Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Celebrity Deaths

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Celebrity Deaths
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People eventually die, and maybe they deserve a mention.

[ July 18, 2009, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
July 17, 2009

Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies at 92

Someone named Tom wrote a nice tribute, “Always a great reporter and moderator, neither obsequious nor obtrusive. A poet of the news, never equaled. How lucky we were.”

At least he had a good long life.

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walter Cronkite – I believed everything that man said. I can still see him removing his spectacles and hear his deep voice announcing the death of a President. I believe his You Are There TV series gave me my interest in American History and yes I am that old. To Londoners, living in post-war Britain, he was following in the footsteps of that other great American reporter Ed Murrow. Still Walter Cronkite had a good innings so I’ll too celebrate his life.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank McCourt, now.
Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

quote:
NEW YORK — Frank McCourt, the beloved raconteur and former public school teacher who enjoyed post-retirement fame as the author of "Angela's Ashes," the Pulitzer Prize-winning "epic of woe" about his impoverished Irish childhood, died Sunday of cancer.

McCourt, who was 78, had been gravely ill with meningitis and recently was treated for melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer and the cause of his death, said his publisher, Scribner. He died at a Manhattan hospice, his brother Malachy McCourt said.

There are an abundance of tributes online. Could happen to any of us also. His age had little to do with his death.

[ July 19, 2009, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

hobsen
Member # 2923

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Harry Patch -- the last surviving British soldier from World War I -- died Saturday at the age of 111, Britain's Ministry of Defence said.

His death came a week after fellow British World War I veteran Henry Allingham died at the age of 113...

He fought and was seriously wounded in Ypres, Belgium, in 1917 at the Battle of Passchendaele, in which 70,000 of his fellow soldiers died -- including three of his close friends.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

hobsen
Member # 2923

quote:
MANILA, Philippines — Huge crowds reminiscent of the 1986 "people power" demonstration took to Manila's streets Monday to honor the passing of former President Corazon Aquino, who captured the hearts of Filipinos by ousting a brutal dictator and keeping democracy alive in the Philippines.
Of course the United States supported her predecessor, but most Filipinos seem to have thought she represented at least a modest improvement.
PSRT
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for PSRT   Email PSRT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He fought and was seriously wounded in Ypres, Belgium, in 1917 at the Battle of Passchendaele, in which 70,000 of his fellow soldiers died -- including three of his close friends.
Just a little fact check: Passchedaele claimed more like 600,000 lives.

"More than any other battle, Passchendaele has come to symbolise the horrific nature of the great battles of the First World War. In terms of the dead, the Germans lost approximately 260,000 men, while the British Empire forces lost about 300,000"

From wiki.

Posts: 2152 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

Thanks for the correction, PSRT. I did not think to check that figure. And that figure makes clear why I prefer the troubles of today.
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Les Paul, guitar innovator and responsible, directly or indirectly, for so much of the music I love.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8200528.stm

Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

What a life! Glad you saw that. Growing up in the early 1950s, Les Paul and Mary Ford were like nothing else around.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page