Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Why Arabs lose wars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why Arabs lose wars
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stumbled across an article at
Dangerous Meta
Why Arabs Lose Wars

It gives a great deal of insight into Arabic militarys,

LetterRip

[This message has been edited by LetterRip (edited September 04, 2002).]

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baldar
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Baldar   Email Baldar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would submit that given Letterips second article that leadership is the key and while Arab officers are technically able to fight there is little reason for them to lead. Leadership is also established by aristrocracy rather than meritocracy, this is a key element in allowing good leadership to rise to the top.

That tied to typical Arab leadership which tends towards the paranoid (something democracy does not necessarily have to worry about) you will see the rise of good officers to happen only on rare occasions and little or no training centers for military leadership.

The second article is an excellent and well written piece.

Posts: 3834 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for seagull   Email seagull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of a joke:

It was not the fault of the Arab militaries that they lost their wars against Israel. They were only following the instructions of their Russian advisors that were based on the time honored strategy: "pull back and wait for winter"! After all, it always worked for the Russians.

Part of what makes jokes funny is that they have a kernel of truth to them. The article shows a tendency in Arab military officers to deflect responsibility, blame bad orders for any failure and pin it on foreigners if possible. That base in reality is what makes the joke funny.

Posts: 1910 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Bob
Member # 791

- posted      Profile for Mr. Bob   Email Mr. Bob   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was an excellent article on why Arabs lose wars. I hope they don't read it. Although I have a feeling they would just think we were trying to invade them with Western values.
I work for the USN. One of the great things about why the Navy works so well (like a machine) is that non comms have a tremendous amout of power and ability. It is the dream of most enlisted to become a Chief.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page