician. But while Findlaw asserts, "...much remains to be clarified in the case of the Skoiens," I think that case has been clarified more than enough. Likewise the El Kabong skit sounds fascinating, especially with a superhero who cannot remember his own war cry: "KABOOOOOONG!" or "OLAYYYYEEEE!" or whatever. That reminds me of when my son used to enjoy George of the Jungle, who used to swing on vines almost like Tarzan, except for a marked tendency to swing into tree trunks rather than between them.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page