Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » What things make you patriotic?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What things make you patriotic?
scouser1
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I saw my city from the river (in a boat (ferry) obviously [Wink] ) with a good friend of mine. He is away from Liverpool for university and only comes home every few weeks.
As we sailed along ( [Smile] ) he told me how seeing it from where we were makes him love it so much more than if he was still living here (absence makes the heart grow fonder and all [Smile] ) and it did kind of bring out in me how proud I was to come from such an ever changing, richly cultured place. And I got patriotic. Not of the whole of England, but just of where I come from.
Now to me, that really doesnt happen very often. I've grown up hating this place, dreaming of getting away as soon as possible. But seeing it from someone else's point of view has changed my own perception.
There is obviously bits of it I still despise but who doesnt get that? But I know that no matter where in the world I end up, this place will always have a special place in my heart. [Smile]

This song will always sum it up.

Also, pics.

Anyone else had something happen thats made them feel particularly patriotic?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I have recounted before, the trip with my fiancee to see the hill on Dorchester Heights where General Washington implanted his batteries to drive General Howe out of Boston. That was at the time in the solidly black suburb of Roxbury, and there was a race riot going on, so my future wife was scared to death and I was decidedly nervous. But all we saw was the hill, the tower erected as a memorial, and a lot of air and sunlight. Quiet enough really on a Sunday afternoon, with householders out front tending their flowers. And it probably enhances the experience if you are passionately in love.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I occasionally wear red-maple-leaf decorated boxers, usually to major occasions. Some people wear patriotism on their sleeve... I've chosen to keep my deep love for Canada on the down low. [Smile]
Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately I'm feeling about as patriotic as the nobility in France felt as they were being marched to the guillotine.

Frankly, I'm not as impressed by the people as I might have been once upon a time. I guess cynicism is creeping in with old age.

--------------------------------------------

But to answer the question, the land itself sometimes makes me feel a bit patriotic. Looking out over fields of grain, or out from shore to the Gulf of Mexico, gazing at a clear blue sky and being grateful for the relative peace we enjoy for the moment so that we can enjoy a moment of peace.

I probably didn't explain it right, but there is the sense that even though the winds of change have swept across the land and changed the political landscape under our feet so that once solid footing is now a dangerous potential sinkhole, I'm still in the place that I'm supposed to be, for better or worse.

If it could better be desribed as the longing for a comfort zone or patriotism I'm sure I couldn't say, but I imagine it's a common feeling shared by humanity for the place they call home.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading the Constitution. There's a great country in there.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSRT
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for PSRT   Email PSRT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baseball, fresh pies, mountains, grilling, reading the declaration (or the constitution, good call scifibum).
Posts: 2152 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Reading the Constitution. There's a great country in there.

There was wasn't there? I miss it.
Mormegil
Member # 2439

- posted      Profile for Mormegil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt patriotic when visiting Washington D.C. for the first time. The monuments... really quite breathtaking. Seeing it on TV is nothing. Everyone goes on about the Lincoln memorial, but for me the Jefferson one gave me goosebumps. And the Washington monument is actually pretty spectacular in person.

But that feeling didn't last. Because it's about what we were or could be, and not what we are. What we are right now doesn't make me patriotic. Sometimes I feel "we may be crummy, but at least we're not as crummy as other countries" but I usually don't feel actual patriotism.

Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DC at night, especially. A great rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner" or even Lee Greenwood's "I'm Proud to be an American." Winning at the Olympics. Reading a news report about somebody doing the right thing.

Alas, not anything from DC -- senate, house, etc. Not the fireworks or anything for the 4th of July this year.

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ineteractig with other Americans and being reminded of how decent, straight-forward and generally optimistic Americans are.

Central Washington DC. Despite the dweebs that work there I find the sight of the capital pretty awesome.

In terms of the kind of region specific patriotism Scouser mentions I'd say anytime I am in rural Kentucky, particularly the mountains I am pretty awestruck.

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ingenuity (like smart new technologies), generosity (like the Marshall Plan), cool expressions of art (like Rockn'roll)... that's it off the top of my head.

Oh yeah, great quintessentially American writing, like my main man Sam L. Clemens.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by JoshCrow:
I occasionally wear red-maple-leaf decorated boxers, usually to major occasions. Some people wear patriotism on their sleeve... I've chosen to keep my deep love for Canada on the down low. [Smile]

[LOL] Love it! Thank you Josh, I needed a laugh like that today.
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Ineteractig with other Americans and being reminded of how decent, straight-forward and generally optimistic Americans are."
I like this. For me it's come two times recently. I made my first trip to New York City, saw what a complete mad house it was, and loved it. Also, seeing where the towers stood surprised me in how much it moved me, though I hated how the images of them falling were used by some on the 4th.

The other times have come as recently as today, when I go to work and hear veterans recount the good, brave, and terrible things they did in the name of their country, and the price they continue to pay for doing so. You can't help but feel pride and share a little in their guilt, but there is no escaping feeling the connection to country in all its complexity.

Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page