Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Drinking on the job

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drinking on the job
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a problem with Obama having a beer at a ball game or to facilitate a conversation.

However, I think I would object if he had six or seven beers. I suppose I think that the Pres. needs to be possessed of his faculties, and shouldn't voluntarily abandon them.

I work in Draper, UT, and one time I heard a guy tell his supervisor that he was gonna go have a beer during his lunch break. She responded with some vehemence, "You can't do that! You can't have ANY alcohol in you at work." However, the same company has offices in San Jose, and it's common for teams at that location to have beer and wine during working hours if the team has a pot luck or if there's some kind of special event (like somebody is retiring or whatever). One director even had "wine Fridays" every week where she would bring some wine to the office and hold Q&A with her staff in the afternoon.

(I was lucky enough to attend a team pot luck recently in San Jose, and I swear one guy pounded about five beers. Nobody looked askance. I was more moderate, feeling that I needed to stay awake the rest of the day.)

Our offices in China apparently have beer taps in the break rooms.

It's amusing that the attitudes within the company I work for vary so widely. It's unthinkable to have a beer with your meal (off the clock) in Draper, UT, but elsewhere it's common and accepted to drink on the clock as long as it's a team activity, and in whatever circumstances allow one to draw a beer in Shanghai.

From TV (never in person) I get the impression that some professions permit keeping a stocked bar in an office, or at least a bottle of Scotch and some glasses in a drawer.

I'm interested to hear about other policies and experiences and opinions on this topic.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The basic metric should be "does it negatively affect job performance?". All else being equal, the only thing a company should care about is performance, and the responsibility rests with the employee to provide that performance; not with a company's attempts at micro-managing private activities.
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. However, if a company had a policy that said "no drinking on the job" and someone did, the company would certainly be in the right to fire that person if they so desired.
Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mytreeisempty
Member # 6017

- posted      Profile for mytreeisempty   Email mytreeisempty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things would surely get interesting if there was a keg on tap in our teachers' room.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Massachusetts, we sometimes had beer Fridays, when the company officers would talk to us and we would drink beer. Occassionally, I'd have a beer with lunch. Never cocktails or wine.

I think you have to make more in stock than in salary before you can keep a wet bar in your office.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the grocery store I used to work at, a manager came in one afternoon wasted drunk. Somebody started talking about the store's corporate manager, to which he replied "THIS IS WHAT I THINK OF LINDA" and dropped his pants. He lost his job, but rehired a few weeks later after some bargaining between the company and union. I lol'd
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page