Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Clichés that bug you

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clichés that bug you
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Clichés bug you?

My top three

“Everything happens for a reason.”
“There’s a purpose for everything”
“When one door closes another door opens”

When people say these things to me I try to accept them in the spirit their intended -that the statements aren’t just meant to comfort me but to reassure themselves that life makes sense and so I smile

In my most negative state the clichés really bug me

- Personally I believe in cause and effect so the first statement means little to me.

The second statement means to me that some greater something is messing with me, all for the greater whatever, and that I should just get over it.

And the third about doors… are there doors or is it necessity that we walk through... Are trap doors included in the doors that might open?

Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Every cloud has a silver lining."

That one bug you to? Obviously, the phrases are meant to put a positive spin on something negative...I guess it's just easier to say a coined phrase.

Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't watch certain news programs anymore because the host will say the same tired cliches, or just worn out phrases.

"Under the cover of darkness..."

"Behind closed doors"

"Let not your heart be troubled"

"Your a great American my friend"

"left wing radicals"

"neo-conservatism"

Tired, tired, TIRED! ( in my best Chris Rock voice. )

Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Every cloud has a silver lining."
I'd put that on my list.
I wonder where that saying originated - do people see "linings" in clouds.

I agree its just easier, I don't think people really spend much time thinking about what they say.

Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

You've never seen a silver lined cloud?
It's quite nice to see....
The cliche points out that even a rain cloud, which is seen as dark, dreary, has some positive aspect to it. That, and the cliches you mentioned, are used in an uplifting way.

-"I just found out that I can't get that house I wanted...."
-"Everything happens for a reason...." meaning, maybe you weren't meant to have that house, and now something better might come along.

They help you stay out of the rut of pessimism.

Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every silver lining has its dark cloud
Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I wonder where that saying originated - do people see "linings" in clouds."

A dark cloud backlit by sun typically has a brilliantly shining silver grey edge.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Everything happens for a reason...."

Well, everything does, but that is of course a matter of retrospective cause and effect.

The corny expression is designed to make us look not at how our hoped for outcomes have been botched but at what opportunities the botching might create.

It's an optimistic way of saying 'get over it and get on with it'.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

I don't agree with that. It's not "get over it" its "instead of focusing on the bad, look at the good". I believe thats a stark difference.
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greg, Greg... It's "Every silver lining's got a touch of gray." [Smile]
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
News reports that start with "In a shocking..." or "In a startling...". They're so overused that they've become meaningless, and if a breaking story is shocking or startling then it should be able to stand on its own two feet.

I'll let "in breaking news..." slide though. It may be a cliched phrase, but at least it's still only used when it means something.

Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidB
Member # 3016

- posted      Profile for KidB   Email KidB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I despise the use of the word "human" as an adjective, as in "this novel presents a very human story of blah diddy blah..." or "his demeanor was very natural and human."

Human as opposed to what? Porcine? Be more specific.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KidB:
I despise the use of the word "human" as an adjective, as in "this novel presents a very human story of blah diddy blah..." or "his demeanor was very natural and human."

Human as opposed to what? Porcine? Be more specific.

I think the idea there is to try and describe something as "personal", "touching", or "poignant" while sounding suitably aloof and academic. That's actually pretty mild by the standards of fluffy Humanities jargon.
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Life isn't fair" - Always repeated eagerly by those who work tirelessly to prove that it's true.
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

-"Everything happens for a reason...." meaning, maybe you weren't meant to have that house, and now something better might come along.

“Meant to have” is a huge assumption as it presumes a ‘master plan’ kind of thinking or belief and contains a hint of destiny, fate, luck… the gods.

rightleft22
Member # 2832

“Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” whenever I hear that I want to tell the person to F off.
Rallan
Member # 1936

"It just wasn't meant to be."

Well gee, thanks for not telling me before I made an ass of myself [Smile]

JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I'm fortunate to be done with those days, my personal favorite is the scourge of dating/matchmaking websites that somehow ends up somewhere in the opening paragraph of every banal woman's self-description: "I like to have fun".

For years, I eagerly awaited someone who likes "having fun"! Gosh, a whole lot of people out there seem to hate having fun, so it really helps you stand out, right? Especially since my idea of having fun would be to operate a pneumatic drill right between your eyes after I read that, because you won't be needing your brain any longer.

Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm noticing that most of the cliches listed here fall into the general category of "things people say to you when something bad has just happened to you." Perhaps this category of cliches is worse than the rest, or maybe we're all more likely to be annoyed at the phrases when we're in the situation that someone might be saying "every dark cloud has a silver lining."

Personally, I am annoyed by:

Any reference to giving 110%
"The best defense is a good offense"

There are probably loads more, but they won't come to mind until I'm around someone who says them too much. I think that watching less TV (particularly listening to sports announcers) has freed me from many annoying cliches.

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"at this time"

It's used to lend more gravitas to a brush off. "We have decided that we can't give you the information at this time." - as if deliberation took place on what time would be better.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"think outside of the box" which is now endlessly bandied about by people incapable thinking outside the box.

You guys mentioned a bunch I hate too.
quote:
“Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” whenever I hear that I want to tell the person to F off.
That's attributed to Nietzche a man who spent the las half of his life both unkilled but not made stronger by mental illness.

"God helps those that help themselves" Gee what a great God. (Had a long argument once in Sunday school about whether that phrase was in the Bible. It's not, although I'm guess most of you guys know it's Franklin.)

"There's one perfect person out there for everyone" 1 person, just 1? Amongst billions of people? Screw that.

"The Terrorists" like they all belong to one orginization with the same goals and strategies.

"Ordinary everyday people",

"patriotic Americans"(which would be almost all of them)

"respect for the office of______,"

" serious questions about______" (how the media and politicians spread rumors, I'm looking at you Dobbs

"This is a Christian nation" and other reference to America's Christian heritage. Even the Christian colonies were founded by Christians fleeing other sects of Christians back in Europe.

"brainstorming"

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

"great sense of humour"

So does that mean that they laugh at the same things I do, or does it mean I'm going to have to kill them with an icepick because they thought Full House was the greatest sitcom ever?

Oh and two cliches that I have to give the thumbs up to because of Viking's "the terrorists" reminder.

"If X then the terrorists have won"

and

"Why do you hate America?"

They've gone from earnest jingoism to earnest mockery of jingoism to empty mockery of any sense of belonging at all. They've been elevated to the point where using them in any context at all is equivalent to calling the other guy a vapid moron, so I can only applaud them.

Lina Inverse
Member # 6361

- posted      Profile for Lina Inverse   Email Lina Inverse       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably the one that gets me steamed the most is "there's no smoke without fire"; not only is it untrue, the assumption that all rumors and allegations must have some truth to them is deeply repellent to me. Sometimes rumors are just flat-out wrong.
Posts: 457 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rallan:
"great sense of humour"

So does that mean that they laugh at the same things I do, or does it mean I'm going to have to kill them with an icepick because they thought Full House was the greatest sitcom ever?

The sweetest mullet of all time, a guy who does Popeye impressions, and the Danny-Jesse-Becky love triangle that imbued every smooch with the potential for murderous rage, and you dare malign the greatness of Full House?
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jump the shark.

Someone had to do it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"No pain, no gain"

I prefer my motto of "No pain, no pain."

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

"Don't worry be happy"

any conversation containing the words "the secret"

Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ï don't care how a guy looks, intelligence and a sense of humor are more important"

[ July 30, 2009, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: Viking_Longship ]

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

"Size doesn’t matter"
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

aka the heisenberg Indeterminacy principle? [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page